Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-31-2022, 07:53 AM   #1
DrivingTest
DrivingTest began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Bullet indents

I've created a book in Word which has been converted into ePub format before being opened in Sigil. The book has a number of unordered lists which show up in the HTML like this:

<ul class="list_">
<li class="block_22">item 1</li>
<li class="block_22">item 2</li>
<li class="block_22">item 3</li>
<li class="block_22">item 4</li>
</ul>

The bullets appear to indented much deeper than in the original Word file. I'm thinking it should be simple enough the decrease the indent but I can't figure out how?

Sigil has toolbars at the top, one of which has a 'decrease indent' button, but how do I actually use this to change what I see in the HTML or preview window?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	preview.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	195460  
DrivingTest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 08:20 AM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I would not use the increase/decrease indent buttons - they simply add/remove a <blockquote> around the text you have highlighted...the blockquote artificially increases the indent at the cost of being really ugly code, and being semantically incorrect.

Instead, you can use the padding and margin elements in your attached css style sheet.

margin-left is the amount of space between the left edge of the <ul> container and the list symbol. padding-left is the distance between the symbol and the text. You can also define margins around the <ul> independently of the list items.

Here is an example of some styling you could use...adapt as you desire.
Code:
CSS:
ul {margin:.5em; list-style-type:disc}
li {margin-left:.5em; padding-left:1em}

HTML:
<p>This is a normal paragraph.</p>
<ul>
<li>item 1</li>
<li>item 2</li>
<li>item 3</li>
<li>item 4</li>
</ul>
The above example does not include classes - they are unnecessary if you want all your lists to be styled the same. If you want them to look differently then all you need to do is have a class in the <ul> with the styling like this:
Code:
CSS:
ul {margin:.5em; list-style-type:disc}
li {margin-left:.5em; padding-left:1em}

ul.someclass li {color:green; font-style:italic}

HTML:

<ul class="someclass">
<li>item 1</li>
<li>item 2</li>
<li>item 3</li>
<li>item 4</li>
</ul>

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	list1.png
Views:	59
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	195461   Click image for larger version

Name:	list2.png
Views:	57
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	195462  

Last edited by Turtle91; 07-31-2022 at 08:32 AM.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2022, 09:28 AM   #3
DrivingTest
DrivingTest began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for that, sometimes we just overlook the obvious. I'm new to Sigil, think it's a great tool but for some reason just didn't realise there was an attached stylesheet..... doh!
DrivingTest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 10:20 AM   #4
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
lol - no worries! I'm still finding features in Sigil that I didn't know existed...

You can make sure the stylesheet is attached/linked by making sure that there is something like:

<link href="../Styles/styles.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet"/>

in the <head> section of your html pages...where styles.css is the name of your stylesheet.

This can be done automagically by right clicking on the html file(s) in your Book Browser window and selecting "Link Stylesheets..." then checking the box next to the sheet you want to link.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote