Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-15-2006, 08:32 PM   #1
baker101
baker101 began at the beginning.

nooby here, have a few questions?

Hi,
I just recently came across the reader from another forum and now thinking that it may do me some good. i am a programmer and on my desk i have a bunch of books that i am always opening just to look something up quickly. i thought that maybe this sony reader thing would be a wonderful tool if i can upload ebooks, bookmark the pages i always reference, so that when i am programming and i need to look something up real quick, i can just do it on the reader.
does this sound like something the reader would do well with? can anyone give me a bit more information on how the bookmark functionality works? is there a certain amount of bookmarks you can have for one book? can you see all the bookmarks in one view?

for pdfs, can i select a chapter and have the reader go to it?

ive been reading that pdf's dont format well, but from my breif reading here, i can just reformat them to my own liking?

i am also a cook and have a big binder of recipes. i guess i can also make my own documents and use my reader as also a cookbook?

thanks!

also, does anyone have any links to reader videos? the ones i find online like on youtube are just quick reviews. etc...

Last edited by baker101; 12-15-2006 at 08:35 PM.
baker101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 10:04 PM   #2
flumbo
I got nothin...
flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I use my reader mainly for fiction. I tried moving a couple of my programming pdfs into the reader, but found they weren't really formatted to read very easily. The text and illustrations are far too small when shrunk to fit the Reader screen, at least for my eyes.

There also isn't a search functionality on the reader (There are several threads that discuss this) so if you want to search a book for a specific programming term you are out of luck... for now.

For reading novels or a linear non-fiction book, I think it is great but I don't think it works well as a reference tool. I know others are using it for reference books, but for me it doesnt' work...

Get it anyway, you'll love it!
flumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2006, 10:21 PM   #3
baker101

hello flumbo, thanks for the reply!

if all else fails, what is the best method for creating your own docs to be viewed on the reader?

just use a pdf program tool to resize everything? or create my own pdf in my own format?
Old 12-15-2006, 11:00 PM   #4
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
PDF works OK if you set the output size to the Reader's screen size. If you don't need illustrations though, use RTF - very easy to work with and the Reader processes it very quickly.

If you want to get it looking exactly how you like, with tables, illustrations, etc, you'll want to use the proprietary Sony LRF format. There's some public domain tools that will generate an LRF file - just search the forum and you'll find the relevant threads.

If your reference books are in some format that you can re-size/re-flow the Reader might work for you but, as flumbo pointed out, its real focus is linear reading.

I'm not aware of a limit on the number of bookmarks per book. They show up in the bookmark list as a number and a couple of lines of text above and below where the mark is set. If you want to limit what shows, you can put a page break before the bookmark, then you just get the first line after the bookmark. The Reader supports linked navigation in PDF's and LRF's, but exactly how that works is still a matter of debate.

You can show either a list of bookmarks in a particular book, or a list of all bookmarks in all books.

If your reference books are hard-coded for 8x11, or use a lot of diagrams, you're probably out of luck. Try printing a couple of pages shrunken down to the size of the Reader to see what I mean.

You can type up your recipes as RTF's or, if they are relatively small (e.g. 3x5 cards), you could scan them to a PDF file as images. Either would work fine on the Reader.

Cheers,
Bob
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 11:18 PM   #5
baker101

hi bob thanks for the details.

sony style is offering 150$ credit for signing up with the credit card service, so getting a reader is very tempting. i am going to keep reading the forums to see what kind of quality i can get when using the reader.
Advert
Old 12-16-2006, 04:37 PM   #6
baker101

would anyone have actual photos of the reader display pdf files? maybe pdf files with some images?

thanks
Old 12-17-2006, 10:35 AM   #7
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
If you have Acrobat Pro, at installation it provides a menu inside Word. From there you can reformat your document to RTF which is a better "displayer" for the reader.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 12:16 PM   #8
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by baker101
hi bob thanks for the details.

sony style is offering 150$ credit for signing up with the credit card service, so getting a reader is very tempting. i am going to keep reading the forums to see what kind of quality i can get when using the reader.
I saw that. When I signed up and got my card it was for $100..... I am still waiting for it. maybe now that I paid off my big purchase they will give me my credit <G>
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote