Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-27-2007, 01:27 AM   #1
jaybee
Enthusiast
jaybee began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Touch PRS-500
Update firmware with a Mac?

I just got my new Sony Reader! And yes, I'm a Mac user. I'm having no trouble loading books using the Docudesk browser, but I want to know if it's possible to install the new firmware upgrade from my Mac. Can someone tell me if this will work, and if there are any special tricks required.

Thanks,
Jaybee
jaybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:33 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The only "safe" way to do it is with Bootcamp.

Don't take the risk. Find a PC (I assume you have friends with PCs) and run the firmware updater from the PC. You run the risk of leaving your Reader "half-flashed" and unbootable if you do anything else.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:13 AM   #3
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: nook, T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide
Voice of experience here. Don't try to do the update under a virtual environment (vmware, parallels, qemu, etc.) either.

After I destroyed my reader less than two days after purchase trying to update that way, I got a replacement and asked the Sony store people to flash the new firmware for me. This is *definitely* something to ask a friend for two minutes' computer borrowing time.
beartard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:29 AM   #4
CLB_in_MD
CLB_in_MD began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
First time poster here. Greetings all!!

As others have stated, if you use Bootcamp then you should be OK. However, if there is a way to perform the firmware upgrade through Parallels then I haven't found it yet. I've managed to blow up two PRS-500 units trying.

I will be taking the 2nd one over to a friend's XP machine in the morning to upgrade it there.
CLB_in_MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:33 AM   #5
canicula
Enthusiast
canicula doesn't littercanicula doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, MacBook Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLB_in_MD View Post
However, if there is a way to perform the firmware upgrade through Parallels then I haven't found it yet. I've managed to blow up two PRS-500 units trying.
I updated mine using a Parallels hosted Vista VM on a MacBook Pro. It just worked. Of course, YMMY. I'm not responsible if anyone else's goes pear shaped!

Ian
canicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:35 AM   #6
CLB_in_MD
CLB_in_MD began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canicula View Post
I updated mine using a Parallels hosted Vista VM on a MacBook Pro. It just worked. Of course, YMMY. I'm not responsible if anyone else's goes pear shaped!

Ian
Glad to hear it! Vista may have made the difference. I'm running XP SP2 in my Parallels VM box.
CLB_in_MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:20 PM   #7
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

That's what I had (XP SP 2). I'm not about to shell out money for Vista in order to be able to upgrade my reader ;-)
Old 08-31-2007, 11:01 AM   #8
ndrake
ndrake began at the beginning.

Device: PRS500
I had issues trying to update using Windows XP via VMWare Fusion. Using boot camp worked ok for me.
ndrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 02:27 AM   #9
StDo
Translating Calibre...
StDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with others

Device: [PRS-500], PB360
I updated my Reader using a Parallels hosted Win XP SP2 - no problems at all. Reader still working.
StDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 01:39 AM   #10
adinb
RSS & Gadget Addict!
adinb is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-500, iPod Touch, iPhone
Ditto, no problems updating firmware (XPSP2) here, though it was with an older version of parallels.
adinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 02:32 AM   #11
beartard
Minister of Linux

And you were both lucky.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:10 PM   #12
adinb
RSS & Gadget Addict!
adinb is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-500, iPod Touch, iPhone
not too lucky. My reader is going back to Sony for the third time (unrelated to the firmware-- first time was a screen issue, second time was b/c they set my device ID to 0, third time b/c they didn't fix the device ID).
adinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 06:38 PM   #13
beartard
Minister of Linux

I'm sorry to hear it, man. I bricked mine within the first three days of ownership trying to update the firmware using XPSP1 (only thing I had an install disc for...collecting dust in the bottom of a drawer somewhere) under QEMU. It's true what they say: it's like playing russsian roulette. The host system and the virtual system share the USB connection and if the host system goes "you still there?" to the reader while the firmware is updating, the whole thing gets screwed up and you're left with an expensive doorstop.

Sony is notorious for poor, slow, and expensive repair and replacement. I've gone through shortwave radios with them in the past and had no joy. I hope your experience is better.