Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-18-2010, 01:15 AM   #16
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I must have missed the message where someone told you to go away?

Which message number what that?

BOb
BOb, one of the gentle people of MR advised the OP to check the forums at the Amazon and Nook websites to see what they were saying. I think the OP misunderstood this as "Go away from here".

That was my read anyway.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:53 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This thread show go away from here with here being the wrong forum section. It does have a proper place to go.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2010, 06:37 PM   #18
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I love (loved?) my Kindle 2 and Kindle DX and would highly recommend it - however! A kindle 3 can't be far off so I would wait, it will probably be a color device which would be nice for magazines.

Personally I am getting an iPad and keeping my DX as a backup
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:03 PM   #19
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This thread show go away from here with here being the wrong forum section. It does have a proper place to go.
it's in the Kindle forum. where would you rather it be?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:21 PM   #20
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
I love (loved?) my Kindle 2 and Kindle DX and would highly recommend it - however! A kindle 3 can't be far off so I would wait, it will probably be a color device which would be nice for magazines.

Personally I am getting an iPad and keeping my DX as a backup
If there is a Kindle 3 coming... especially if it is going to have a Marisol screen like some were speculating, I would guess that won't be before October.

Also, Kindles hold their resale value very well. So you could get a year use out of one and probably sell it for 80% of what you paid for it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2010, 07:47 PM   #21
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
He and Bob were suggesting that the thread be moved to the "Which Device. . ." forum, which actually does seem appropriate.

I have an original style Kindle, myself, and my wife has a Nook. She prefers hers, and I prefer mine. And I have seen a few glitches crop up in hers. She's gotten knocked back to the first page and couldn't advance on a couple occasions now though not every book (she's read about a dozen books on it so far). The design of hers is much sleeker than mine, and the screen seems ever so slightly "crisper." On the other hand, I haven't had even one glitch or bug crop up in the year that I've had mine.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:55 PM   #22
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhishStyx View Post
He and Bob were suggesting that the thread be moved to the "Which Device. . ." forum, which actually does seem appropriate.
I only said here she was likely to get more pro-kindle posts and I "could" move it.

But, I think this thread is appropriate here or in the nook section or in the which one to buy section. If the OP wants me to move it I will... but I think she said she was happy with it here.

BOb
Old 03-18-2010, 11:39 PM   #23
Bltprf502
Enthusiast
Bltprf502 doesn't litterBltprf502 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300S (GONE), Samsung Galaxy Tab, Kindle 3
Its all good. I like it here if its all the same. Good info so far... Sorry for the confusion. I am a 'HE"... And yes Kindle Kitten, I was military and am still a contractor to the military. Bltprf502 is an old name I have had for years on forums, emails, screen names etc. I sold bulletproof (actually bullet resistant) vests to the military for 5 1/2 years. The 502 is something else. Another story for another day.

Last edited by Bltprf502; 03-18-2010 at 11:43 PM.
Bltprf502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:44 AM   #24
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
ah! ok. I thought it was a nod to the 502nd. it's all good
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:13 AM   #25
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
The main reason I stick with my Kindles is Amazon's amazing Customer Service. It is easily the best of all the ereading devices. I currently own a Kindle 2 and a Kindle DX and I gave my Kindle 1 to my Mom last year for Mother's Day.

There are better devices supporting better formats but none equal Amazon's support. Sony has improved but B&N are new to the ebook market and their CS is not very good.

What happens if you mistakenly purchase an ebook or purchase one that is poorly formatted? B&N and Sony will not make a refund (unless they've changed their policy in the last week or so) but it's easy to return an ebook to Amazon.

No matter what you choose, hope you enjoy your new toy and get to read a lot of books!
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:21 PM   #26
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I have both a Kindle 2 and a nook. I prefer to read on my K2 for the following two reasons:

The dictionary. On the Kindle, you simply move the little joystick to the word, and the definition shows up at the bottom of the screen. With nook, you need to wake up the touch screen, scroll down to Look Up Word, use the little touchpad arrows to move to the word, then click OK on the touch screen. The definition (if the nook dictionary can even locate it) replaces the text on the screen, which takes a few seconds. Then you have to cancel out of it on the touchscreen to go back to the page text.

Reading more than one book at a time. Flipping back and forth from one book to another on the Kindle is very easy. If you keep your menu sorted by date, the books you are reading are right at the top of the first page. A quick push of the menu button, and a little movement with the joystick, and you are on the other book. With nook, you have to use the touchscreen to back out of your book, and go back to your Library. If the other book you want to open is not in the same library (B&N vs. My Documents) you need to choose the other library.

I find the Kindle easier to navigate than the nook, with the dedicated buttons. The nook touchscreen neither registers every touch, nor are all of the icons/buttons large enough that you can make sure you are touching exactly the function you want to use. I particularly have trouble when scrolling through a list, as I often end up clicking on a menu option instead.

However, my nook has worked well since I received it at Christmas. I actually now have more books for my nook than I do for my year-old Kindle. Fictionwise can be a horrible addiction, with its odd pricing structure and rebates and coupons. This weekend I spent another ~$100 there after I received a 15% off coupon, and I picked up another ~$100 of books using up some of my rebates. So, while I prefer reading my Kindle, I spend about 50% of my reading time on my nook. I just avoid looking up words since it takes so long, and I only read one book at a time on my nook so I don't have to use the touchscreen to move back and forth between books.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:22 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
This thread actually should be in the which one should I buy? forum section since it's trying to make a decision on which reader to buy.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 03:02 PM   #28
Bltprf502
Enthusiast
Bltprf502 doesn't litterBltprf502 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300S (GONE), Samsung Galaxy Tab, Kindle 3
To throw a total loop... I saw the PRS-900 at BEst Buy and thought I'd give it a shot. Not sure I will keep it, but wanted to rule it out. I could actually take it home, play with it, try it, read it and return it it does not live up to what I need. The appealing thing that drew me to my first ereader (a Sony PRS-300) is they don't care what format or where your books come from. If the Kindle will do exactly just that, I may give it a whirl before I decide what to keep for a wireless unit. I am in Germany with the PRS-900 and the wireless does not work here like it does the Kindle (or so I'm told). Thanks again for letting me stay here. It may be a Kindle after all. The PRS-900 is very nice, but it was $400! D&#n!!
Bltprf502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:28 PM   #29
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bltprf502 View Post
The appealing thing that drew me to my first ereader (a Sony PRS-300) is they don't care what format or where your books come from. If the Kindle will do exactly just that, I may give it a whirl before I decide what to keep for a wireless unit.
Just to play devils advocate a bit.. ALL readers care what format you have however zero of them care the source of those books.

I have books on my Kindle from several sources. Yes, while most contemporary purchases use a DRMed format and the Kindle only supports Kindle DRM from the Kindle store... I have found no reason not to buy them there. I have yet to find an ebook I wanted that was not available in the Kindle store. Although I'm sure there are some rare examples.

BOb
Old 03-21-2010, 11:12 PM   #30
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Kindle.

The Kindle makes it easy to annotate and highlight, and moving those notes to your computer is easy. Note-taking and high-lighting is a pain in the butt on a Nook, and after two firmware updates there's still no way to upload those notes you do make to a PC. Getting around on the Kindle is a breeze. Navigation on the Nook is tedious. The Kindle's keyboard is always there when you need it. Calling up the Nook's virtual keyboard is time-consuming. The dictionary on the Kindle is fast and easy to use; simply move the cursor to the word you wish to look up and a brief definition appears at the bottom of the screen. Hitting the return key opens a more in-depth definition. To look up a word on the Nook, you must first wake up the lower screen, then navigate through the screen options until you come to the one for looking up definitions, then go through the Nook's painfully slow navigation process until you get to the word you desire. By that time, if you still remember which word it was you wished to know the meaning of when you began the process, the Nook will tell you.

Now, if all you plan to do is read books straight through from beginning to end, never switch between books you are currently reading, never annotate, never underline, never search through the text, and never look up words in the dictionary, one is pretty much as good as the other.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 03-21-2010 at 11:22 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote