Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 06-23-2009, 01:11 PM   #1
profnachos
Connoisseur
profnachos began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Treo
Advent ADV3500PC XP tablet. Has anyone looked into this?

Advent ADV3500PC 7" Portable GPS Navigation with built in Tablet PC

It is a tablet PC with GPS, which I can certainly use. Not clear from the specs is whether it has built in WIFI, and what the battery life is. What do you think?

* 1.8? 30 GB Hard Drive
* AC/DC Adapters
* Bluetooth
* Built-In Card Reader and Two USB Ports
* Full Functioning Remote Control
* Headphone Jack
* Includes Windshield Mounting Bracket
* MP3 and Video Playback Compatible
* Panel Resolution 800 x 480
* Rechargeable Li-Polymer Battery
* Turn By Turn Voice Prompts
* USA and Canada Maps
profnachos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:13 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
WinXP for $270? That's not bad.

And the description did say Wifi.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:14 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
WinXP for $270? That's not bad.

And the description did say Wifi.
Time to get out the Visa!
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:45 PM   #4
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
I saw this Sunday on Buy.com and was intrigued. I had never heard of it. So do you think that apps can be installed? I could definitely find a place for it in my life.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:48 PM   #5
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Here's one customer review

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand
One Response to “Advent ADV3500PC 7-inch Portable GPS Navigation - $270 Shipped”
anand says:
June 21, 2009 at 3:35 am
i have one of these and would never recommend it. gps is very slow to lock in the satelites, battery life is pathetic and xp is slow (due to only 256mb memory) - cheers, anand
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:03 PM   #6
wermy
wermy began at the beginning.

Device: SmartQ 7
The location on the screen is about 5 minutes from where I am sitting right now. :O
wermy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:03 PM   #7
profnachos
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Here's one customer review
Short battery life looks to be the deal breaker. Also it lacks the forward and back buttons.

Last edited by profnachos; 06-23-2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:31 PM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by profnachos View Post
Short battery life looks to be the deal killer. Also it lacks the forward and back buttons.
He doesn't say how short is short... Is it 1 hour, 2 hours, 5 hours?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:41 PM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Would've gotten one if I hadn't known about the Viliv X70 EX. Right now, I'm just saving my money for the Viliv.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:51 PM   #10
profnachos
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
He doesn't say how short is short... Is it 1 hour, 2 hours, 5 hours?
Can't tell you exactly where, but I read in more than one place 1.5 hours.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:19 PM   #11
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
They have a 15 day return policy, so I ordered one. Most I can lose is one way shipping!

I'm pretty sure it's not a reader because of battery life, but I'd like an XP tablet for other reasons. And it says it comes with a car charger, so it should at least be a decent GPS.

If the RAM is user upgradeable, that'd be even better! H'mm I think I have a 1Gig DDR stick laying around.

I'll keep you posted when it arrives. Shipping to Hawaii will probably take a couple of weeks. Slow boat, don't ya know!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 04:54 PM   #12
bjkel
Connoisseur
bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Nook Color, Kobo, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Forma
Battery life is a deal breaker on so many of these devices for me. I don't mind recharging each day but I would like to be able to get through a book before it needs a recharge.
bjkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:18 AM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkel View Post
Battery life is a deal breaker on so many of these devices for me. I don't mind recharging each day but I would like to be able to get through a book before it needs a recharge.
You get through a book every day?

I wish I had the time... Right now, I do about three days with a battery (provided I don't start wifi). And my battery takes about 3-4 hours before it's at 30% and I'll charge it (because it will start to complain about low battery power then )
Old 06-24-2009, 07:26 AM   #14
bjkel
Connoisseur
bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Nook Color, Kobo, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
You get through a book every day?

I wish I had the time... Right now, I do about three days with a battery (provided I don't start wifi). And my battery takes about 3-4 hours before it's at 30% and I'll charge it (because it will start to complain about low battery power then )
I don't get through a book a day. I said I don't mind recharging each day. What I hate is when I'm in the middle of a book and I get low battery warnings.
bjkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:39 AM   #15
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Ah, I know what you mean! I only have that if I forgot to charge the device... But that will happen with every device that works on a battery, I'm afraid. I think it might happen more, to me, if I have a device with a long battery life (as I'll keep thinking it won't need to be charged yet only to find out it's empty ) And I have my PDA docking station not beside my PC but beside my bed...