Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-19-2011, 03:56 PM   #361
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
German might be the reason, I think - altough there are limits to that.
with Slavonic languages it's quite the same - altough (being Polish native) I'd rather understand bits of spoken than written Russian because I never managed to get cyryllic in my head.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:26 PM   #362
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
What is the proper way to speak time in England that is like 13:00 or 13:05 for example? We would say thirteen hundred and thirteen-oh-five.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2011, 03:29 PM   #363
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
What is the proper way to speak time in England that is like 13:00 or 13:05 for example? We would say thirteen hundred and thirteen-oh-five.
Yes, we'd say the same if we were using the 24h clock. In normal conversation, of course, we'd just say "one o'clock" and "five past one".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:30 PM   #364
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
If people are using the 24 hour clock (which wouldn't be usual in normal speech) I think it would be the same. Otherwise, that would be 1 'o' clock and 5 past 1.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:30 PM   #365
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
The 24-hour clock is much more used in Continental Europe than in Britain.

In my francophone part of Switzerland we say "treize heures" and "treize heures cinq". We normally always use the 24h clock when making appointments, but in my experience that's quite rare in England.

Last edited by DMB; 09-16-2011 at 03:33 PM.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2011, 03:31 PM   #366
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, we'd say the same if we were using the 24h clock. In normal conversation, of course, we'd just say "one o'clock" and "five past one".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
If people are using the 24 hour clock (which wouldn't be usual in normal speech) I think it would be the same. Otherwise, that would be 1 'o' clock and 5 past 1.
Hmm...jinx!
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:32 PM   #367
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

LOL
Old 09-16-2011, 03:36 PM   #368
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks! I was booking transportation and they always speak in the 24 hour clock at this service. She understood what I meant, but I wondered what the proper way was.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:14 AM   #369
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
If it was necessary to emphasise that is was the early afternoon being referred to, one might say "one pm" or "one oh five pm".

But most people would understand "thirteen hundred" or "thirteen oh five".

George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four starts "It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen" which immediately tells the reader that something's wrong or different.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:45 AM   #370
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Pretty much all digital stuff uses 24 hr now - or give an option.

I do like it, but still find myself mentally working out the "real" time counting on from 12 !
Even tho I know 13,14, and 15 at least, really ...

Duh.....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:08 AM   #371
vans
Zealot
vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Elonix 621eb, Asus Transformer, Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Pretty much all digital stuff uses 24 hr now - or give an option.

I do like it, but still find myself mentally working out the "real" time counting on from 12 !
Even tho I know 13,14, and 15 at least, really ...

Duh.....
Even after all these years I still do the same for Centigrade. I mentally convert to Fahrenheit.
vans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:55 PM   #372
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Impressive! Too much work to mentally convert. Since the temperature is pretty consistent, I've just memorized what the range of 12 to 17C equates to. Actually I'm sitting in an English pub typing this message on my mobile. I thought it might be a little geeky on a Friday night to break out the ereader. The reason I asked about 13:05 before is because I wondered if Brits said "oh" instead if zero. However I was listening to someone give a phone number earlier and noticed that he said "oh" instead of zero. I thought that was just a sloppy American thing.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:03 PM   #373
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

In telephone numbers, credit card numbers - anywhere that there's no ambiguity - the number zero will always be spoken as "oh" in British English.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:17 PM   #374
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

That's very interesting (to me). Thanks, Harry. We do the same. Bizarrely the table of 4 next to me is talking about Kindles! Today I learned the expression umming and arring. Never heard that one. However they thought the equivalent American expression of hemming and hawing was equally strange. I was told that they always learn such weird things when I come to visit! Anyway, tomorrow I've got planned a lovely walk on the downs assuming the weather is as brilliant as it was today! I think we talked about that many pages ago on this thread.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:39 PM   #375
vans
Zealot
vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Elonix 621eb, Asus Transformer, Sony PRS505
Quote:
That's very interesting (to me). Thanks, Harry. We do the same. Bizarrely the table of 4 next to me is talking about Kindles! Today I learned the expression umming and arring. Never heard that one. However they thought the equivalent American expression of hemming and hawing was equally strange. I was told that they always learn such weird things when I come to visit! Anyway, tomorrow I've got planned a lovely walk on the downs assuming the weather is as brilliant as it was today! I think we talked about that many pages ago on this thread.
The Downs. I love walking on the Downs. The weather forecast for Southern England is cloudy but dry tomorrow. So hopefully you will keep dry. If I see someone with a Sony PRS-350, 950, NOOKcolor, K3 Wifi, and an iPhone 4, I will say hello :-)

Re "oh" and "zero", I have developed the bad habit of using both, in the same number string.

Last edited by vans; 09-23-2011 at 03:41 PM.
vans is offline   Reply With Quote