Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-15-2007, 05:03 PM   #16
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Maybe we need a company to develop a reader cover like an electric blanket to keep it warm.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 10:00 AM   #17
anotherchance
Zealot
anotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505
Interesting to note that others had the same problem as me. Mine was doing it again this morning for about 5 minutes. We had the first snow of the season here in Philly, and it was pretty cold.

Last edited by anotherchance; 12-06-2007 at 12:30 PM.
anotherchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2007, 11:14 AM   #18
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
It would be interesting to determine if the improvement is a matter of page flips, time, or reader temperature.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:38 PM   #19
anotherchance
Zealot
anotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
It would be interesting to determine if the improvement is a matter of page flips, time, or reader temperature.
I guess I'm going to have to sit out in the snow to test that. Once I was on the train and both me and the Reader were warmed, it came back after 4-5 minutes, maybe 20-30 flips.

And its not a gradual thing either, it stays with the double-page slow(ish) flips and then all of a sudden, the next flip is completely normal.

It's not that the Reader is unusable in this state, far from it, its just that the flips take marginally longer, and don't look as seamless (if you can call the fade to black and back seamless), but you know what I mean... I wouldn't want to demo the unit to anyone in this state as they'd think it was a horrible page transition.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:54 PM   #20
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I'm curious if this is a battery voltage or e-ink issue. I suppose it doesn't matter since you can't easily reach in and over-ride the battery with another power source. Pros using digital cameras in freezing weather often use a remote battery pack in a warm pocket.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2007, 03:59 PM   #21
anotherchance
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
I'm curious if this is a battery voltage or e-ink issue. I suppose it doesn't matter since you can't easily reach in and over-ride the battery with another power source. Pros using digital cameras in freezing weather often use a remote battery pack in a warm pocket.
Well I was fully charged via AC last night, so shouldn't be a battery issue. I was on 4 bars.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:03 PM   #22
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But temperature alone is enough to 'deactivate' some batteries regardless of charge. Your initial state of charge means nothing at low enough temperature (actual limits depend on chemistry of the cells in use).
Old 12-07-2007, 10:21 AM   #23
anotherchance
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
But temperature alone is enough to 'deactivate' some batteries regardless of charge. Your initial state of charge means nothing at low enough temperature (actual limits depend on chemistry of the cells in use).
OK. I guess its an eink thing then, because the Reader turns on and functions fine, other than the weird page flips.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:16 AM   #24
JohnsnowNW
JohnsnowNW began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezza View Post
I just bought my Reader (505, silver) this week, and I've been using it on the train platform to and from work, in temperatures as low as 37°F, without any odd behavior. It may help that I'm only using the device for less than 15 minutes in these conditions, as the train runs (mostly) on schedule. I guess I'll have to follow Bookeen's recommendations, though, when it starts to get colder. Perhaps I can make some kind of insulated sleeve for it, using those little glove warmers that are so popular in Japan.
If you've been doing that in the morning, it's been a bit colder than that. It has been under 20 degrees for the past couple of days. So, I'd say you've tested well under the 37.

*EDIT

You know, it might not be the best thing to read under those warming lights... Just thought about that...have you tried it?

*EDIT

You can go ahead an ignore the first statement, as I did not look at the post date.

Last edited by JohnsnowNW; 12-07-2007 at 11:44 AM.
JohnsnowNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 02:03 PM   #25
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsnowNW View Post
You know, it might not be the best thing to read under those warming lights... Just thought about that...have you tried it?
Unfortunately, the Metra stations don't have warming lamps, so I haven't had the chance to try that. I've not been using it on the platform for the last week or so, since I tried it when it was about 32° in the evening and the screen started wonking out on me. I don't read on the platform in the morning because that train usually comes on time and I don't have more than a minute or two to wait.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 03:17 PM   #26
Penforhire
Wizard

Does it play MP3's fine? That'd be an indication the battery is okay.