Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Should all ebooks be in Comic Sans?
Yes, it would be more useful to remember what you read 7 6.42%
No, it isn't necessary 17 15.60%
Don't be ridiculous! Of course not! 85 77.98%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-30-2011, 06:41 AM   #1
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Should all ebooks be in Comic Sans?

This article suggests that books in slightly harder to read fonts such as Comic Sans allow readers to remember more details than crisp fonts such as Arial.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...30/3230891.htm
The question posed was: should all ebooks be in Comic Sans?

Last edited by AprilHare; 05-30-2011 at 06:43 AM.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:51 AM   #2
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
You'd think they weren't being serious, but the studies imply readers remember more this way. It does look rather silly though, and typographers would have our heads on a stick..
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2011, 08:13 AM   #3
Shimarenda
Addict
Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Tablet
With my reading speed, I'm not sure I need another impediment to finishing a book.
Shimarenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:15 AM   #4
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Arrrgghh... another shock, horror, the eReaders'll get you article though I suspect this one is influenced by the source being upside down...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:33 AM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I want to remember the story instead of the typeface.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2011, 08:53 AM   #6
teadonkey
Zealot
teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
I don't think so at all. Maybe using a crazy font could help people study information, but when it comes to just reading for fun... is it really that necessary to remember ever detail?
teadonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:05 AM   #7
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I use that font for my emails at work, but there is no way that I would want it to be used for a book. More than one page of it, I get a headache. I had heard that it did get people's attention though and that is why I use it for correspondence. But, give me just a plain font for reading.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:12 AM   #8
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
It hurts my eyes. I would simply give up on trying to read a whole book in it.

ETA I think this is nonsense:

Quote:
Jonah Lehrer is a neuroscience writer and a contributing editor to Wired Magazine. He fears that e-readers, with their crisp fonts and clear display, could make our brains lazy.

"I do worry that it will become so easy for the brain to read on an e-reader that we may actually start to see a decrease in what we remember and take away from a book," Mr Lehrer told ABC Radio National.

"This is all just speculation, but what really interests me is this surprising link between the difficulty of reading and what we actually remember from it."
I haven't noticed that e-books have clearer display than any but the cheapest pulp fiction. A lot of more expensive dt books have beautiful layout and typography. There are plenty of gripes here at MR about poorly produced ebooks peppered with typos.

Last edited by DMB; 05-30-2011 at 11:17 AM.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:27 AM   #9
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
comic sans is an abomination.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:46 AM   #10
Miss Understood
Enthusiast
Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Nook, Sony PRS-350 (pink!); IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
This article suggests that books in slightly harder to read fonts such as Comic Sans allow readers to remember more details than crisp fonts such as Arial.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...30/3230891.htm
The question posed was: should all ebooks be in Comic Sans?
Maybe it's me, but I find Comic Sans easier to read.
Miss Understood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:47 AM   #11
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
No, it should be up to the user to choose the font.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:03 PM   #12
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Understood View Post
Maybe it's me, but I find Comic Sans easier to read.
In short bursts it is okay to read. But, I find that when there is more than one page of it, it starts to wear on me and that is when I start to get a headache. Plus the larger that font is, the more difficult it is to read.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:03 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The publisher should always be free to shoot themselves (and their Author) in the foot with a poor choice of font.

With DT versions, the book would never make it to the cash-wrap station if I saw a font I found less pleasant to read. With e-versions, it is not always possible to see a sample of the work (IMHO a sale stopper).

That said.
I like (readable) font variety
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:18 PM   #14
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
The good thing about ebooks (as opposed to pbooks) is that I get to choose the font, size and the rest of it. You want Comic Sans? Be my guest, I'll certainly use something more sensible.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:18 PM   #15
Aladyleyna
Zealot
Aladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notes

Device: iPad 1
Honestly, I hate hard to read fonts, because I end up spending more time trying to decipher the words than understand what is going on.

And I prefer Times New Roman. It's my favourite font.
Aladyleyna is offline   Reply With Quote