Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 08-10-2010, 08:41 PM   #1
Blusaber
Enthusiast
Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505,JBL,Sony PRS350,Nook Color,Kindle 3
Why E-ink?

My JBL showed up yesterday From JR It came with ver 15 I updated to 16 then realized I needed 16b for the Library books so I updated again Both updates went very smoothly.

After downloading a book and reading last nite and several hours today all I can think is why are the Sony, Nook ect even messing with E-ink.

I Love the screen on this little guy and don't think I can go back to any other type. Is the TFT screen new or old technology? It seems to be the perfect venue for readers.

I bought the JBL sight unseen just from the reviews on this Forum Boy am I glad I did..... super little reader I'm very happy.

If anyone can point me to a case that handles the battery hump I'd appreciate it

Thanks

Gary

Last edited by Blusaber; 08-10-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Blusaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:56 PM   #2
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Congratulations Gary! I think that all of us who own a jetBook Lite agree with you about the reflective TFT screen.

Newegg has the case on sale for $17.99 plus $2.99 shipping. Well worth it!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-017-_-Product
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2010, 09:25 PM   #3
Blusaber
Enthusiast
Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for the link Russell I placed one on order.

Gary
Old 08-10-2010, 10:44 PM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Let me second that recommendation for the JBL case/leather sleeve, it does a great
job of protecting the JBL without adding hardly anything to the dimensions of the device.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:01 AM   #5
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
The biggest draw for e-ink technology is increased battery life since the display, the biggest battery hog, draws power only when being "written to" whereas an LCD screen (such as JB's and JBL's reflective LCD screens) is on constantly, constantly drawing power. JB's and JBL's reflective LCD screens draw less power than most LCDs since they do not require backlighting which increases battery draw (of course, the downside of a reflective LCD is not being able to read in poor lighting). Other power drains are WiFi and 3G. People have different preferences. I like the longer battery life e-ink screens offer. They are also easier to read from. However, they need to clear the previous screen with each screen rewrite creating a "flash' many annoying to intolerable. I don't find it to be a problem. The JBL, however, had two features my previous e-ink device didn't have, one being the ability to use field-changeable nonpropietary batteries, and one of which is essential for me: flexible zoom. Most people seem to prefer longer battery life in a lighter unit so e-ink screens will continue to proliferate.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2010, 12:32 AM   #6
Blusaber
Enthusiast

Thank you Jeannie

That put it in perspective for me. Personally I don't see My 505 as being easier to read than the JBL but yes I can go for weeks with out recharging it. I intend to get a couple of sets of rechargeable batts. Time will tell if I get tired of changing batts out.

Excellent point

Gary
Old 08-11-2010, 12:35 AM   #7
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Gary, I need to change my rechargeable batteries once every two weeks. I have two sets, so one is charged and ready to go when the set in the device begins to fail.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:42 AM   #8
Blusaber
Enthusiast

Cool that will work. Today I was home early and read for about three hours but my average is more like one or two hours a sitting and not every day as the honey do's need attention from time to time

Gary
Old 08-11-2010, 12:57 AM   #9
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blusaber View Post
Thank you Jeannie

That put it in perspective for me. Personally I don't see My 505 as being easier to read than the JBL but yes I can go for weeks with out recharging it. I intend to get a couple of sets of rechargeable batts. Time will tell if I get tired of changing batts out.

Excellent point

Gary
I would agree that the 505 wouldn't be much easier than the JBL. Others, such as the Astak Mentor, are. Once you have a book loaded, the JBL boots much faster and page changes are faster. I haven't done much reading on my JBL yet but I'm still using the batteries that came with it for the past month or two and the guage hasn't budged yet. When these batteries croak, I'll just pop in a couple of the Sanyo Eneloops I keep in generous supply in my purse. Supposedly, the JBL will go 25 hours on a pair of batteries (or a pair of cells, if you want to get technical).
Old 08-11-2010, 08:16 AM   #10
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
I read a lot, and I'm getting 6 - 7 days on a set of charged battery's.

As to the low light, I've read my JBL by candlelight with no problems. Granted I did kick the font size up one notch. But I can read perfectly comfortably by the light of just 2 candles with the Jetbook.

To me Jetbook's screen is one of its best points, its clear, crisp, and updates almost instantly with no flash.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:11 AM   #11
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Let me second that recommendation for the JBL case/leather sleeve, it does a great
job of protecting the JBL without adding hardly anything to the dimensions of the device.

Luck;
Ken
Frankly, I'm not very impressed with the photos of the "cover." It's just a sleeve and to use the JBL, one would have to remove it from the sleeve. The battery "blister" is left exposed to possible damage. A sleeve that has a matching protrusion to cover and protect the blister and has a magnetic self latching cover that opens like a book would be more convenient.

I almost spewed soda over my keyboard and monitor when I saw the price on the Ectaco website. NewEgg's current price makes a bit more sense. If I'm still happy with the JBL after I've used it a few more months, I'm going to make my own tooled leather case for it.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:13 AM   #12
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
As much as I LOVE my JB, I would have to say I find it hard to read in normal lamplight at night. I'm a bit over 50 years of age and found myself swearing at the glare from clip on lamps or tired eyes in the evening. I have ordered the new Kindle 3 as it advertises fast page turns, long battery life and smaller size, hopefully it will be similar to my JB which is what I take to work with me. On a lark, I picked up a $90 reader named the Book by Augen over the weekend with a backlit screen for night reading. So far I'm happy with it, but prefer smaller size and ease of the JB, though E-ink is easier on my eyes.
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:40 AM   #13
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieknits View Post
As much as I LOVE my JB, I would have to say I find it hard to read in normal lamplight at night. I'm a bit over 50 years of age and found myself swearing at the glare from clip on lamps or tired eyes in the evening. I have ordered the new Kindle 3 as it advertises fast page turns, long battery life and smaller size, hopefully it will be similar to my JB which is what I take to work with me. On a lark, I picked up a $90 reader named the Book by Augen over the weekend with a backlit screen for night reading. So far I'm happy with it, but prefer smaller size and ease of the JB, though E-ink is easier on my eyes.
I'm passing on The Book because of it's physical size. I like the length to width ratio but the key pad makes to long too fit confortably in my purse.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:10 PM   #14
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Frankly, I'm not very impressed with the photos of the "cover." It's just a sleeve and to use the JBL, one would have to remove it from the sleeve. The battery "blister" is left exposed to possible damage. A sleeve that has a matching protrusion to cover and protect the blister and has a magnetic self latching cover that opens like a book would be more convenient.

I almost spewed soda over my keyboard and monitor when I saw the price on the Ectaco website. NewEgg's current price makes a bit more sense. If I'm still happy with the JBL after I've used it a few more months, I'm going to make my own tooled leather case for it.
I got mine for free when they were doing their video promotion.

I slip the JBL into the sleeve in reverse when I want to read. It extends my handhold a little and partially protects the case in case I drop it.

But I would like something to protect the battery case.
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:57 PM   #15
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Free is good.