Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-27-2011, 03:16 AM   #391
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB View Post
It's a term used by salespeople. If one makes calls trying to sell a product, one either calls someone or some company that has already expressed some sort of interest or one can try cold calls. Cold-calling is making unsolicited contact in the hope of a sale. In my experience the term is most frequently used in the context of making telephone calls.
Agreed - it most commonly refers to phone calling, but when it's displayed on a street sign, it's referring to calling at people's houses.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:57 PM   #392
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Thanks for the responses. We use cold calling in the context of telephone calls. We call them solicitors when they come to your house. It was just an odd location for a sign on a post along the beach/waterfront pathway/esplanade.

Last night I got to experience a proper pub quiz night. That was fun! I went out for food and drinks with one of my English friends. We did rather well when you combined our American and British knowledge. I was completely lost on the food category, but I learned lots about different types of English biscuits!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2011, 04:30 PM   #393
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Thanks for the responses. We use cold calling in the context of telephone calls. We call them solicitors when they come to your house. It was just an odd location for a sign on a post along the beach/waterfront pathway/esplanade.

Last night I got to experience a proper pub quiz night. That was fun! I went out for food and drinks with one of my English friends. We did rather well when you combined our American and British knowledge. I was completely lost on the food category, but I learned lots about different types of English biscuits!
My daughter is a solicitor (corporate law). It's a pretty lucrative profession!
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:36 PM   #394
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, it's a different meaning to be a solicitor in American versus British English.

Somewhere in this thread someone asked about tea and coffee vending machines. I was at a ferry terminal and noticed that their machine also had minestrone and tomato soups for sale. I have never seen soup in a vending machine before.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:24 PM   #395
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
Quote:
I do try to blend in. It's just weird that it's always Canada.
It's not just England. I am in phone support and I talk to English-speaking people from all over the world. Almost every day, someone will ask me if I am from Canada. I have never lived in Canada.
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2011, 09:27 PM   #396
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
BG, in most of the US you can get arrested for solicitation.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:33 PM   #397
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
BG, in most of the US you can get arrested for solicitation.
Ha ha! That type of solicitation has an entirely different meaning!
Old 10-03-2011, 09:33 PM   #398
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Yes, it's a different meaning to be a solicitor in American versus British English.

Somewhere in this thread someone asked about tea and coffee vending machines. I was at a ferry terminal and noticed that their machine also had minestrone and tomato soups for sale. I have never seen soup in a vending machine before.
I seem to recall having seen soup sold in machines here in the States ... somewhere in my distant past ... at least once or twice ... I think it might have been chicken noodle?
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:36 PM   #399
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

The other thing I find amusing is that where I work they have a single vending machine that sells beverages and food so your bag of crisps and chocolate bars come out just as cold as your soda.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:24 AM   #400
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I seem to recall having seen soup sold in machines here in the States ... somewhere in my distant past ... at least once or twice ... I think it might have been chicken noodle?
Yes, our drinks vending machine at work has tomato soup. It's actually quite nice, certainly better than the tea, which is vile.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:10 PM   #401
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Having grown up on Campbell's Condensed Cream of Tomato Soup, made with whole milk instead of water (and only 1/2 a can of that). Or on special days, home made tomato soup made with vine ripened hand squeezed tomato juice, whole milk roux and fresh spices. I find any tomato soup that comes out of a vending machine vile!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:34 PM   #402
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, our drinks vending machine at work has tomato soup. It's actually quite nice, certainly better than the tea, which is vile.

Do you mean all tea is vile or only The tea in the vending machine?
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:59 PM   #403
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I have never dared to try the tea in the machine. I have tried the coffee, and it was vile enough that I now save the packets of Nescafe from my hotel room and bring them into work.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:31 AM   #404
vans
Zealot
vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Elonix 621eb, Asus Transformer, Sony PRS505
Many years ago we had a vending machine at work that served coffee, tea, hot chocolate and soup. The problem was it only had one dispensing tube. Therefore you tended to get a faint taste of the previous drink. One day it went badly wrong and had the machine equivalent of a nervous breakdown. I am convinced that it dispensed everything it had into my cup. The coffee/tea/chocolate/soup drink it gave me was memorable.
vans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:05 AM   #405
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
ISo I ordered a drink in a pub on Friday and was asked again if I am from Canada. I don't get it why I am always asked that question here.
They are giving you the benefit of the doubt
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote