Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-09-2010, 07:34 PM   #46
eski15
eski15 began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Mini
I have to go with ColdSun on this one. I have had the reader since Sunday when I convinced an employee to get me one from the back room. I have updated the firmware 2X now and the it seem's that the WIFI problem has been solved and I am able to connect and get material from the B&N site. The browser is a little slow as is the touch response. The reader has only locked up on me 1 or 2 times and that was before the last update. I am not and did not expect IPAD like response from a sub $200 reader. Is the unit perfect? No, but I think it has a lot of potential. For the price I do not think it can be beat!! I am looking forward to future updates and using it for a long time.
eski15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:48 PM   #47
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post

THESE are the facts. I'm done talking about it now, but I can't say I'm not disappointed in Slashgear and you, Nate.
Slashgear seems to rely quite a bit on Nate as a source and doesn't bother to check facts for themselves. Slashgear also had an earlier post based on Nate's first impressions on the device. If Slashgear even bothered to do some googling, thy would at least see that Pandigital is getting mixed reviews.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:05 PM   #48
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabound View Post
Slashgear seems to rely quite a bit on Nate as a source and doesn't bother to check facts for themselves. Slashgear also had an earlier post based on Nate's first impressions on the device. If Slashgear even bothered to do some googling, thy would at least see that Pandigital is getting mixed reviews.
How does one should fact check a review? I thought a review was a collection of opinions, not facts.

And can you point me at a review that was on the web early Monday morning when Slashgear reposted mine? I couldn't find any.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:03 PM   #49
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
They posted that mumbo-jumbo today and it was wrong. They should have checked with Pandigital, as I did. You should have too. Instead more assumptions and rumors are spread around. Do I believe everything Pandigital told me? No, but it did come FROM them and not some misinformed employee at Kohls. When I called several local Kohls stores to find the device in the first place, not one of the people I called even knew what it was, with only one of them even knowing what an ebook reader was.

When I went to pick mine up on Monday I had to ask around because no one had a clue what I was talking about, much less what an ebook reader was. Once they found it, locked in a manager's office, they refused to sell it at first. They relented and sold it to me for the normal price of $259. Today they honored the sale price since I had already purchased it, had the ad, and had it written on my receipt. I think ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
How does one should fact check a review? I thought a review was a collection of opinions, not facts.

And can you point me at a review that was on the web early Monday morning when Slashgear reposted mine? I couldn't find any.
I believe the fact checking involves the story today, which they updated and even agreed might have been too harsh. Then again, you could try to sell the Novel to people like I met at Kohls over the week who had no idea what an ebook reader was. Of course, when they got home and the wireless wasn't working they would have returned it and been pissed off. It wasn't a win-win situation for Pandigital. I feel sorry for the guy who had to make that call today to be honest.

Now, I agree that reviews are opinions. At the same time, a good review is a thoughtful and well-built article listing the features, functionality, and opinions of the reviewer. Good reviewers are quick to list the pros and cons in the body of the article itself, or in a section all its own. Your review was con-con-con. I didn't see much positive in there to be honest. This at first made me circumspect of the review, since I have this device in hand, I know for a fact it deserves a better commentary, even initial thoughts, than you gave it. Is it the next iPad? Heck no. So we had a difference of opinion and I stated that I respect yours. That was until I saw the article on Slashgear and then your continued support of "the half-baked" Novel statement.

Last edited by ColdSun; 06-09-2010 at 09:17 PM.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:11 PM   #50
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post

I was talking about fact-checking the Pandigital "recall". Even their correction was from you, not Pandigital.

There might not have been any opposing reviews at the time you released your first impressions, but they didn't bother to post any other reviews which appeared after that either (or did they?). I guess they have not heard of MobileRead.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:17 PM   #51
bookwurm70
Addict
bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: eSlick, Pocketbook IQ, iPad, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendOfEntropy View Post

So, what to do but make up another conspiracy....maybe it's a concerted effort to delay shipping so far that you don't get your reader in hand to clip your UPC from the box until well past the July 15 deadline for submitting rebate forms has passed
Now this makes sense, because I ordered it online during the night last night and it will not arrive to me until the 20th, they say. So, no rebate for me. But that's okay, I'm paying $130 with tax and free shipping, so I'm happy.
bookwurm70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:37 PM   #52
FriendOfEntropy
Radioactivist Mutant
FriendOfEntropy began at the beginning.

Device: Witstech A81, Toshiba e310 Pocket PC
I was sort of kidding. Well, not really I guess because that's how I bet this thing works out after all, lol.

But I bet your order says June 20 like mine. That would be fine if it actually works on that schedule, you'd have plenty of days to mail your rebate before July 15. I think you mixed months up in your desire to believe my theory, heheheh. I had to stare at the printout several times to make sure it said July 15, 2010 and that it really wasn't 2011.

Actually, with all this uproar, I bet the June 20 doesn't fly, and it is delayed so long the July 15 date is missed.

I'm putting my tin foil hat back on now and waiting patiently to get hosed on this pricing...through blatant lies or honest delays....or both

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwurm70 View Post
Now this makes sense, because I ordered it online during the night last night and it will not arrive to me until the 20th, they say. So, no rebate for me. But that's okay, I'm paying $130 with tax and free shipping, so I'm happy.
FriendOfEntropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:41 PM   #53
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Before I knew tht I could get one in store, I ordered on Saturday night. It's going to be here on Friday.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:31 PM   #54
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
I think we need to give Pandigital the benefit of the doubt. They seem to care about making a good first impression with this device and I can't blame them for that. I was really disappointed today because I was excited about getting one. However, the delay doesn't appear to be that big of a deal.

Mostly I blame Kohls for not knowing jack about the products they sell. They swore up and down yesterday that the device was online only. They also had no clue what it was. When I pressed them about it they eventually found two of them and agreed to sell them to me for $259, and no post purchase price match! Today I was told by two stores that they were defective and recalled. Given their overall lack of knowledge, I did what Coldsun did and called Pandigital.

It was nice being able to immediately talk to a real person who spoke English. They were very clear that they simply wanted to upgrade the firmware before the devices went on sale, and that the problem would be resolved in under a week.

I still plan on buying one when they are available (I'm first on the waiting list) and I will judge the device when it is actually in my possession, and not by the misinformation disseminated by some rude and ignorant Kohls employees (they were quite sarcastic until I proved that they actually carried the device).

This device seems to have a lot of potential, and definitely nails the price point I've been looking for. Lets not trash it without giving it a chance, because I for one would like to see this device catch on.

Coldsun, thank you for your impressions so far. After Nate's review I was convinced that we were in for another letdown. Now I'm willing to see for myself. I would really appreciate it if you could upload some videos of the device in action performing various tasks. There isn't much to go on right now, and sadly I don't have mine yet to play with! I sure wish I got one early so that I could upgrade the firmware myself lol.

One quick question for those that have one, can you browse the internet in portrait and landscape orientation? Thanks again to everyone that took the time to keep us all informed.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:47 PM   #55
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

I went to version 07 of the firmware and then stepped back to 05, so I know for sure in 05 you can change both the browser and ebook reading application from portrait to landscape. You can tell the browser to stay in landscape and every time you start the browser it will go back to landscape again and return to portrait when it leaves. The ebook reading application worked by changing the "lock" icon in the application menu to the top right. It didn't seem to cause problems for me, but apparently they disabled the lock icon in 07 due to a bug. They said it was going to be enabled again when they fixed it.

Also, I was having problems with the wifi in 07, and it appears other folks are too. Pandigital told me to simply re-install 07 to fix it, but that only partially fixed the problem. First time around, wireless just wasn't finding any routers. Second time, the routers would show up but it would forget the settings immediately and try to scan again. With 05 it works perfectly (wireless that is).

I noticed there seems to be an issue with using an SD card with the device. When I don't have one in it never freezes up. When I put in an SD card it works fine, and autodetects all my music and epubs on the card (which is VERY cool), and adds them to the library. The Pandigital tech said they are aware of this SD card issue and they are working on it and to check daily for updates.

Last edited by ColdSun; 06-09-2010 at 11:52 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:47 AM   #56
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
I don't have much faith in rebates anyway. So I am okay with having saved so much with the sale combined with the coupon. I can also wait until the 20th, but it won't be easy. The up side is that hopefully by then there will be a stable firmware that addresses the majority of the reader's issues. I am excited about this reader and look forward to getting it.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:28 PM   #57
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I posted my review:
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...l-novel-video/

I also shot a video:
Old 06-12-2010, 12:27 AM   #58
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
That video clears it up for me.

The Pandigital is slightly better than the Sony Touch in speed, reliability, and overall software design quality. And it's color. And it's half the price. For those that don't mind LCD screens, it looks like a great choice.

Note: I was appalled with the firmware quality of the Sony readers.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 03:31 AM   #59
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews

Well since Nate posted a video already, I'll just chime in and say that mine works pretty much the same way, except I don't think its so bad. The clear thing about this video is that anyone who is used to a capacitive screen might have a hard time adjusting (especially when using the device for more than reading). Since I'm so used to these resistive screens, it doesn't bother me much. I felt the page turning speed was average with pretty much every Android device I've seen so far (MID size). Clearly not the show-stopper it was made to be. On the other side, the reader application itself can be troublesome, especially when trying to use the top menu that for some reason just won't come up no matter how many single-taps you perform. It seems like quite a few of the problems with the reader application are software related.

Oh, and the screen rotation you mentioned in the video is a known issue - it is actually turned off on purpose due to a bug - in the latest firmware. If you step back to 05 you can rotate the screen in the browser and the reader quite easily. I still say this is a great device for the price (especially for those of you who got great discounts at Kohl's).
Old 06-12-2010, 07:08 AM   #60
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
That video clears it up for me.

The Pandigital is slightly better than the Sony Touch in speed, reliability, and overall software design quality. And it's color. And it's half the price. For those that don't mind LCD screens, it looks like a great choice.

Note: I was appalled with the firmware quality of the Sony readers.
Actually, the Sony Touch is the same price (in the US). I think you're thinking of the Daily Edition, used to be $399, but is now $299.