Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Should all ebooks be in Comic Sans?
Yes, it would be more useful to remember what you read 7 6.42%
No, it isn't necessary 17 15.60%
Don't be ridiculous! Of course not! 85 77.98%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-31-2011, 04:26 PM   #31
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
I don't actually dislike Comic Sans, but the OP article is hilariously bad. The idea that we retain information based on how hard it is to read is ludicrous. We retain information based on how meaningful it is to us.

I remember a study in college where they gave subjects 3-letter nonsense words to memorize and 3-letter regular words to memorize. The actual words were much easier to memorize because they had meaning and the subjects could picture those meanings in their heads. They weren't remembering the arrangements of letters, in other words, they were remembering what those letters represented.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:33 PM   #32
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
˙˙ʇı pɐǝɹ oʇ pɐǝɥ ɹıǝɥʇ uo puɐʇs oʇ ƃuıllıʍ ǝq plnoʍ ǝuoʎuɐ ʇqnop ı ɹǝʌǝʍoɥ unɟ sı sıɥʇ
I can read this about as well as the Comic Sans!!

It's weird, I saw this on my computer, but since I'm at work I am doing this post on my android phone and on Opera Mobile, Dolphin HD, and the stock browser this font has a lot of invalid characters in it.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2011, 06:37 PM   #33
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
For me, Comic Sans would be fine for its original purpose (for the text in comic book word balloons) and for short strings of text like headings. However, when it comes to the main body of an ebook I prefer a standard serif typeface, with Georgia being one of my favorites.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:00 PM   #34
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
And destroy one of the advantages of e-books (albeit a small advantage), the ability to change fonts?
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:33 PM   #35
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
i find comic sans hard to take seriously
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2011, 07:42 PM   #36
jezebel
Fanatic
jezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kindle Fire (5th Gen), Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
i find comic sans hard to take seriously
Me too. I think it's a cruel, cruel inside joke.
jezebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:46 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
We can't use comic sans. The poll over in that other thread proves that more people prefer a serif font. Is there a comic serif?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:48 PM   #38
zespectre
BookMonkey
zespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: NOOK, iPod Touch, Asus Netbook
The Font Conference (Humorous video related to this topic...sort of)
http://www.collegehumor.com/video/35...ont-conference

Last edited by zespectre; 05-31-2011 at 07:52 PM.
zespectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:20 PM   #39
jezebel
Fanatic
jezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kindle Fire (5th Gen), Nook Color
Comic Sans to the rescue!!
jezebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:12 PM   #40
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
˙˙ʇı pɐǝɹ oʇ pɐǝɥ ɹıǝɥʇ uo puɐʇs oʇ ƃuıllıʍ ǝq plnoʍ ǝuoʎuɐ ʇqnop ı ɹǝʌǝʍoɥ unɟ sı sıɥʇ
¡ǝןdoǝd ǝɯos ǝsɐǝןd sdɐɥɹǝd ʇɥƃıɯ ɥɔıɥʍ 'uoıʇɐɔoן ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ uı suoʇʇnq ǝɥʇ ʇnd pןnoʍ ʇı puɐ ˙uʍop ǝpısdn ɹǝpɐǝɹ ǝɥʇ uɹnʇ ʇsnɾ pןnoɔ noʎ 'ɹǝpɐǝɹ ǝɥʇ ǝʌoɯ noʎ uǝɥʍ suoıʇɐʇuǝıɹo sǝɥɔʇıʍs ʇı ǝɹǝɥʍ ǝɹnʇɐǝɟ ʇɐɥʇ ǝʌɐɥ ʇ,usǝop ɹǝpɐǝɹ ɹnoʎ sɐ ƃuoן sɐ
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:45 AM   #41
Michael McLovin
Enthusiast
Michael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with others

Device: Desktop PC when i'm in the office pretending to work, kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
comic sans is an abomination.

Seconded.
Michael McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:28 PM   #42
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael McLovin View Post
Seconded.
But even Comic Sans is better than Arial.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:24 PM   #43
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I like Lucida Casual better

Comic Sans is a nice font, when used properly. It's its widespread use as a "I want to be original, oh, here's this nice font, I bet no one has used it before and I'll be the king of mambo" font that's disgusting. It does not happen only with fonts, it's the same with dingbats or "effects" in presentations
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:31 PM   #44
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:39 PM   #45
DrDln
Banned
DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I used comic sans in part of title in my book and received immediate advice. Don't use comic sans if you want readers to take you seriously. BTW, I didn't take that criticism too seriously.

But to use comic sans in entire manuscript is silly, IMO. It's the content that people pay attention to not the fonts.
DrDln is offline   Reply With Quote