Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 01-30-2007, 10:58 AM   #1
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Mountable Sony Reader Filesystem

This took a bit longer than I expected but I've finally gotten this project to the point where I feel comfortable I can go public with it. And reveal just what the heck has been sucking down all my time recently.

I've developed a mountable Sony Reader Filesystem.

What the heck is that you ask? Well rather than an application such as the wonderful libprs500 or the Connect application supplied by Sony this piece of code isn't an application.

You insert a SD card and the operating system uses some code to read the contents of that SD card and present the contents as files and folders. This piece of software does the same task, but for the Sony Reader.

You can then use your favorite tools to explore and modify the contents of your Sony Reader. On the Mac you can use Finder or Terminal. If you are writing an application to bind ebooks or RSS feeds onto the Sony you can write the data to the Sony Reader as if it were a regular collection of files and folders on the computer itself. For example, you can have Word 2004 export an RTF file directly to the Sony Reader.

The code is written using FUSE and libusb. This allows the same code base to work on Mac, Linux and FreeBSD. There is no Windows version, but heck: you've got Sony's CONNECT software on Windows right, you don't need this.

First release is for the Mac. You will need Mac Fuse from Google: http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/ and libusb: http://www.ellert.se/PKGS/libusb-0.1...usb.pkg.tar.gz.

Code later today.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 11:04 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Such a tease!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2007, 12:03 PM   #3
griffbrad
griffbrad began at the beginning.

So, does this transparently convert folders in the FUSE filesystem to "collections" on the reader. If so, that totally rocks. Otherwise, this is still very nice. Thanks.

Last edited by griffbrad; 01-30-2007 at 12:06 PM.
griffbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:25 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Nice. I had planned on doing this at some point, but the fuse python bindings aren't stable enough. Incidentally, there is another project to do this at http://code.google.com/p/prs500fs/
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:58 AM   #5
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Source, please! This sounds like a lovely tool to have available.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2007, 10:57 AM   #6
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
Interesting. I look forward to trying it out.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:19 PM   #7
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Oooh, this sounds promising. I can't wait to try this!

Last edited by tsgreer; 05-23-2007 at 07:34 PM.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:28 PM   #8
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Cool

I had developed a tremendous amount of diagnostic cruft as I slugged it out with the FUSE/libusb (each had their own unique pound of flesh to collect) and removing it all took a bit more time than I expected. My apologies.

This is a Mac OS X 10.4.8 Intel executable. PPC/Installer etc in the future.

You can look, you can read, no writes yet.

You need to have the Google port of FUSE installed and the libusb as linked in the first post in this thread.

Example of using it in Terminal, with Sony Reader plugged in...
Code:
mkdir MySonyReader
readerfs MySonyReader
ls MySonyReader
umount MySonyReader
If you get an error about not able to find something, remember you need /usr/local/bin in your PATH to get at FUSE.

I've got a start on a Mac OS X GUI listener application that will listen for the Sony Reader being attached/deetached and bring the filesystem up and down automatically.

I'm working on the bug about ls'ing the dev/fd/10 directory on the Sony Reader. For now I suggest being careful of the /dev directory, ls'ing in there causes the Reader to crash.

If you crash the Reader just umount and then re-run the readerfs after the Sony recovers.
Attached Files
File Type: zip readerfs.zip (3.9 KB, 625 views)
Old 02-01-2007, 04:11 AM   #9
basil_555
basil_555 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Is there is a way to modify this program in such a way, that it would allow us to use costom fonts in Reader?
basil_555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 05:07 AM   #10
scotty1024
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by basil_555
Is there is a way to modify this program in such a way, that it would allow us to use costom fonts in Reader?
Doubtful.

I'm pretty sure that will be something someone will have to handle when creating a user friendly Mac/Linux re-flash tool.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:36 AM   #11
VladSukhoy
VladSukhoy began at the beginning.

Device: /Reader/
Hi, I'm the person behind http://code.google.com/p/prs500fs/ ..
It looks like this is exactly the thing I'm doing (and I was targeting Mac as a first release platform too). Although due to the lack of time I'm still in the "tools" stage - just finished libusb C++ wrappers by today - wanted to start coding prs protocol tomorrow evening.
Any chance to see the source code of scotty1024 filesystem? =)
If so, then perhaps http://code.google.com/p/prs500fs/ is not needed at all..
If not, then we could still benefit by sharing bugs information etc.

Last edited by VladSukhoy; 02-05-2007 at 01:46 AM.
VladSukhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:56 AM   #12
scotty1024
Banned

Mine is written in C, not C++ and utilizes all my knowledge and 21 years experience in writing portable cross Unix platform code.

I've got the PRS writing protocol code mostly working, a couple more details to iron out and then I'll be posting a new Mac version that can write the Sony.

Source will follow after I get Linux up (my first cut for Debian looks promising).
Old 02-05-2007, 02:10 AM   #13
VladSukhoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
Mine is written in C, not C++ and utilizes all my knowledge and 21 years experience in writing portable cross Unix platform code.
Sounds cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
Source will follow after I get Linux up (my first cut for Debian looks promising).
Any approximate timeline available? I.e. I would like to see the sources before shutting down my project.
By the way I incorporated libusb sources directly into the build - i.e. no need for it to be installed, just FUSE. One dependency less for the end-user...

Last edited by VladSukhoy; 02-05-2007 at 02:44 AM.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:49 AM   #14
scotty1024
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladSukhoy
Any approximate timeline available? I.e. I would like to see the sources before shutting down my project.
By the way I incorporated libusb sources directly into the build - i.e. no need for it to be installed, just FUSE. One dependency less for the end-user...
My intent is to produce a portable code base that leverages existing cross platform code. I had originally been working in Objective C producing a Native Mac OS X filesystem when I found Google Mac FUSE via Digg. I figured it was worth it to abandon the native filesystem and gain the portability to other platforms.

I expect to have Mac and Linux done in the next two weeks.

Then comes a Mac GUI App for monitoring inserts/removals to plug/unplug the filesystem and a .deb for Debian. Then a packaged installer with the ability to install Mac FUSE/libusb for the user (for Mac).
Old 02-05-2007, 12:18 PM   #15
VladSukhoy

Ok.
My plan was to produce working MacOS binary by the end of this week which would include:
* full filesystem operations implemented and tested.
* multiple reader support (in theory, though, since I have just one) - the readers show as different directories in the filesystem root.
* support for main memory, memory stick and SD (being subdirectories of each individual reader directory - I don't have memory stick around though)

Also my intent was to use idle thread within the filesystem binary and/or on-demand mapping rather than a separate listener application. This way the user would "just" mount the filesystem once (perhaps in one of the startup scripts available) and it would handle reader(s) connecting unconnecting on its own.

I guess I'll stick around for some time.