Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-04-2009, 05:46 AM   #16
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
Well, it seems a mobi renamed to epub extension. If you have an hex editor you can see the header and verify if it is epub or mobi. Other easy way to verify it is rename to .mobi and load it with mobipocket desktop. If it does, it is mobi instead fo epub.

I'm completely sure Kindle Intl does not read epub.
Which would seem to be the standard understanding. I was surprised when the kindle store listed a book in epub format ( http://www.amazon.com/Twilight-epub/...7331455&sr=1-1 ) and that is why I decided to experiment. The file I transferred is on my PC at work, so can't check it now, will have to wait until tomorrow. There is only a mobi version showing on my kindle when I check the document folder. Very odd, will delete mobi version and repeat experiment tomorrow and see what occurs and report back.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:15 AM   #17
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by sianon View Post
Which would seem to be the standard understanding. I was surprised when the kindle store listed a book in epub format ( http://www.amazon.com/Twilight-epub/...7331455&sr=1-1 ) and that is why I decided to experiment. The file I transferred is on my PC at work, so can't check it now, will have to wait until tomorrow. There is only a mobi version showing on my kindle when I check the document folder. Very odd, will delete mobi version and repeat experiment tomorrow and see what occurs and report back.
Yep. It is very strange. The book only can be purchased outside USA, and the demo I've downloaded is AZW...

Is it a part of a series book or can it be read standalone? If the second, for 5 bucks that are about 3 euro I will purchase it to see what format is.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2009, 06:21 AM   #18
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

It is not for the format, it is for [E]uropean [PUB]lication.

Here USA version: http://www.amazon.com/Twilight-Saga-...=AG56TWVU5XWC2

Here EU version: http://www.amazon.com/Twilight-epub/...7331455&sr=1-1

By the way, it seems cheaper EU one.

Last edited by rfog; 11-04-2009 at 07:12 AM.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:22 AM   #19
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

It is not for the format, it is for [E]uropean [PUB]lication.

Here USA version: http://www.amazon.com/Twilight-Saga-...=AG56TWVU5XWC2

Here EU version: http://www.amazon.com/Twilight-epub/...7331455&sr=1-1

By the way, it seems cheaper EU one.

This whole thread is

Thanks guys!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:28 PM   #20
PaulGuy
Zealot
PaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enough

Device: GDX, K2i, K3 3G, nook wi-fi
My thoughts and experience mirror David's. I have a Sony 505, Kindle 2, and Kindle DX, and have tried both the Sony 600 and 300. Once I got the DX the others have sat pretty much idle. The higher resolution, PDF native, and larger screen just make the DX the finest e-reader I have ever used. Having said all that I have pre-ordered a Nook simply because I'm a gadget geek and e-reader junkie. I want to have one and put it through it's paces. If I like it I'll keep it though the K2 and 505 may then be put on the used market. For now though the DX is my precious.
PaulGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2009, 03:33 PM   #21
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
In regards to the Twilight (epub) on Amazon -- that's hilarious/sad. Amazon's definition for epub is European Publication.

In regards to the Nook. I'm with PaulGuy. I have a Kindle DX and I absolutely love it, and my Kindle 1 is gathering dust. The Nook's screen is simply too small for displaying a lot of PDFs and there are tons of free PDFs on books.google and archive.org. Plus the cost of purchased ebooks is substantially lower at Amazon. For that alone, I'd prefer the Kindle 2 over the Nook, but in my opinion the Nook isn't even in the same league as the Kindle DX.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 04:54 PM   #22
juj1n
Connoisseur
juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Lots!
You can't truly critique the nook until it comes out and people have physically reviewed it. Until then nooks reviews are just based on assumptions and tech specs.
juj1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:39 PM   #23
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj1n View Post
You can't truly critique the nook until it comes out and people have physically reviewed it. Until then nooks reviews are just based on assumptions and tech specs.
Oh come on , the tech specs and B&N's message boards certainly give us enough information to reach conclusions. Plus, one of the biggest complaints is the price difference between Amazon books and B&N books. You can go check those prices now.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:25 AM   #24
geneaber
Connoisseur
geneaber doesn't littergeneaber doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
I am the originator of this thread. I opted to go for the Kindle 2. I would have preferred the DX, but it was too pricy for me. My decision was based mostly on ebook prices, but the clincher was the Spring Design lawsuit. I read the Non-Disclosure Agreement and had significant concerns that the Court may issue an injunction holding up delivery (I am a business attorney) and I did not want to wait. Kindle is supposed to be delivered next week.
geneaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:52 AM   #25
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
I have a DX and I love it. I did consider buying a Nook for the EPub support but I cancelled that order when I saw the specs for the upcoming IRex reader. EPub support and a slightly larger screen will work fine for me!

But then of course there is the question of the bazillion Kindle books I have purchased, which only work on that reader. Yes I know if I go to the 'dark side' I can remove the DRM so I can read them on other readers, but it doesn't work for all of the books (AWZ1 and Topaz) so I'm kinda 'stuck' with a Kindle until Amazon sees the light and embraces EPub.

Not that I mind being 'stuck' with it, I love the durn thing, I'm just sayin'...
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:13 PM   #26
askenase13
askenase13 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
I just engagd in a discussion about the Kindle, some of which included discussion fo the yet to be released nook. you can listen at thekindlechronicles.com.

Having just read the lawsuit, I think the injunction could issue against B & N. Plus, the nook seems more advertising fluff than substance. Stick with the kindle/.
askenase13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:04 PM   #27
juj1n
Connoisseur
juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Lots!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
Oh come on , the tech specs and B&N's message boards certainly give us enough information to reach conclusions. Plus, one of the biggest complaints is the price difference between Amazon books and B&N books. You can go check those prices now.
Not likely. specs are numbers are one thing but have the physical device in hand is another. The book prices is what's holding me back but BN is still in the process of revamping their ebook store. They did say during their Q&A they were going to be competitive in ebook pricing and they've yet to convert their ebook formats yet. There is still much to be done so we won't know what the deal is until the end of November.
juj1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:22 AM   #28
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj1n View Post
Not likely. specs are numbers are one thing but have the physical device in hand is another. The book prices is what's holding me back but BN is still in the process of revamping their ebook store. They did say during their Q&A they were going to be competitive in ebook pricing and they've yet to convert their ebook formats yet. There is still much to be done so we won't know what the deal is until the end of November.
they sure are stepping all over it with golf cleats. even though the "frenzied" christmas shopping doesn't get off for another couple of weeks many buying decisions have already been made. especially those that are higher ticket items. I am a Kindle I owner giving a Kindle II to an older relative for christmas. I came >.< close to getting the Nook... simply to expand our e-reading horizons (I have very few Kindle complaints). the "sharing" preverication was strike one against the Nook being gifted. the inability to answer an awful lot of questions was an equally, and certainly longer lived (ie; I have NO regrets) strike 2.

if you are going to release an item that is going to stimulate so many user questions right before the biggest buying/gift giving season of the year, you'd best have ALL of your ducks in a row. especially those information ducks. they need to be standing tall and perfectly spit and polished
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:12 PM   #29
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
they sure are stepping all over it with golf cleats. even though the "frenzied" christmas shopping doesn't get off for another couple of weeks many buying decisions have already been made. especially those that are higher ticket items. I am a Kindle I owner giving a Kindle II to an older relative for christmas. I came >.< close to getting the Nook... simply to expand our e-reading horizons (I have very few Kindle complaints). the "sharing" preverication was strike one against the Nook being gifted. the inability to answer an awful lot of questions was an equally, and certainly longer lived (ie; I have NO regrets) strike 2.

if you are going to release an item that is going to stimulate so many user questions right before the biggest buying/gift giving season of the year, you'd best have ALL of your ducks in a row. especially those information ducks. they need to be standing tall and perfectly spit and polished
I've gotten the feeling that they are rushing it out the door for the holiday shopping season and were not nearly as ready as they should have been. The bait and switch tactics on lending ebooks would have been reason enough for me to take a pass, but the way their own folks seem to have no real working knowledge of the device should be enough to make most folks want to take a step back and wait till someone has actually seen and handled the device and can comment intelligently about it's relative merits. Especially in light of the fairly steep restocking fees.
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:38 PM   #30
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I think all y'all oughta' cancel.

Then maybe mine will arrive sooner!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote