Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-04-2011, 03:44 AM   #16
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
It would be nice if we could select a piece of text or a paragraph and select a style for it. Of course the styles would be the ones defined in the stylesheet(s). I believe it is on Valloric list, but at a low priority.

In this way a remove indent button would be obsolete.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:51 AM   #17
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
It would be nice if we could select a piece of text or a paragraph and select a style for it. Of course the styles would be the ones defined in the stylesheet(s). I believe it is on Valloric list, but at a low priority.

In this way a remove indent button would be obsolete.
yes, that would be far better, and would also be similar to how you apply a style in Word.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2022, 11:42 AM   #18
salty-horse
Wizard
salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
I have a Sony PRS T1 with the "latest" firmware, and an ebook with <p><br/><p>'s that are not respected.
Replacing the <br/> with &nbsp; broke everything, and now there are only blank pages, and every page flip jumps to the next chapter.

I ended up using "..." as a workaround.

(I'm commenting on an old thread because I'll probably have this same problem in the future.)
salty-horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 02:19 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by salty-horse View Post
I have a Sony PRS T1 with the "latest" firmware, and an ebook with <p><br/><p>'s that are not respected.
Replacing the <br/> with &nbsp; broke everything, and now there are only blank pages, and every page flip jumps to the next chapter.

I ended up using "..." as a workaround.

(I'm commenting on an old thread because I'll probably have this same problem in the future.)
None of those solutions are optimal. You want CSS to add the 1em space.

Code:
.spacet {
  padding-top: 1em;
}
.spaceb {
  padding-bottom: 1em;
}
You can use CSS instead of lines that don't work or look good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 04:53 AM   #20
salty-horse
Wizard
salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The amount of bugs in the old Digital Editions software always surprises me. (Originally, the ebook didn't load at all because it used unknown-to-it CSS3 "rem" units - instead of a fallback, it just crashes)
Advert
Old 08-02-2022, 04:59 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The amount of bugs in the old Digital Editions software always surprises me. (Originally, the ebook didn't load at all because it used unknown-to-it CSS3 "rem" units - instead of a fallback, it just crashes)
A lot of programs don't deal with rem. So using it is not a good idea. em works.
Old 08-02-2022, 04:29 PM   #22
salty-horse
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
None of those solutions are optimal. You want CSS to add the 1em space.
Much better, thanks.
I replaced all:
Code:
<p class="CLASSNAME"><br/></p>
with
Code:
<div class="CLASSNAME"></div>
and changed the styles of those classes from "margin: 0 0 0 0; line-height: X" to "margin: X 0 X 0", and added a rule for "div.br" with a 1em margin.
Old 08-02-2022, 04:39 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Much better, thanks.
I replaced all:
Code:
<p class="CLASSNAME"><br/></p>
with
Code:
<div class="CLASSNAME"></div>
and changed the styles of those classes from "margin: 0 0 0 0; line-height: X" to "margin: X 0 X 0", and added a rule for "div.br" with a 1em margin.
What I would use is the following so you don't have these extra lines that you don't really need.

Code:
<p class="spacet">Some Paragraph text.</p>
Code:
.spacet {
  padding-top: 1em;
}
The reason for the padding is that the 1em space doesn't get lost when the space is at the bottom or top of the screen.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-02-2022 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-02-2022, 04:39 PM   #24
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
That is certainly one way to do it - and it is better than using the <br/> tag... however, I think Wolfie's intent was to use the css on the paragraph that has text.

Instead of:
Code:
<p>This is a normal paragraph.</p>
<p><br/></p>
<p>This is a normal paragraph with space above.</p>

-OR-

<p class="space"></p>
You could use this:
Code:
p.spacet {padding-top: 1em}

<p class="spacet">This is a normal paragraph with space above.</p>
That provides clean HTML that can be consistently relied on.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 04:43 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
That is certainly one way to do it - and it is better than using the <br/> tag... however, I think Wolfie's intent was to use the css on the paragraph that has text.

Instead of:
Code:
<p><br/></p>

-OR-

<p class="space"></p>
You could use this:
Code:
p.spacet {padding-top: 1em}

<p class="spacet">This is a normal paragraph with space above.</p>
That provides clean HTML that can be consistently relied on.
We are thinking alike. See my post before yours and you'll see.
Old 08-02-2022, 04:50 PM   #26
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Doh - ninja'd again!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 04:54 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Doh - ninja'd again!

Old 08-03-2022, 02:55 AM   #28
salty-horse
Wizard

Editing the paragraphs above/below the spacer elements is more error-prone. I opted to make the least changes to the existing file.
Old 08-03-2022, 03:39 AM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Editing the paragraphs above/below the spacer elements is more error-prone. I opted to make the least changes to the existing file.
No it's not more error prone. Keeping the rubbish for the space is more prone not to work. You want to do this in CSS. You want to get rid of those extra lines. That's how it will work best.
Old 08-03-2022, 05:20 AM   #30
salty-horse
Wizard

I'm just trying to get the ebook I purchased to work on my device, and I did. Improving the markup isn't my goal.