Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-20-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
entodoays
Zealot
entodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1
Problems with Sony PRS-T1 dictionary on epubs created by Calibre

I'm having problems with my PRS-T1 running the latest firmware (1.0.05). After a series of diagnostic steps I suspect the problem lies with epubs created by Calibre.

The problem is that when I'm reading such an epub many times (not always but 3/4 of the time), when I tap a word on the PRS-T1 to open it's dictionary definition, the definition doesn't appear. Even more frequently, the moment I try to change the dictionary, the unit becomes unresponsive when selecting the dictionary I want to use.

I've attached one such file in the original html format and the epub created by Calibre. This problem started a few months ago. I cannot tell exactly when, maybe in September but I'm not sure. Maybe there has been some change in the way Calibre creates epubs which is causing this issue because I've been using Calibre regularly for almost a year without a hitch.

I'm using the standard settings for the output profile "Sony Reader". Is there any modification you recommend that may solve this issue?

I'm ready to try out different things (reduce file size to less than 260 kb, use the "flatten structure" feature recommended for FBReader, etc), but there are so many options that a little help indicating what is likely to work would be appreciated.
entodoays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:56 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If your reader is malfunctioning, why do you suspect calibre? Intermittent failures are almost always hardware related. I know of nothing in an epub that could cause the symptoms you describe.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2013, 08:42 AM   #3
entodoays
Zealot
entodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1
Sorry for wrongly suspecting calibre. It was a problem with the Reader. The solution is found here.

Keep up the excellent work Kovid.
entodoays is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub conversion, sony prs t1