Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-26-2011, 03:11 AM   #16
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
You answered your own question. (bold is mine)
I would still be inclined to use hyperlinks, in addition to whatever workaround you come up with to enhance reading on devices that don't support them properly. Otherwise it is a least-common-denominator approach which will not be so attractive to the people using capable systems. And actually, I would not even worry about the incapable systems, they are going to die off soon enough, because that's probably not the only way they are 'unfit'.

That said, you might check out the 'ebook ninjas podcast' @ ebookninjas.com - I want to say episode 27/27b or maybe 23. There was some discussion of a sort of 'biblical' reference system, book/chapter/verse etc. — generalized in such a way that it could give a 'universal', format-neutral way of referencing a location. The reading system would be able to reveal/hide these references on demand, and allow some way to directly navigate. Of course it is all hypothetical, nobody has implemented such a system.

Last edited by tomsem; 05-26-2011 at 03:30 AM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:17 AM   #17
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Couldn't you just simply number paragraphs within a chapter, say ? ( Chapter 7, para 47 )

Text would have to be numbered, naturally.
I think this would be the best solution as long as the paragraph numbers can be hidden or unhidden as needed and are able to be accessed by the user. Unlike pages, the paragraph numbers should not vary depending on the page size. The only problem I can forsee is if there is disagreement on the definition of a paragraph.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:46 AM   #18
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Smile

[QUOTE=wannabee;1554287]thankyou - that's what I've suggested in my original post. Although the numbers might get too intrusive, but I may have to resort to it.

Sorry Wannabee - I thought what you were suggesting was more complicated than just Chapter and para. With me sadly being a tech-dunce, it sounded it !

Solitaire picks up the main points that would need to be sorted........

1) Hiding the relevent numbers until needed - there must be a whiz out there with the skill to devise a scheme, I'm sure. I won't understand it, but most everyone else will !
2) And I think the para definition on new works would probably rest with the author/editor? I presume existing doc's would need to be dealt with by the user through some programme or other - perhaps assign numbers during first reading ? Perhaps a process along Sony bookmarking lines ?

But I only offer a "Dummies" solution - I haven't a clue as to how it would be put into practice !
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:39 PM   #19
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
I think this would be the best solution as long as the paragraph numbers can be hidden or unhidden
Hide and seek numbering sounds good. I wonder how that could be accomplished with code rather than hardware? Can you use IF and THEN commands in ePub I wonder? I'll go and have a look.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 04:03 AM   #20
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
I think this would be the best solution as long as the paragraph numbers can be hidden or unhidden as needed and are able to be accessed by the user. Unlike pages, the paragraph numbers should not vary depending on the page size. The only problem I can forsee is if there is disagreement on the definition of a paragraph.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
Hide and seek numbering sounds good. I wonder how that could be accomplished with code rather than hardware? Can you use IF and THEN commands in ePub I wonder? I'll go and have a look.
One option is to use styles to hide/display paragraph numbers. OpenOffice.org and StarOffice have this option in both the paragraph styles and the character styles. You can mark the paragraph numbers (or any text) with a character style (say "Paragraph Number"), and then hide the text when it's not needed.

I don't know how hard it would be to add this to the EPUB standard (if it isn't already part of it), but since the OpenDocument Text format (the format used by StarOffice/OpenOffice.org) and EPUB are both XML based it should be possible. Then it would require ebook readers to implement the change, such as an option in the global settings.

Last edited by Solitaire1; 05-29-2011 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Correction to program name.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:27 PM   #21
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
I'm pretty sure that epub page numbers remain fixed, regardless of font size.
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:41 PM   #22
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
They do... if font made larger so page no longer fits a single screen then numbering changes to reflect it... say page 400 is enlarged to three and a half screens then numbering becomes 400, 400, 400, 400-401

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJHARKAVY View Post
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:32 AM   #23
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJHARKAVY View Post
I'm not aware of "epub" page numbers. Amazon may have implemented something like that, but I don't see anything like that in the standard. Obviously you can have hardcoded page numbers in your text, but that seems not to be what you are talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
They do... if font made larger so page no longer fits a single screen then numbering changes to reflect it... say page 400 is enlarged to three and a half screens then numbering becomes 400, 400, 400, 400-401
I am not seing that. Page numbers are calculated by my PocketBook on the fly, and really refer to the number of screens. If I change the font size, e.g., the number changes accordingly.

But to address the original issue, I still think an automatic technical solution would be the way to go. Here's a wild idea: if you create a hash digest of every paragraph (using, I don't know, MD6 or any of the other current hash algorithms) it would be easy to create a unique referrer to every paragraph in your text (actually, to any paragraph, period).

There are some issues that need to be addressed, of course (an additional linebreak, or a comma added will create a completely different hash), a hash table needs to be created before looking up any references, etc. but having access to the text in electronic form I don't think that would be too much of an issue. In a way it's like using hyperlinks, only the author wouldn't have to provide them at the time of writing.

Of course this is not a human-readable solution for the most part, but I don't see why reference management couldn't be automated, too.

Last edited by rogue_librarian; 05-29-2011 at 02:37 AM.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:06 AM   #24
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
rogue_librarian... the numbers you don't see, for epubs, is due to your reader's firmware not using them... didn't realise you were using a Pocketbook... Sonys actually access the pagination integral to the file...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:11 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
rogue_librarian... the numbers you don't see, for epubs, is due to your reader's firmware not using them... didn't realise you were using a Pocketbook... Sonys actually access the pagination integral to the file...
No, Sony uses ADE's way of calculating pages numbers bases on the compression and size of the ePub. There is a way with ADE to manually force page numbers. But nobody really uses that. ADE's way of calculating page numbers does not matter the size of the text on screen. So the page numbering you get with ADE is consistent. LRF (for example), changed the page numbering based on the text size.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
numbering, page numbers