Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-11-2008, 04:09 PM   #16
atarijedi
atarijedi began at the beginning.

Device: None
Most e-ink paper has a refresh rate of ~790ms in grayscale mode, which almost all ebook devices use. However, there is a 2nd mode, called 1bit mode, which has a refresh rate of ~260ms, I do not know how to access this mode, I just know its available. I am wondering what ebooks would look like in 1 bit mode, if they would have jaggies or not.
atarijedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:38 PM   #17
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by atarijedi View Post
Most e-ink paper has a refresh rate of ~790ms in grayscale mode, which almost all ebook devices use. However, there is a 2nd mode, called 1bit mode, which has a refresh rate of ~260ms, I do not know how to access this mode, I just know its available. I am wondering what ebooks would look like in 1 bit mode, if they would have jaggies or not.
They would have jaggies-- 1bit mode means each pixel is either on or off-- and anti-aliasing works by fooling the eye with shades of gray. Since you're turning off all the in-between shades they would jump out at you if you're the kind to notice them.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2008, 04:30 PM   #18
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
On the other hand, I stopped noticing the text and only ever see a black screen.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:40 PM   #19
palex481
Connoisseur
palex481 is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505
As I started this thread, I thought I'd weigh in my new opinion. After much research and research and going back to the borders store to play with the PRS-505 some more, I came to the conclusion it didn't really bother me.

Yeah its a little different at first. But I quickly got used it and have read 5 books now on my reader I just acquired last week.

I'm addicted. I haven't read this many books in years.
palex481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:42 PM   #20
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Bravo.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2008, 08:08 PM   #21
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Quote:
Originally Posted by palex481 View Post
I'm addicted. I haven't read this many books in years.
That's the, 'Oh crap, I better actually read something to justify what I spent on this' phase. Just hope you keep it up afterwards.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:37 AM   #22
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
I'm w/ Danny, I hit the page turn button as I read the last couple of lines --- usually I time it so that I don't have to wait too long and it's pretty rare that it turns before I'm done reading, though it is awkward when reading aloud to my kids --- have to memorize a couple of words to keep from having a noticeable pause.

I really wish that there were an option to display in multiple columns like to Tofu.app for Mac OS X so that one could turn and read continuously.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote