Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 06-25-2016, 05:07 AM   #1
umeshg
Connoisseur
umeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Sony DPTS-1
Improving the quality of my PDF Files

I am studying for some law exams and I want to be able to read the PDF files that I have downloaded from my course provider on my Kindle and 13.3 reader (still deciding which one to buy)

The quality (sharpness) of the pdf on my Kindle is not that good

Can anyone please suggest how I can improve the PDF quality

Many thanks

UG
umeshg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:46 AM   #2
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by umeshg View Post
I am studying for some law exams and I want to be able to read the PDF files that I have downloaded from my course provider on my Kindle and 13.3 reader (still deciding which one to buy)

The quality (sharpness) of the pdf on my Kindle is not that good

Can anyone please suggest how I can improve the PDF quality
It depends on whether the quality/sharpness is due to the PDF itself or due to some way the Kindle is processing it. Can you post an example PDF file or some pages from it and/or a screen shot of how it looks on your kindle? Are the PDFs scanned, or are they computer generated? Is the text too small for you to read, or is it simply blurry/not sharp enough?
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 05:32 AM   #3
umeshg
Connoisseur
umeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Thank you for your reply

I have attached the PDF file on my Kindle

The PDF are computer generated and the text is not that sharp. I have adjusted all Kindle setting but not much difference

Can I use a software to improve the quality of the PDF file or it's not possible

Thank you

Last edited by umeshg; 06-27-2016 at 01:31 AM.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:45 PM   #4
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's still hard to tell exactly what your issue is. Your attached image is so blurry that it doesn't help much. If you don't want to attach the PDF file, can you send it to me via private message? I can likely show you some options using k2pdfopt that will improve the readability on your kindle. Which Kindle model do you have?
Old 06-27-2016, 01:39 AM   #5
umeshg
Connoisseur

Hi Willus

Thank you for your reply

Sorry PDF file now attached

Thank you

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-19-2016 at 08:55 AM.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:07 PM   #6
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by umeshg View Post
Hi Willus

Thank you for your reply

Sorry PDF file now attached

Thank you
For this file, if you download and run the MS Windows version of k2pdfopt:
0. Select the PDF file using the "Add File" button.
1. Click "Restore Defaults"
2. Select device "Kindle Paperwhite 3" or whatever matches your kindle
3. Activate the first "Crop Area" by checking the checkbox under "Active"
4. Put an 'o' (as in odd) in the "Page Range" for that crop area.
5. Click the "Select" button for that crop area.
6. Rubberband just the text part of the odd pages and then click "Select Crop Region" (see attached image k2crop.png).
7. Repeat steps 3-6 but for the next crop area and using an 'e' for even pages.
8. Select "fit width" under the conversion mode.
9. Uncheck the "Output in landscape" check box. Your gui should look something like the k2gui.png attachment.
10. Click "Convert all files."
See my attached result. Is it easier to read on your kindle?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k2crop.png
Views:	622
Size:	343.0 KB
ID:	149742   Click image for larger version

Name:	k2gui.png
Views:	583
Size:	216.2 KB
ID:	149743  

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-19-2016 at 08:55 AM.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:48 AM   #7
umeshg
Connoisseur

Hello Willus

Thank you -It is much better when reading on my Kindle. I now need to ask someone to check the reading experience of the attachment on their 13.3 reader
I followed your instruction but the software crashe and stops working when I select convert

I will try on my Laptop later

Again many thanks -you have been very helpful
Old 09-19-2016, 08:56 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

Please note that the 'Fair Use' doctrine on copyright does NOT extend to a full 21 pages of a complete module.

The attachment, from two different members, has now been deleted.

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote