Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-25-2011, 11:59 AM   #31
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I used to keep about 100, but have downsized to roughly 30 these days. Even so, I often find myself choosing to start a book that's not one of those, but transferred from Calibre (such is the way of the Libra).
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:08 PM   #32
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
I keep ALL of my ebooks on SD cards. I can simply purchase another one if I need additional space...
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2011, 12:10 PM   #33
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Nope! My complete collection a couple of GB, around 1000 books. On my reader I usually keep 20-50 books. I like to just keep books I'm reasonably sure I'll read in the "near" future, and some favourites I like to come back to now and then, look up something I like in them (short story, poem, quotes...).
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:16 PM   #34
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I have no desire to fill my ereader (iPad or iPhone). For what purpose? My reading is not THAT scattered. I read _MAYBE_ 50 books in a year. I do not know Jan. 1 what book I will want to read Dec. 5th. I'm not worried, though, as there is plenty of time to load up the next book (or two).

I don't even have all the books I've BOUGHT on my devices. I prefer to use Calibre and manage my books on my computer with it's terabytes of hard drive space.

None of my book apps (iBooks, Amazon, Stanza) are really suitable for handling hundreds or thousands of books. Calibre is. So I use Calibre to manage my collection an bring the books I want to read over to my device when I want to read them.

Sure, I have dozens of books on my device. I could probably go a year and not read all the books I do have. But that's because I acquired them on my device and haven't moved them to my PC yet. I read a book, then remove it from my device.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:17 PM   #35
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
just check, I got roughly 500 books on the device, with roughly 2200 MB left. To find the book I want? Of course I do a search. What else can be done?
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2011, 12:32 PM   #36
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I probably have nearly 900 books on my nook (many of them freebies); I keep some of them archived or not-downloaded* (especially if I've already read them and don't think I'll care too again) if they're on the B&N account. I use the "search" function to find specific titles or authors, and have shelved them all by genre and whether I've read them or not. I still have plenty of space on my card.

* I realize this may be weaseling, but they do (or, in the case of archived books, can if I toggle my view) show up in my library and I can click to download/unarchive at any time.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:15 PM   #37
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Companies give you more and more storage on your eink readers. But, without including mp3s, just ebooks only, are people filling their devices already or keeping more than one thousand books on it?

Let us know if you passed the 1k limit on your Sony, Kindle, Nook or whatever your eink is?

It is difficult to validate responses, so I'm just asking for a bit of honesty here...

Also, for those who really have over of 1k ebooks, can also explain how is possible to identify or find a book in a quick way, on the device, of course, not externally ...
I have 1909 titles on mine. It's a Sony 950, so they're in collections by series. 99% of what I read is series, so that works well for me. I can also go into "all books" and sort by author, so if by some miracle a book I want to read isn't in a series I can find it quickly that way too. My mom was a voracious reader and she taught me to "read by author". So I'm used to looking for books that way. The Sony 950 has letters on the side (like tabs in an address book) so I can jump to the letter of an author's name too. I also have a custom collection for anthologies, to make them easy to find.

I doubt my system would work for everyone, but to be honest, I've had a reader with folders before (Astak's EZ Reader), and Sony's collections work better for me. Probably because, as I said, the vast majority of what I read is series. (Cozy mysteries and urban fantasy).
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:25 PM   #38
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Nope, I don't have any of them filled up. While I like to keep a lot of books on them so that I can read whatever genre might strike my fancy at the moment, I've found that there reaches a certain point after a few hundred where I just don't remember what specifically about a story made me think that I would find it interesting, especially when it's a one-off book by an unknown author, no matter how many tags I add to it.

What I do like putting on the ereader is the complete oeuvre of a favorite author, especially one that I tend to reread in full every few years. Makes it very convenient.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:51 PM   #39
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
I keep ALL of my ebooks on SD cards. I can simply purchase another one if I need additional space...
Me too.

I have ~800 books in Calibre of varying sizes. I keep a 32GB micro SD card in my PB360 with my entire library. I'm fortunate to have a good shelving system with the Calibre export such that my books are easy to locate.

I wouldn't mind a catalog browsing system for the device that was something simple and easy. I use Calibre2opds with Dropbox and can view that at any time with my phone, but it's not quite what I want. Not sure what I want, really, but when I see it, I'll know.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:56 PM   #40
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
I haven't managed to fill up an eink reader yet. Perhaps I might have filled my first Cybook Gen3, but I had a 2G SD card to put into it so never worried. With my Pocketbook 360 Plus I haven't bothered with the SD card as there is so much room available 'on board'. I own over 1000 ebooks and all but those I've read in the last 2 years on on it. So, at least 900 ebooks are loaded.

I can easily find any book I am looking for as I have a folder for each Genre and have named each file in this format: "Author_Series00_Title" or "Author_Title" if no series. This way as long as I know who the author is I can get to the next book in the series or the next book on my TBR list. I've been using this system since 2007 and it seems to be working so far. Before folders were an option I added "Genre" to the beginning of the file name. That did make for a lot of 'page turns' finding the next book on my Gen3, but it was worth it to have my whole 'library' with me. I tend to read a LOT and like to be able to change books on a whim, reading several books at a time, so dedicated readers have been great for me!
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:14 PM   #41
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Hmm. I use an SD card. When I got my reader in October, I started with a 2gb card, filled it up, got a 4gb card, filled it up, now have an 8gb card in it. Since the Jetbook Lite allows me to create my own filing system, I have genre folders, with subfolders for authors and sub-subfolders for series. Getting to a book is fairly quick. I like having all the books on one card. Why not?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:22 AM   #42
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Anything I get from Amazon I remove as soon as I'm finished reading it, the better to focus on what is To Be Read. I have a number of computer reference books and electronics PDF manuals. A number of books To Be Read. Total is around 200 items, including a few dozen samples. I currently have an audiobook on there that takes up about 1Gb, otherwise I'd probably be using well under half the available storage.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:44 AM   #43
Bani
Bani began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
When I first bought my Kindle, I filled it up 100%. Thought I broke it because of how it long it remained in a frozen state loading everything.

Nowadays I usually have it a quarter full, if that.
Bani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:50 AM   #44
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I have 264 books. Out of those 170 are on my Sony 600. I make good use of the Sony Readers Collection file and keep my favorite authors & series in there.

I've noticed the more books on the reader, the slower it gets to load, so I probably won't put more than 200 books on it at any given time.

I will periodically go through it and weed out books that I know I won't read again from the books that are not part of the collections list.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:28 AM   #45
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I have less than a dozen books on my Kindle. I have a hard drive, WiFi, and a cloud in Amazon.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote