Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-29-2010, 10:32 AM   #1
mfyahya
mfyahya began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia N900
Metadata downloads via Edit menu but not via Download menu

If I right click on a book or books and go to "Edit Meta Information" and then click any of the "Download metadata" items, I get an error message. But if I go to "Edit metadata" items and then click the buttons for "Download metadata" and "Download covers" separately it works. Any ideas?

I also tried running calibre-debug -g, but I don't see much debug output in the console. Is it written to a file somewhere?

I'm using the packaged calibre in Ubuntu 10.04 'Lucid'
mfyahya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 01:14 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
What is the error message you get?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2010, 12:57 PM   #3
mfyahya

I get a dialog popup window with this message: "Failed to download metadata for the following:", and then when I click 'Show Details...' it says "Ajax in Action: No matches found for this book"

Then when I went to 'Edit Metadata Individually' for this book, it did download the metadata and covers when I clicked the buttons for those.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:39 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

is the author set to unknown or something like that?
Old 05-30-2010, 04:08 PM   #5
mfyahya

Yes, author was set to 'Unknown'. After I removed it, the metadata download seems to work. Thanks very much for your quick help.
Advert
Old 06-17-2010, 11:10 AM   #6
Zebri
Zebri began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Ereader
Good afternoon - again.

I am trying to download metadata via the download menu aswell and seem to be having the same problem as the OP. Now I have read above that the author marked as unknown is likely to be causing this problem so have that to go on.

However I don't seem to be able to remove the author of unknown, each time I try to delete it it just puts unknown back in the field is there a way to remove the author or some wildcard I can place in there which reflects any author?

Regards
Zebri
Zebri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:06 PM   #7
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebri View Post
I am trying to download metadata via the download menu aswell and seem to be having the same problem as the OP. Now I have read above that the author marked as unknown is likely to be causing this problem so have that to go on.

However I don't seem to be able to remove the author of unknown, each time I try to delete it it just puts unknown back in the field is there a way to remove the author or some wildcard I can place in there which reflects any author?
You can't leave an empty author in Calibre. On a Single Metadata Fetch, you can remove the author for the search, but it puts it back in as Unknown when you leave that Single Metadata Fetch screen. I'd search for Metadata on books that have an Unknown author using the Single Metadata Fetch, not the Bulk fetch.

I'm not sure what it does during a Bulk Metadata Search if the author is Unknown. If it always fails (that seems to be what you are saying), it might be worth requesting an enhancement or reporting it as a bug so that the author is ignored during the Bulk fetch for "Unknown" authors the same way it works on the Single Metadata Fetch screen.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:31 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

See http://bugs.calibre-ebook.com/ticket/5633
Old 06-18-2010, 07:05 AM   #9
Zebri
Zebri began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Ereader
Thankyou for this and looking forward to the new release!
Zebri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 04:04 AM   #10
mfyahya

I'm not at my main PC at the moment, but I seem to remember that I had entered a space for the author field to prevent it reverting to 'unknown'.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:50 AM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfyahya View Post
I'm not at my main PC at the moment, but I seem to remember that I had entered a space for the author field to prevent it reverting to 'unknown'.
Don't need a work around when the problem has already been fixed as expressed by Kovid above.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote