Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-07-2023, 08:11 AM   #1
Michell
Michell began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Book leaf 2
Security & updates question

Hiya,
I'm thinking of buying the Boox Leaf 2, as it allows for a lot of flexibility and I would like to read Scribd on an eInk reader.
However, these Onyx devices are all produced in China and I'm wondering how secure/safe it is to use these devices, now and in the near future. I've looked around in these forums but haven't found much, aside from mentions about rooting which I really don't want to concern myself with.
Additionally, I'm wondering if I'll be able to use the device for the upcoming 5 years or so - will it receive Android updates enough for me to continue using Scribd?

If there's an alternative I should consider I'd really like to know but I have only found walled-in systems. I'm in the EU, if that matters.

Thanks!
Michell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 10:35 AM   #2
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michell View Post
Hiya,
I'm thinking of buying the Boox Leaf 2, as it allows for a lot of flexibility and I would like to read Scribd on an eInk reader.
However, these Onyx devices are all produced in China and I'm wondering how secure/safe it is to use these devices, now and in the near future. I've looked around in these forums but haven't found much, aside from mentions about rooting which I really don't want to concern myself with.
Additionally, I'm wondering if I'll be able to use the device for the upcoming 5 years or so - will it receive Android updates enough for me to continue using Scribd?
Boox only releases version updates, not Android updates; but Scribd works on Android 6 and the Leaf 2 has Android 11 - the latest version for EInk.
I don't see any problems there
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onyx, security, updates