Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-10-2009, 12:56 AM   #46
jes1
Zealot
jes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enough

Device: Astak EZReader, Dell Axim x50v, iPod Touch, nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
The main question is:

Will I ever see support for my Amiga?
I have to say, I have fond memories of my Amiga. I had the coolest art and music programs for it.
jes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:46 AM   #47
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
The main question is:

Will I ever see support for my Amiga?
I know what you mean! Support for AmigaOS 4 needed, stat!
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2009, 06:08 PM   #48
Marinerrr
Marinerrr began at the beginning.

Device: [Newest to oldest] Sony PRS-505, iPhone (Stanza), Treo 90, Newton 2100
[QUOTE=bsandersen;514999]I've been booting parallels to run Sony's goofy software on my MacBook Pro. [QUOTE]

Calibre!!! That's the best Mac solution. I boot into VM ware to run the tool for firmware updates, but that's it. Everything else is better in Calibre.

IMHO.
Marinerrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:53 PM   #49
morpheus
Aio, quantitas magna frum
morpheus began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Will Sony add some basic metadata editing tools to their Reader software? I still love my PRS500 despite lack of ePub but the Sony Reader software has always been the Achilles heel. It's just an ugly, clunky app.

And as for Sony supporting Linux - I wouldn't hold my breath. I can't think of any major consumer electronics companies supporting desktop Linux applications, for good reason. Sony has limited development resources. The Linux installed base on the desktop is too small (~1%), and even that installed base is highly fragmented. The moment they support one flavor of Linux (say Ubuntu), they'll be asked for Debian, Red Hat, Suse etc. Linux is a no-win situation for Sony...and this is coming from someone who uses Linux every day.
morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:03 PM   #50
bsandersen
Nerd
bsandersen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300,505, Kindle 2, iPad
My comments: clarified (hopefully)

[QUOTE=Marinerrr;518061][QUOTE=bsandersen;514999]I've been booting parallels to run Sony's goofy software on my MacBook Pro.
Quote:

Calibre!!! That's the best Mac solution. I boot into VM ware to run the tool for firmware updates, but that's it. Everything else is better in Calibre.

IMHO.
Brevity is good but my post was evidently too brief. Let me try again.

Calibre is great. I have contributed to the author and have used it for both my Sony and Kindle. Kudos to developer. However, one must still use Sony's goofy software to purchase any books from their store or snag those 100 free books bundled with the reader. Calibre is not an alternative for that purpose.

I stand corrected on the "most expensive thumb drive" comment. Whoa. There are some crazy/rich people out there. My point, however, was that one could purchase something from the Amazon store using only a simple browser, download it, and shuffle it to the reader. The necessity of the computer was simply to act as a conduit first from the store and then to the device. If you purchase a book while traveling overseas (as I did when in London) then this model is the alternative to the straightforward Whispernet delivery. Sony's goofy software is always required for the Sony reader; no such goofy software is necessary in the Amazon world.

The Kindle model does not demand that a user even own a computer. I thought that was "an interesting if only marginally useful" concept until I met a gentleman waiting for a flight in Heathrow. He was a doctor who works in the Boston area who gets the daily paper delivered to his Kindle, reads books on it, and, according to him, he has never connected it to a computer in the year he has owned it. It wasn't that he was an unsophisticated user; he just didn't see the need. That's the difference between the Sony user experience model and Amazons: the necessity of goofy proprietary software and a computer, or the lack of need for same.

The question shouldn't be, "why doesn't this work with my Amiga?" (or whatever platform you enjoy). The question should be, "why should it have to work with _any_ computer?" Or, why can't the model be so it works as a storage device available to _any_ computer capable of mounting a USB storage device. [By the way, what is the "Guru Meditation Code" for a bad connection to a Kindle on an Amiga? Only Amiga fans can answer...]

The thing is: I still really like the Sony hardware. I have also collected a bunch of LRFs of things I'd like to read. But, as a matter of practice, the Kindle user model is more satisfying (and the books generally cheaper--a rant for another time). Not treating Macintosh users as second class citizens is a big step forward but I will wait and see the extent of the user experience improvements for Mac users before I again recommend the reader to my Macintosh-using friends.

-- Scott
bsandersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2009, 02:07 AM   #51
akwant
closed
akwant has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.akwant has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.akwant has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: ---
excellent news, I like calibre, but I need and want to bookmark pages in the books and that's why I use Sony software.
I too hope, ADE will recognise the reader now and firmware updates will be possible.
akwant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 05:39 AM   #52
lkodk
Connoisseur
lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: PRS-505 + PRS-600 + PRS-T1 + Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by akwant View Post
but I need and want to bookmark pages in the books and that's why I use Sony software.
I do not understand this. Why would you need the Sony software to make bookmarks?
I do not use the Sony software and I'm able to create bookmarks on my 505.
Or is there some advanced bookmark features that I'm not aware of?
lkodk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 06:08 AM   #53
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
You can directly add bookmarks and back them up in the Sony e-reader software itself. I don't think it's a really crucial feature though.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 06:14 AM   #54
lkodk
Connoisseur
lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: PRS-505 + PRS-600 + PRS-T1 + Kobo Glo
Ahh. Thanks for clarifying
lkodk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 08:08 AM   #55
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by morpheus View Post
I can't think of any major consumer electronics companies supporting desktop Linux applications, for good reason.
Samsung supplies its printers with a driver for Linux. Works very well.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 08:21 AM   #56
akwant
closed
akwant has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.akwant has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.akwant has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: ---
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkodk View Post
I do not understand this. Why would you need the Sony software to make bookmarks?
I do not use the Sony software and I'm able to create bookmarks on my 505.
Or is there some advanced bookmark features that I'm not aware of?
I bookmark the pages of course with the reader, but the Sony software backups these in the PC Library. So in case I lose them on the reader I've got them with the library books and can sync them to the reader again.
akwant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:52 AM   #57
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
why register here so you can post this kind of link?
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:03 AM   #58
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
why register here so you can post this kind of link?
psst... spam. sorted now.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:07 AM   #59
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
psst... spam. sorted now.
garsh, you're swell!
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:13 AM   #60
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
garsh, you're swell!
Next time you might want to use that little exclamation point next to the "Karma" button to report the spam to moderators. I clicked that and the post got deleted very, VERY fast.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mac, software, sony