Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-29-2010, 06:24 PM   #1
laurai
Biblophibian
laurai began at the beginning.

Device: (BeBook mini - dead) Kindle 3
Transfer question

Hi all with the death of my bebook mini (tragic drowning) I am seriously looking at getting a kindle 3. I have a couple of questions, if I buy a book on the kindle, can I then transfer it directly to my computer (via usb or whatever) without going through Amazon again?

Geo restrictions have caused me to have 2 accounts with Amazon and my Kindle-for-PC is linked to the American account, whereas I don't think I could conceal the fact that my kindle would be in Australia. Will this be an issue? Can a kindle be linked to more than one Amazon account? Can you only side-load the kindle via kindle for PC or can you do a direct file transfer? (The pdf support makes me hope for the latter)

The k3 is very tempting, and I like the price, but I would prefer to minimise the number of hoops I need to jump through for my content.

Cheers,

Laura
laurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:50 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurai View Post
if I buy a book on the kindle, can I then transfer it directly to my computer (via usb or whatever) without going through Amazon again?
Yes. Works both ways with a USB connection: copy to or from KINDLE\documents\ and your PC. Where KINDLE is the drive assigned by the PC.

Each device will have a unique Kindle ID, so a DRMed book file you can read on the K3 cannot be read via the PC or any other device. However you can download the same book to 5 or more devices, depending on the publisher.

Quote:
Can a kindle be linked to more than one Amazon account?
Not similtaneously, but you can alternate between multiple acounts.

Quote:
Can you only side-load the kindle via kindle for PC or can you do a direct file transfer? (The pdf support makes me hope for the latter)
See above about copying directly to the Kindle's documents folder. You can use this easy method to sideload any file the K3 can read.

Last edited by jswinden; 08-29-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Advert
Old 08-29-2010, 07:04 PM   #3
laurai
Biblophibian

Thanks for that, it makes my purchase more likely. 8->

Laura
Old 08-29-2010, 09:06 PM   #4
fordan
fordan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurai;
Geo restrictions have caused me to have 2 accounts with Amazon and my Kindle-for-PC is linked to the American account, whereas I don't think I could conceal the fact that my kindle would be in Australia. Will this be an issue?
If you have things setup so that you can purchase content from the US store I think you've already done the heavy lifting to use a Kindle for US content. I would think you would just need to associate it with the American account. You may have to pay the wireless delivery surcharge like an American on vacation in Australia would, but you should have access to all US content if you have an account with a US address already set up.
fordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:09 PM   #5
laurai
Biblophibian

I have ordered my kindle, my plan is to only use wireless to load content purchased through my Australian account. For the content I already have, and future purchases from the US store I will load via USB as I previously did with my bebook. (via unswindle and calibre)

Anyone see any problems with this plan I need to be wary of?

Laura
Advert
Old 08-31-2010, 06:59 PM   #6
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I received my Kindle today, so far tonight I have loaded just over 500 books via Calibre, and sorted them into collections, using a USB lead, just be aware its not normal mini USB lead, the Kindle does come with one but the first thing I did when I got it was order a spare lead!

I have had no problems at all, all my existing books were converted to MOBI format by Calibre first. And the 14 books I bought from Amazon were downloaded via wifi
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:21 PM   #7
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
The USB on the Kindle is a micro USB which is becoming much more common. Several major mobile phone manufacturers have agreed to use it as the standard for charging. The mini USB is getting less common these days.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:38 PM   #8
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
I have ordered my kindle, my plan is to only use wireless to load content purchased through my Australian account. For the content I already have, and future purchases from the US store I will load via USB as I previously did with my bebook. (via unswindle and calibre)

Laura
Nope. You seem to be covered.

You *might* want to also use a separate K4PC setup (maybe on a different PC or via a virtual PC) to re-download the ebooks purchased via the Australian account to get DRM-free backups of those book for future-proofing. But that's a belt-n-suspenders kinda thing.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:46 AM   #9
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Can you have the Kindle registered to one US account and one UK account?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:03 AM   #10
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Can you have the Kindle registered to one US account and one UK account?
I believe you can only be registered to one account at a time. I don't know if switching it back and forth between two accounts in different countries would raise a red flag as far as geographic restrictions go, but I wouldn't be surprised.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:04 PM   #11
fordan
fordan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:

Laura
Downside to this approach is that you don't get the position synchronization of your US content between your kindle instances (Kindle ereader/K4PC/iPhone app/etc), even if you use Wifi. Don't know how important that is to you.
fordan is offline   Reply With Quote