Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-17-2008, 12:55 PM   #1
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Orange launches "Read & Go"

Quote:
What is Read&Go? A new terminal combining the reading comfort of paper with the easy access and response of electronic media. With this new e-paper terminal, users can read and refresh five major French newspapers throughout the day: Le Monde, Le Parisien, Les Echos, L’Equipe and Télérama

Today, in partnership with five major French newspapers, Orange has launched the trial of Read&Go – the first 3G-connected mobile newspaper kiosk: a new digital terminal with e-paper technology, combining ease of use with a mobile terminal offering the read comfort of paper. Every morning, testers will be able to read news from Le Monde, Le Parisien, Les Echos, L’Equipe and Télérama, refreshed every hour with the latest information from their electronic editions.

For this innovation, Orange has specifically developed Wifi/3G coupled connectivity with a dedicated distribution platform, user interface and browsing capability. Read&Go has a storage capacity of 1 Gb – more than 200 newspapers – and also contains a e-library of thirty or so books (literature, strip cartoons, children's and practical publications, etc.) provided by Feedbooks, Médiatoon (Dargaud, Dupuis, Lombard et Kana) and Mango editions.

Orange and its partners will be running Read&Go trials with around 150 testers recruited from their audiences for a period of two months providing free, unlimited access. In particular, the trials will enable this new screen to be studied as regards use when reading information in mobile situations as well as the ergonomics of the offering and associated terminal...
Full press release: http://www.orange.com/en_EN/press/pr...ReadGo_ENG.pdf
Video (French): http://orange-innovation.tv/webtv/mo...ang/fr/play/1/

Disclaimer: I'm the co-founder of Feedbooks which is involved in this trial.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:56 PM   #2
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Is this just a standard iLiad rebranded, or does it have extra hardware? Anyway, if Orange decide to follow up the trials, it could be a Good Thing for us iLiad users.

Ah, April in Paris with free newspapers. *sigh* If only I spoke French...
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:58 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
thank you Hadrien for this info !! it looks great ! i have applied to be a beta-tester... so Hadrian, do you decide who is selected ? maybe i can i buy you a drink and we can talk about it ? only disappointment is my favorite newspaper (Libé) is not represented... but they say that if the experimentation is successful, they will expand the offer to other newspapers.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 02:11 PM   #4
huevos
Enthusiast
huevos began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by carandol View Post

huevos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:13 PM   #5
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
I just want a silver iLiad
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:22 PM   #6
gnuuurff
Enthusiast
gnuuurff doesn't littergnuuurff doesn't litter

Device: happy new owner of sony prs 505
Thumbs up great new!

it's a great new, hadrien!

i'm just signing to beta-testing this! i hope to be one of the lucky selected for the test.

zelda is right, it is possible to corrupt you for being selected?
gnuuurff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:42 PM   #7
electristan
newbie reader
electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: reMarkable, Boox T68, Kobo Mini, Nook STR, Sony PRS-505
thats really cool, hope this catches on all over the place. I didn't know the iLiad came with 3G. Thanks for the info
electristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:43 PM   #8
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by electristan View Post
thats really cool, hope this catches on all over the place. I didn't know the iLiad came with 3G. Thanks for the info
It's not built in. You'll need an external 3G USB Modem for it to work.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:59 PM   #9
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuuurff View Post
it's a great new, hadrien!

i'm just signing to beta-testing this! i hope to be one of the lucky selected for the test.

zelda is right, it is possible to corrupt you for being selected?
Well, I'd love a beer but I don't think that corrupting me will be helpful: I'm not in charge of the selection process at all.

But a trial is only successful if you select people with different profiles. There's very few "power-users" for e-paper devices in France: I'm sure that your opinion will be very useful in such a test. Unlike the rest of the population, you can compare the trial with another device.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 05:16 PM   #10
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
Well, I'd love a beer but I don't think that corrupting me will be helpful: I'm not in charge of the selection process at all.

But a trial is only successful if you select people with different profiles. There's very few "power-users" for e-paper devices in France: I'm sure that your opinion will be very useful in such a test. Unlike the rest of the population, you can compare the trial with another device.
i hope you are right, although they did not ask us in the questions if we already use an e-ink device...

i am not a "power-user" of e-ink (yet !!!), but i could compare with an eb-1150... and i am a "power-reader" and i'm already used to reading (the presse at least) on my computer, and books on my eb1150 and also i've tried on my telephone (it's ok for the métro). so i could be a novice *and* make informed comparison at the same time ! i'm sure not many people have such a versatile profile !
Old 04-17-2008, 05:19 PM   #11
electristan
newbie reader
electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: reMarkable, Boox T68, Kobo Mini, Nook STR, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
It's not built in. You'll need an external 3G USB Modem for it to work.
oh, well that is not as handy as i had though if one has to bring around a second gadget and plug it in. Still, glad to see it being released and i hope i does well
electristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 05:30 PM   #12
Mistralain
Zealot
Mistralain will become famous soon enoughMistralain will become famous soon enoughMistralain will become famous soon enoughMistralain will become famous soon enoughMistralain will become famous soon enoughMistralain will become famous soon enough

Device: Booken Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by carandol View Post
April in Niort (in the deep, very deep France...) with an Iliad could be fine too (with a protection against rain...) ! But it isn't a nice jazz standard
Mistralain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 05:55 PM   #13
msundman
Zealot
msundman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.msundman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.msundman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: FBReader on Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
Read&Go [...] contains a e-library of thirty or so books
Wow! 30! Can you imagine?! Those 30 practical children's cartoons would keep me busy for years and years!
msundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:00 PM   #14
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by msundman View Post
Wow! 30! Can you imagine?! Those 30 practical children's cartoons would keep me busy for years and years!
heh... well if i understand correctly it's only a trial of about 2 months or so... i really doubt they're going to give out Iliades to 150 people for free to keep *forever* (wouldn't it be nice though...). plus, of course, i think the main focus is the press. not to mention, i imagine there's probably some way to get your own books on there as well (but only if you read every single one of the 30 children's cartoons first !!).
Old 04-18-2008, 12:05 AM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
heh... well if i understand correctly it's only a trial of about 2 months or so... i really doubt they're going to give out Iliades to 150 people for free to keep *forever* (wouldn't it be nice though...). plus, of course, i think the main focus is the press. not to mention, i imagine there's probably some way to get your own books on there as well (but only if you read every single one of the 30 children's cartoons first !!).
Ok, I must have missed it. Where does it say this will be an iLiad?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote