Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Serif or Sans-Serif Preference?
Serif (with the small finishing strokes) 92 56.10%
Sans-Serif (without the small finishing strokes) 51 31.10%
Don't Care / Don't Notice 21 12.80%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-26-2011, 03:40 PM   #16
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I've always been partial to serifs.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:57 PM   #17
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I use the condensed font type on my K3.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2011, 04:05 PM   #18
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
I use the condensed font type on my K3.
..which is a serif font.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:50 PM   #19
robbw
Connoisseur
robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, K3
Serif for e-ink and printed text.
robbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:23 PM   #20
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
I prefer a serif font, but not one with excessively thin "knife edge" serifs. Also, I prefer a font that is not highly stressed (large difference between the thick and thin strokes), whether serif or sans serif.

On modest resolution displays (e.g. current eink displays like my Kindle) an unstressed serif font (again, like my Kindle's "regular" and "condensed" fonts) works very well, IMHO.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2011, 07:02 PM   #21
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
..which is a serif font.
I didnt know that thanx. Now I can vote in the poll!
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:13 PM   #22
straygator
Connoisseur
straygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolate

Serif, no matter what the medium, unless there's some compelling reason for sans-serif. But I have an old-school journalism background and am used to seeing nothing but newspaper type . . .
straygator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:17 PM   #23
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by viviena View Post
Serif for e-ink ereaders, sans-serif for LCD/backlit ereaders and screens. Not sure why I make those distinctions. The article was interesting though, thanks.
I do the same. I like the serif font on my Kindle, but prefer sans-serif on my desktop. For some reason serif is just harder to read on an LCD.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:58 PM   #24
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I do the same. I like the serif font on my Kindle, but prefer sans-serif on my desktop. For some reason serif is just harder to read on an LCD.
+1. I tried changing my browser to a serif font, and it was a similar experience to changing my kindle to sans-serif. Maybe it has to do with pixel density, or backlight effect?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:59 PM   #25
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
+1. I tried changing my browser to a serif font, and it was a similar experience to changing my kindle to sans-serif. Maybe it has to do with pixel density, or backlight effect?
The actual font itself is also very important. The OP link is really cool, if you haven't had a chance to read it, and explains white space density and letter height and so forth all of which can be done "right" or "wrong" in either serif/sans-serif formats. So it's possible that there's more at stake than just the serifiness.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:13 AM   #26
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Sans-Serif always.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:20 AM   #27
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
I voted sans-serif - but I use Amasis on the nook. I don't think it's the serif-ness so much as the thickness and such. Light Classic is too squeezed together and light/non-contrasty for me - I'd use Helvetica New over it, which is a sans-serif cont.

But Helvetica New is too big - there's less words on the page. I like something contrasty (a little thick and nice and dark) but not too wide (less words on page).

I don't read on my NC much...on the Nook app I prefer Amasis also - but I like AscenderSans a lot also.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:34 AM   #28
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by viviena View Post
Serif for e-ink ereaders, sans-serif for LCD/backlit ereaders and screens. Not sure why I make those distinctions.
Same here.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:08 AM   #29
mikegetz
Professional Nerd
mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook WiFI, KOBO, Pandigital Novel Personal
sans. whenever possible.

i guess it comes from years of staring at the intarwebz ... i bet if you asked me 15 years ago, i would have said serif.
mikegetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:20 AM   #30
garrybuck
Connoisseur
garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

There are raging arguments on which is 'better' for speed and comprehension. It's not been definitively proven one way or the other. Here's both sides of the argument, if you're interested:

http://alexpoole.info/which-are-more...erif-typefaces

Personally, I prefer serif when I'm reading large amounts of text.
garrybuck is offline   Reply With Quote