Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-28-2009, 04:21 PM   #16
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Y2K I was standing on Times Square hoping for something interesting to happen. It didn't.
nothing happened in paris either, except my friend's portable telephone was stolen from a party and we had to go to the police station at 3 in the morning to make a report. it wasn't very interesting.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:23 PM   #17
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Can you remember having to get up and shiver in the morning until you could get a fire going in the fireplace?

Can you remember when they programs on the radio that the family listened to?

Can you remember when you took a bath, only every Sat. night, whether you needed it or not & had to go out to the well to draw the water?

Can you remember having to go outside to get to the bathroom (outhouse)?

Can you remember eating supper by the light of a coaloil lamp?
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2009, 06:39 PM   #18
jes1
Zealot
jes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enough

Device: Astak EZReader, Dell Axim x50v, iPod Touch, nook
I spent Y2K at work praying all our equipment kept working, since I was supposed to get off work at midnight. I did not want to have to stay late to deal with any problems. Got lucky when my supervisor let me off 30 minutes early so I could ring in the new year with my family.
jes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:10 PM   #19
Jaime_Astorga
Member Retired
Jaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS-350-SC: Sony Reader Pocket Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peverel View Post
Ah yes and I remember when operating systems were screens with green text and no grpahics...... sweet days
I remember the first computer we had (well, we may have had others before I was born but that's the first one I saw) was only yellow text. I think it was MS-DOS. It had some games though, they were fun.

Then we got a multicolored computer with MS-DOS, and there were cool games like Prince of Persia and the like. Then there was Windows 3.11, and get this, the computer booted into DOS and you had to access Windows using DOS if you wanted it.

Man, those were the days. And to think I am only 19.
Jaime_Astorga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:11 PM   #20
Peverel
Still Easily Confused
Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Do you remember when that guy Moses came down off that mountain with those 3 tablets of stone with those 15 commandments on them and those kids knocked one right out of his hands..........
Peverel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2009, 10:05 PM   #21
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I remember when the bread shops called a palmier a "French pastry". I don't know what they called any of the other French pastries in the store, because I only ever wanted a palmier.
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:12 PM   #22
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Heh... Looking in my wallet today, I remembered when US currency was only one color.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:16 PM   #23
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I remember laughing at all the jokes I didn't get on Are You Being Served? and The Benny Hill Show.
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:18 PM   #24
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Those cordless phones with antennas you had to pull out.
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:30 PM   #25
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
The milkman delivering milk, with the cream on top, every morning with his horse drawn cart.

The breadman delivering fresh bread and pastries to the door every other day.

The eggman delivering fresh eggs to the door every week.

The iceman hauling ice down your road who you'd give a wave if you needed ice for the icebox.

The tinker who would wander the streets to fix your pots and sharpen your knives.

The GP who would visit your home when you were sick.

Going to Grandma's house for a 2 week holiday, coming home to find a new baby brother or sister.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:34 PM   #26
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
The milkman delivering milk, with the cream on top, every morning with his horse drawn cart.
You know the milkman still exists in some cities. Albeit they don't ride in horse drawn carts anymore.

Last edited by Dylrob; 07-28-2009 at 11:39 PM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:27 AM   #27
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I remember penny (1 cent US) postcards, three cent letters and six cent airmail. The airmail used extra skinny paper so it would weigh less.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:30 AM   #28
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I remember Howdy Doody, the Mousekateers (I was in love with Annette), and Captain Kangaroo.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:35 AM   #29
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Do you remember Husker du?
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:42 AM   #30
wodin
Illiterate

I remember Outhouses, pumping drinking water from a well and carrying it to the kitchen in a bucket for cooking and drinking. And heating bath water on a wood burning stove.

If you were REALLY fancy, you had a hot water well in your stove that kept the water hot all the time and humidified the air in the house at the same time. If you didn't have one of those you had to keep a tea kettle on all the time or in winter your nose and eyes would dry out and be unconformable. And of course the pot bellied stove in the living room to heat the rest of the house.

The bedrooms were always upstairs, and the only heat up there was what rose through the floor grates from downstairs. You stayed warm at night by piling a half a dozen hand sewn quilts on, and in the morning when you hit the floor, you had to run downstairs to the stove to keep you feet from freezing.