Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-23-2011, 08:43 PM   #76
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I found I cannot scroll to switch between podcasts, but must power down completely to go from one to another, unlike juggling audiobooks.
I really wish SanDisk would make separate 'audiobooks' and 'podcasts' folders in the main menu, instead of in the music menu. 'slotRadio' gets treated that way. Oh well, such is life.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:51 PM   #77
trksh22
I'd Rather be Reading
trksh22 is on a distinguished road

Device: K2
Quote:
What occurs to me just now is to check your "USB system settings" -- I believe putting it on "Auto Detect" should work if your device is showing something else. I can never remember which is which (MSC/MTP), but with my Cowon D2, if I have it on the "wrong" one, WMA files won't play, but the other setting works just fine (after re-transferring the book). So, try experimenting with that.
Ok, I will try that next time I hook it up!
trksh22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2011, 09:08 PM   #78
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I really wish SanDisk would make separate 'audiobooks' and 'podcasts' folders in the main menu, instead of in the music menu. 'slotRadio' gets treated that way. Oh well, such is life.
Have y'all tried Rockbox on your Sansas? Gives you a lot of control over stuff like that.

It doesn't support any DRMed content directly, but you can flip back and forth with the stock firmware easily.

(or just strip the DRM, of course....)
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:13 AM   #79
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Have y'all tried Rockbox on your Sansas? Gives you a lot of control over stuff like that.

It doesn't support any DRMed content directly, but you can flip back and forth with the stock firmware easily.

(or just strip the DRM, of course....)
Thanks; I've considered it before. Most of my audiobooks are library books and full of DRM. Same with my Audible books.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:24 AM   #80
trksh22
I'd Rather be Reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Thanks; I've considered it before. Most of my audiobooks are library books and full of DRM. Same with my Audible books.
Same here. Also, when I first got my Sansa, Rockbox wasn't officially out for my clip+. Something about possibly bricking it. Not acceptable!
Advert
Old 05-28-2011, 07:51 PM   #81
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
Hi everybody, I have another question about audio books. I've been getting a few from the library, and wonder if there is any way to return them early? All of my audio books default to a 14 day rental term and I want to keep that because I never know how long it's going to take me to listen to it. But suppose I get an audio book on Friday, listen to it over the weekend, and want to go ahead and return it so someone else can have it, is there any way to do this? I do that with ebooks all the time, through ADE but I can't figure out if there's a way to do that in the Overdrive Media Console.
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:59 PM   #82
trksh22
I'd Rather be Reading

As far I know, there isn't a way to return them early. I sometimes go through them faster than planned and have no way of returning it early. I'd be interested to know if there was a way as well.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:05 PM   #83
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
No, there's no way to do so. According to Overdrive, the publishers want it that way.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:12 PM   #84
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
OK, those darn publishers again.

I notice when I plug my Sansa into my computer via the USB, the books from the library are right there, I can delete them from there, can't I? I realize this doesn't return them to the library, but it'll take them off my device. I noticed too the library books and the books I purchased from Audible are in two different places.
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:26 PM   #85
trksh22
I'd Rather be Reading

Yes, you can delete them from there. You can also move your books from either folder. I prefer the audiobook folder. Actually, I don't know if it is better and I don't know if it's recommended we remove them like that, but it all works for me
Old 05-28-2011, 08:27 PM   #86
trksh22
I'd Rather be Reading

Quote:
No, there's no way to do so. According to Overdrive, the publishers want it that way.
Why is that?
Old 05-28-2011, 11:35 PM   #87
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Audible books are automatically recognized as "audiobooks" by the Sansa, but if you don't change your library book tagging to "audiobook" before transferring it, and put it in Music on your Sansa, you'll lose your place in the book if you exit the file. So, you're better off leaving them in the Audiobook folder.

I did not see an explanation of "why" the publishers won't let books be returned early; it makes no sense to me either.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:48 PM   #88
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I believe the presumption is that publishers have no interest in making sure as many people as possible get to listen to the books for free, and would hope that a longer turnaround, and longer waiting lists, will drive more people to pay for the books, say via Audible (as it has done, it seems for some folks in this thread.)
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote