Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 09-13-2008, 12:19 AM   #1
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
New Ebw-1150 - looking for suggestions on utilities patches etc etc

Hello all,

Ive finally decided on getting a ebookwise 1150 reader.

Too many changes coming in the next 6 moths etc with all the epaper stuff and this reader will meet all my current needs untill the others stable out etc.

My question is, could I get a list of what you all would recommend as far as software to maintain my library / patches etc on my pc

Also what patchs / addon changes and such you would recommend I put onto the reader itself?

I would like to have all my books organized on my pc and be able to just connect to that to move stuff back and forth etc.

I would also like recommendations on conversion software, something to convert from other ebook formats to the bookwise, as ive seen a lot of the current releases might not be in the imp format.

Also, what ebook stores currently support the bookwise when makeing purchases.

Can Calibre handle all this? or should i go with some other software / proceedure? Ive only read a little about it as im fairly new to here.
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 01:50 AM   #2
derrell
Jack O' Apes
derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Nokia N810, EZ-Reader, HTC Droid Incredible, Archos 70
For the conversions the first thing you will need is the eBook Publisher from eti available here
http://www.ebooktechnologies.com/sup...r_download.htm

That will allow you to create imp format books. Once you have that you can start adding things like to mobi2imp, see the stickies in this forum for that one. It will let you convert mobi format to imp with a pretty good success rate. I just did all of the Honor Harrington books from Baen with it.

Also Calibre has tools that you can use things like mobi2oeb that will let you handle mobi files that mobi2imp might fail on. It will get you the html that can be used by eBook Publisher to create an imp file. I don't think Calibre can handle that directly but there were some posts about adding that into Calibre. You could also try Geb Librarian
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/GEB_Librarian
I've never used that one but a lot of people do.

Getting your books onto the ebw-1150 I would say use the impserve program created by ashkulz you can find it in the stickies of this forum as well. It works well letting you browse your books on your pc and load them to the reader. You can also use the smart media card with a card reader you get your imp books onto the reader without any need for extra software. Geb Librarian will also handle contecting your reader and pc.

I usually purchase books from fictionwise they have them in the correct format but I usually get either the lit or mobi version of the book that I want. Baen also has them in rb format but again I usually get those in html format and convert them unless I'm in a hurry then I'll download the mobi version of the books that I've purchased and do a quick conversion with mobi2imp.
derrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 04:36 AM   #3
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
.lit format

I have to agree, I buy from fictionwise most of the time. The multiformat option lets you download the correct format without any conversion, which is helpful!

When I am getting a drm'd book, I try to get a .lit one, they seem to convert the best for me. I have had trouble converting .mobi books, but that seems to be a issue with my machine and not one that most users have.

Congrats on your new reader! I really like mine! For the price it does it's job excellently!

Oh an even though they should give you the software with it, getting the ebookwise librarian software is worthwhile.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 02:10 PM   #4
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
New .imp software/utilities Wiki page

It may be time to have a wiki page set-up with all known .imp software and utilities listed in one convenient location . It should have short descriptions on their usefulness and links for further information.

I'll start this off, but feel free to add your favourite software, if it's not listed yet!

The wiki is located at IMP software

(p.s. maybe a .rb software page should also be started... )

Last edited by nrapallo; 09-13-2008 at 03:58 PM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 07:48 PM   #5
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

another quick question or two if I may:

Ill get the easy to answer one out of the way since im 99% sure of the answer any way.

Is the only format the 1150 can read the IMP format? If not what other formats can it read and or is there a firmware patch to enable other formats.
Pretty sure its imp only from the way people talk in these boards ( which is fine, just wanted to be sure)

and now the good one, how are the books organized on the 1150? does it have folders? or "collections" etc ? or is it just one big straight alph listing of all the books on the machine.

I get the impression that there could be directories, but not sure. Ive read that you could have up to 3 directories? 1) fictionwises purchases 2) ebookwise purchases 3) your own books

but can you organize those directories further, ie split them into more directories by authors etc?

PS - and one more ROFL sorry, what about books with a lot of graphics or PDFs that are graphic heavy? Im thinking about things like atlas's to book series etc ( things like the Atlas to middle earth or the Atlas to Pern were the the book is mostly maps or pictures of creatures etc )

Thank you,

I hope to have more questions answered when i actually have the unit in hand. Hoping to get it it Monday or Tuesday =-)

Last edited by askyn; 09-13-2008 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:05 PM   #6
derrell
Jack O' Apes
derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Nokia N810, EZ-Reader, HTC Droid Incredible, Archos 70
On the eb-1150 the books are organized on your book shelf by Category and can be sorted by title, author, book size, recent download and recently read.

The display of images depends on how you converted them to the size needed by the reader and what format they were in to begin with. I've attached some images that show the book shelf on the reader and also how it looks displaying images. The book At All Costs was converted from the original mobi using mobi2imp. I know the map could look better because it was downsized for the mobi file then brought up for the imp, but right now it really does look as bad as it does in the photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ebw-1150_cover.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	16263   Click image for larger version

Name:	ebw-1150_image.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	16264   Click image for larger version

Name:	ebw-1150_shelf.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	16265  
derrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 10:23 PM   #7
askyn
Addict

I want to thank you all very much for all the information and help that you are giving.

Would anyone be able to let me know of the differences between the two programs:

eBook Publisher and Geb Librarian ?

Ones free the other you have to pay for. Is the Librarian that much better / have more features that its worth paying the price for?

Last edited by askyn; 09-13-2008 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:03 AM   #8
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by askyn View Post
another quick question or two if I may:

Is the only format the 1150 can read the IMP format? If not what other formats can it read and or is there a firmware patch to enable other formats.
Pretty sure its imp only from the way people talk in these boards ( which is fine, just wanted to be sure)
As far as I know no patch has been released that will allow it to read anything other than .imp format.

If you have a book that is a txt doc, html or .oeb you can convert them over to .imp using your ebookwise librarian without much trouble.

I have not tried any graphics heavy books on my little librarian, without the color display *shrug* I don't really see a reason to.

Amy

PS - Anne McCaffreys Pern series is awesome! :-)
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 09:29 AM   #9
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1/REB 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by askyn View Post
I want to thank you all very much for all the information and help that you are giving.

Would anyone be able to let me know of the differences between the two programs:

eBook Publisher and Geb Librarian ?

Ones free the other you have to pay for. Is the Librarian that much better / have more features that its worth paying the price for?
GEB Librarian has actually two features: one is content creation, and the second is serving as a local bookshelf server. For #1, you might want to try ebook publisher or any one of the XXX -> IMP tools available in the forums. For #2, you can use ebookutils or linreb. In my opinion, you should evaluate whether you are comfortable with the tools [I wouldn't pay for the GEB Librarian, but that's just me ]
ashkulz is offline   Reply With Quote