Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-28-2011, 10:37 AM   #16
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I think holding down the power button makes it goes into Factory reset.
I know under Device there is an option to reset to factory defaults. According to the User Guide (page 16) resetting your Kindle Fire to its original factory settings removes all personal data, Amazon account information, downloaded content, and applications from your device.

The User Guide (page 5) says if your device becomes unresponsive during use, you can shut it down by pressing and holding the power button for 20 seconds. You can then press the power button to restart it.

I don't think these are the same. If they were the same disclaimer would be on page 5. Of course I haven't done either to know for sure. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Perhaps jocampo can shed some light on this.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:37 AM   #17
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
One thing I'm a bit disappointed in is the lack of clear, detailed documentation!
That's what we are for I mean the Kindle manuals have never been known for their details.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:44 AM   #18
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
I know under Device there is an option to reset to factory defaults. According to the User Guide (page 16) resetting your Kindle Fire to its original factory settings removes all personal data, Amazon account information, downloaded content, and applications from your device.

The User Guide (page 5) says if your device becomes unresponsive during use, you can shut it down by pressing and holding the power button for 20 seconds. You can then press the power button to restart it.

I don't think these are the same. If they were the same disclaimer would be on page 5. Of course I haven't done either to know for sure. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Perhaps jocampo can shed some light on this.
Correct. With Android the "Reset to Factory" is an option under Device.

Which is NOT true with the older non-android kindles.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:45 AM   #19
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's what we are for I mean the Kindle manuals have never been known for their details.
Yeah but anecdotal advice is just not the same as clear, detailed documentation.

Hey, here's a question, did the original kindle have a sound/audible click when turning pages?
I was asked this on another forum and have not heard (pun intended) of it.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:46 AM   #20
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post

You're right it does a hard reset.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:10 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
It could be a defective batch. Seeing both of you got yours from the same store. If it happens again contact Kindle support. First I would do a factory reset. Any app you install could be to blame as well. Just keep an eye on it.
I would not give it a chance to die again. I'd take it back and get it swapped for a new one.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:26 AM   #22
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
One thing I'm a bit disappointed in is the lack of clear, detailed documentation!
Yes indeed. I just pulled up my K4 manual and my KFire manual and my K3 manual to compare them. Here is the difference:
  • K3 manual has 120 pages
  • K4 manual has 21 pages
  • KF manual has 23 pages

The older manuals contained about 6 times the information of the new ones! I guess Amazon decided to cut back on documentation.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:46 AM   #23
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Yes indeed. I just pulled up my K4 manual and my KFire manual and my K3 manual to compare them. Here is the difference:
  • K3 manual has 120 pages
  • K4 manual has 21 pages
  • KF manual has 23 pages

The older manuals contained about 6 times the information of the new ones! I guess Amazon decided to cut back on documentation.
Saves money and trees.
Now the trend is all documentation, etc is electronic. Same for most new computers now, no hard copy manual or backup disk. They save money not printing or burning the disks.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:02 PM   #24
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyDisks View Post
Saves money and trees.
Now the trend is all documentation, etc is electronic. Same for most new computers now, no hard copy manual or backup disk. They save money not printing or burning the disks.
and apparently by not writing it in the first place!
Old 11-28-2011, 12:35 PM   #25
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
and apparently by not writing it in the first place!
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:02 PM   #26
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Ok folks, a few updates...

-I was charging or using the official charger
-It was about 30% or high 20s, when I stop using it and visted B&N lastnight.
-No weird stuff on it, only B&N app via apk, which SCION helped me to find (thanks SCION)

But things are getting more interesting now! ;-) ... I went to B&N during lunch time (really close to work) and bought a Nook Tablet. Now I have both at home. I really want to compare both and will keep the best.

Kindle Fire looks is working properly now, but agree with Jon. If I decide to keep the Fire, I will exchange it for sure, especially now that is still with Target in-store warranty period.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:02 PM   #27
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
And then there is that very real possibility.

S.F.F.O.A

(Squirrel freedom fighters of America)

DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:09 PM   #28
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post

-No weird stuff on it, only B&N app via apk, which SCION helped me to find (thanks SCION)

But things are getting more interesting now! ;-) ... I went to B&N during lunch time (really close to work) and bought a Nook Tablet. Now I have both at home. I really want to compare both and will keep the best.

Kindle Fire looks is working properly now, but agree with Jon. If I decide to keep the Fire, I will exchange it for sure, especially now that is still with Target in-store warranty period.
The thing about Android is when you get in the 20s percent you need to keep a close eye on it. It sounds like to me the battery died. If your gonna be away from it for a long time Turn WiFi off and don't leave apps running. Exit them and return to home.
You wont lose any battery while it's sleeping that way.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:12 PM   #29
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post

Not that it's any consolation, but I've had both my Kindle2 and Sony 505 do weird .. won't power up things .. when I thought they should be charged, but charging for several hours and resetting them has always got them going again.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:31 PM   #30
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
The thing about Android is when you get in the 20s percent you need to keep a close eye on it. It sounds like to me the battery died. If your gonna be away from it for a long time Turn WiFi off and don't leave apps running. Exit them and return to home.
You wont lose any battery while it's sleeping that way.

Hmmm, not really, should not die like that in less than 60 min. Or in other words, did the Fire used 30% of battery while sleeping? Then there is something wrong with it.

My Galaxy SII keeps 30% for a day or more if I dont touch it, and dies when is 6 or less.

Let's say there was a minor hardware or software issue but was not normal, that is for sure.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote