Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-21-2009, 02:06 PM   #121
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You have to be in the right "mindset" to read the Simarillion. If you read it expecting an "action" story like LOTR then I agree, you're in for a big disappointment. If you regard it, rather like the Old Testament, as being "background history" told in a rather "biblical" style, then it can be very enjoyable, taken in small doses. Certainly not a book to sit down and read from cover to cover.
Agree with you.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 03:00 AM   #122
reso
reso began at the beginning.

Device: none
War and peace. I've tried to get into that a few times, but always give up at around page 50, I hear it gets really good after the first few hundred pages though, so I might pick it up again one day
reso is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2009, 04:16 AM   #123
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by reso View Post
War and peace. I've tried to get into that a few times, but always give up at around page 50, I hear it gets really good after the first few hundred pages though, so I might pick it up again one day
Provided you can keep track of who's who amongst the literally hundreds of characters, many of whom have very similar names. My printed edition of it comes with a handy bookmark which has all the "family trees" printed on it!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:21 AM   #124
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
If you're struggling with a foreign classic, I think it's worth trying different translations (assuming you're not reading in the original language) - it can make a big difference.
Personally, I struggle with the PD translations from Russian by Constance Garnett; although a lot of people swear by them.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:40 AM   #125
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I found The Silmarillion quite palatable if one approaches the work as a Creation Myth.

Don
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2009, 11:53 AM   #126
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I found The Silmarillion quite palatable if one approaches the work as a Creation Myth.
Yes, I agree. That's why I compared it with the Old Testament.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 02:31 AM   #127
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Moby Dick. I quit when I got the chapter titled "The Whiteness of the Whale."
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:58 AM   #128
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
I just can't get through 'Accelerando' by Charles Stross at this moment.
Not that it's boring; there is far too much happening to be boring....
But boy this is real hard-core Sci-Fi. Not the military 'let's built us a galactic empire'-style, but the changes are so rapidly (hence the title :-) ) that it's just hard to keep up.
But I won't put it down, No I will prevail

Maybe a little , but then again, when you see a boring book as a book you can't get through......

Oh and as an afterthought. I completely agree about the silmarillion, I see that one as Tolkiens own effort to create a bible.

Last edited by ErwinOtten; 03-27-2009 at 03:01 AM.
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:09 AM   #129
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErwinOtten View Post
I just can't get through 'Accelerando' by Charles Stross at this moment.
Skip the first chapter. If that doesn't help, skip the second chapter. The rest of the novel is more conventionally written.

The first part of the novel is also a short story. I think Charles wrote it when he was in one of his experimental moods. The pacing is intended to convey the speed at which the main character receives new info; you are supposed to be overwhelmed. I was; it's an interesting experience.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:12 PM   #130
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Skip the first chapter. If that doesn't help, skip the second chapter. The rest of the novel is more conventionally written.

The first part of the novel is also a short story. I think Charles wrote it when he was in one of his experimental moods. The pacing is intended to convey the speed at which the main character receives new info; you are supposed to be overwhelmed. I was; it's an interesting experience.
Thanks for the advice. I'm in chapter 6 now so skipping 1 and 2 won't help anymore though
It certainly is an interesting experience, but the Cheshire Cat keeps me thinking I'm reading Alice in Wonderland
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:28 PM   #131
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, I agree. That's why I compared it with the Old Testament.
Yup. Part of it (the Ainulindalë, 'Song of the Ainur') is just that, a creation myth. Tolkien was writing a mythology, not fantasy as such. The comparison with the Old Testament is quite apt; that's exactly what it was supposed to be in Tolkiens Middle-Earth universe.

Can you guess I love the Silmarillion?
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:36 PM   #132
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
Moby Dick. I quit when I got the chapter titled "The Whiteness of the Whale."
Very wise.
I staggered on, and regret it .
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 04:15 PM   #133
RWJ
Zealot
RWJ doesn't litterRWJ doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
A book can be very good but also mostly boring. And a book can be very bad but not boring.
Oh yes! Dan Brown novels fill this niche for me. They're execrable on a number of levels, but at the cottage a few years ago I went through all of his novels. They're amusing, but the prose is hammy and purple, the characters two dimensional when not one dimensional, the history is ghastly, and the basic premise is usually ridiculous. Terrible, but oddly not at all boring.
RWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 04:51 PM   #134
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWJ View Post
Oh yes! Dan Brown novels fill this niche for me. They're execrable on a number of levels, but at the cottage a few years ago I went through all of his novels. They're amusing, but the prose is hammy and purple, the characters two dimensional when not one dimensional, the history is ghastly, and the basic premise is usually ridiculous. Terrible, but oddly not at all boring.
Can we be friends?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:08 AM   #135
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I liked to The Da Vinci Code.
Especially I enjoyed reading illustrated edition.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote