Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-27-2005, 06:29 AM   #1
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
NYT article: audio books gaining acceptance

Loud, Proud, Unabridged: It Is Too Reading!

Quote:
JIM HARRIS, a lifelong bookworm, cracked the covers of only four books last year. But he listened to 54, all unabridged. He listened to Harry Potter and "Moby-Dick," Don DeLillo and Stephen King. He listened in the car, eating lunch, doing the dishes, sitting in doctors' offices and climbing the stairs at work.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 12:58 PM   #2
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
I think that the emergence of portable music players has hastened the want for content. Sure, cassette players were all the rage, but carrying cassettes is too bulky. With digital content people can move it easier and carry more. And the eMarket model for purchasing digital content has made acquiring more content absolutely sinchy.

Now that people can take their content everywhere, why not listen to whatever whenever? I think audiobooks (and spoken word podcasts) will emerge as the killer app. to the masses in the years to come. Several barriers to entry are being forded, like hardware prices and access to computers and the internet, and the masses are responding.

I think that those of us who recognize the needs of the masses before they do will ride out this next wave of technology in style.
POL9A
Pride Of Lions is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2009, 06:40 PM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I know someone who listens to more audiobooks than he reads.

Not for me though, audiobooks make me sleepy.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:34 AM   #4
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I do both. Not sure if I listen to more books or read more. I like listening during my commute and when doing housework. When I'm just sitting and relaxing, I prefer to read.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:34 AM   #5
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Not for me though, audiobooks make me sleepy.
Audiobooks are good for data entry jobs... I never had an interest in Star Trek books til the early 90's when I was doing data entry and had access to alot of ST audiobooks... I'm still happy I got the back history on Troi and Riker's relationship..

One thing I can say though is the person(s) reading the book make a huge difference in the sleepiness factor. For instance I relistened to Douglas Adams reading the Hitchhiker's trilogy multiple times, but never got past the first chapter in Catch-22 because of the reader.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2009, 09:44 AM   #6
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
I too listen to as many audio books on my iPod as I read on my Kindle. It's my treat while doing chores, excercising and driving long distances. Interestingly, U.S. libraries are also finally starting to carry a few MP3 audio titles (for iPod) for online checkout. Since I often have to get into the que to check them out, I suspect they're quite popular.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote