Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-31-2008, 07:36 AM   #1
SonyFan
Words Are Truth!
SonyFan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
Thumbs down I want to listen to Audio Books on my PRS-700 - Audible Problem!

Hello, All - Just downloaded a 'Talking Book' from Audible.com - 'The Oxford Murders' (This is not available as an e-book, anywhere I can find!) - Their books are in.aa format, and are not recognized by any Sony machine (quote from their website- but I only discovered this AFTER I had downloaded!) - Once again, this is all to do with DRM issues.
It requires to be converted to .mp3, to be able to be read on the reader - Yes, you can listen to it via PC, or an Apple device (which reads .aa files!)

So, I'm after something to convert .aa to mp3 - Any ideas? - What a situation - I just want to listen, (or read) content on a commercially available machine (Sony PRS-700) that I have bought and paid for!

Rergards,
SonyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:53 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Audible DRM has not, to my knowledge, been "cracked".

Sorry, but it really is your responsibility to check whether or not a format is supported by your device before buying it.

If you don't have an iPod, you can always, as you say, listen to it on your PC.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2008, 11:11 AM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyFan View Post
So, I'm after something to convert .aa to mp3 - Any ideas? - What a situation - I just want to listen, (or read) content on a commercially available machine (Sony PRS-700) that I have bought and paid for!

Rergards,
Sort of. You can burn your audible book to CD... then RIP the CD back to MP3 files. This is how we get books onto my wife's Toshiba Gigabeat S which does not support the .aa file/DRM format.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:12 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you don't have an iPod, you can always, as you say, listen to it on your PC.
Also, there are many other devices that can support audible books. PDAs, GPSs, etc.

BOb
Old 12-31-2008, 05:04 PM   #5
Server
Anti-Narcissist
Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SØNY6
if it can be heard and played via pc then you can rip or stream-rip with
any application that records real time. Don't even bother with DRM (if any)
There are many many (see google) audio rippers out there that will do just
the job you want.
Server is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2008, 05:18 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Server View Post
if it can be heard and played via pc then you can rip or stream-rip with
any application that records real time. Don't even bother with DRM (if any)
There are many many (see google) audio rippers out there that will do just
the job you want.
You don't even need to worry about that. Audible ALLOWs you to burn the book to CD.

You don't need anything that exploits the analog hole at all. This will result in a lower quality anyway.

BOb
Old 01-02-2009, 07:10 PM   #7
zergling
zergling began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
You don't even need to worry about that. Audible ALLOWs you to burn the book to CD.

You don't need anything that exploits the analog hole at all. This will result in a lower quality anyway.

BOb
Be advised though that you have a fixed number of burns - two or three I think - per book. I didn't realize this until I tried to burn a book for my son after he kept misplacing the CDs. Customer support was kind enough to give me an extra burn and a friendly warning!
zergling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:09 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zergling View Post
Be advised though that you have a fixed number of burns - two or three I think - per book.
Once you burn the CD and you rip it back to MP3 which is now DRM free.

BOb
Old 01-03-2009, 08:51 PM   #9
Server
Anti-Narcissist
Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SØNY6
skip a few steps...

Quote:
Once you burn the CD and you rip it back to MP3 which is now DRM free.

BOb
burn, then rip and re-rip etc. Why not just stream-rip in one simple
step? no fuss no muss?

Sound quality is negligable since (in this case) its audible text anyways.

Server is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:18 AM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Server View Post
burn, then rip and re-rip etc. Why not just stream-rip in one simple
step? no fuss no muss?
Um... there is no "re-rip" needed.

If I understand correctly stream-rep as you call it takes real time. Where burn/rip does not. If I wanted to stream-rip a 30hour audible book, it would take, well 30 hours. Probably takes about 15 minutes doing a burn then a rip.

Plus, once you burn it to CD you have an archivial BU, so if you ever loose the MP3 version of it you can just rip the CDs again.

BOb
Old 01-04-2009, 03:41 AM   #11
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Um... there is no "re-rip" needed.

If I understand correctly stream-rep as you call it takes real time. Where burn/rip does not. If I wanted to stream-rip a 30hour audible book, it would take, well 30 hours. Probably takes about 15 minutes doing a burn then a rip.

Plus, once you burn it to CD you have an archivial BU, so if you ever loose the MP3 version of it you can just rip the CDs again.

BOb
but then wouldnt you need 20 Cds to do 30 hours of Audiobooks?
unless it burns it to the CD as mp3, which is just kinda weird. which is cool, but weird that it would allow you to do that.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:09 AM   #12
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
unless it burns it to the CD as mp3, which is just kinda weird. which is cool, but weird that it would allow you to do that.
Of that is the case I assume you can always burn on virtual CDs (data is save on hard drive). There is a well know program whose name I have forgotten which let you do that.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:55 AM   #13
Kurashi
Kurashi began at the beginning.

Seems like NoteBurner or Virtual CD might do the trick, both include virtual cd burners so you don't have to waste a disc, though I think NoteBurner will automatically convert your audio after that in order to save you a step.

Haven't tried either of them, that's just what I found.
Kurashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 03:49 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
Yes... it will take multiple CDs. I think a CD can hold about 90minutes of audio. But, most books are 5-7 hours... so usually 3-5 CDs per book. Yes, there are exceptions.

The best bet of course is to have a device that supports the .aa format. There are a plethora of them. Several that you can get for under $50.

BOb
Old 01-04-2009, 05:30 PM   #15
zergling
zergling began at the beginning.

Would be nice if the 700 supported Audible. Nicer still if the ebook could stay in sync with the audible book so I wouldn't have to put down that thriller to do chores, drive, etc. Maybe some day.... switching between spoken and print will be possible.

Last edited by zergling; 01-04-2009 at 05:32 PM.
zergling is offline   Reply With Quote