Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-16-2010, 12:02 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Apple: Statement on iPhone 4 Pre-Orders

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...-96477614.html

Quote:
Yesterday Apple and its carrier partners took pre-orders for more than 600,000 of Apple's new iPhone 4. It was the largest number of pre-orders Apple has ever taken in a single day and was far higher than we anticipated, resulting in many order and approval system malfunctions. Many customers were turned away or abandoned the process in frustration. We apologize to everyone who encountered difficulties, and hope that they will try again or visit an Apple or carrier store once the iPhone 4 is in stock.
That's a lot of (black) iPhones.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:13 PM   #2
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
there are what, 50 something million out in the world. apple thought 600k would be enough for opening day?

wonder what they'll be going for on ebay.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2010, 12:16 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm surprised there's that must interest; it just doesn't seem like that much of an upgrade to the 3GS.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:34 PM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

faster processor, better screen, two cameras, higher quality camera on the back? significant enough for 600k at least. and remember, no one says all those people are upgrading from 3gs's. i still have a 2g in use in my household.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:29 PM   #5
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
AT&T's Apology for the iPhone 4 Pre-order mess:
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...-96476524.html

Quote:
iPhone 4 pre-order sales yesterday were 10-times higher than the first day of pre-ordering for the iPhone 3G S last year. Consumers are clearly excited about iPhone 4, AT&T's more affordable data plans and our early upgrade pricing.

Given this unprecedented demand and our current expectations for our iPhone 4 inventory levels when the device is available June 24, we're suspending pre-ordering today in order to fulfill the orders we've already received.

The availability of additional inventory will determine if we can resume taking pre-orders.

In addition to unprecedented pre-order sales, yesterday there were more than 13 million visits to AT&T's website where customers can check to see if they are eligible to upgrade to a new phone; that number is about 3-times higher than the previous record for eligibility upgrade checks in one day.

We are working hard to bring iPhone 4 to as many of our customers as soon as possible.
Oh wait, they didn't apologize. Nevermind.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2010, 06:30 PM   #6
scottjl
Reader of Books

what i'm really surprised about, is that apple doesn't have any sort of way to get out of their "exclusive" contract with at&t over all these shenanigans over the past few years. at&t has demonstrated time and time again failures to handle capacity, failures to handle customer service, and recently serious failures in security with customer records.

i deal with multi-million dollar contracts between companies on a regular basis, that apple doesn't have any out because of at&t's ineptness is completely surprising. apple seems to want to stick with at&t for some reason.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:52 PM   #7
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
apple seems to want to stick with at&t for some reason.
Lots and lots of money? Just a guess

This is probably a bad time to tell you that in Canada (UK & France also I believe) we'll be getting unlocked iPhone 4 from Apple since all carriers have them.

And no, I won't be taking orders.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:26 PM   #8
scottjl
Reader of Books

heh. yeah. i had already read that. but since only at&t has the infrastructure to handle the iphone (visual voice mail mainly) there isn't much reason for me to jump ship anyway.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:28 PM   #9
lukasfikr
Enthusiast
lukasfikr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kindle 3, Apple iPad/iPhone 4
2 fotoman - don't provoke our southern neighbours ... After Hockey Olympics final, BP Oil spill this is another hit for them ...
lukasfikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:35 PM   #10
scottjl
Reader of Books

well. i don't envy your rates. i'm quite familiar with rogers. ouch. expensive. and then there is your broadband.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:38 AM   #11
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
Quote:
well. i don't envy your rates. i'm quite familiar with rogers. ouch. expensive.
Yeah, and the carriers all have remarkably similar rates--especially data... which they each determined independently, I'm sure

But the data plans have been getting better lately and our biggest shortcoming--no unlimited data plans--doesn't seem unusual now that AT&T is discontinuing that.

Still... a highly-desireable, new phone, being offered unlocked is quite a nice departure from the norm.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:54 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
heh. yeah. i had already read that. but since only at&t has the infrastructure to handle the iphone (visual voice mail mainly) there isn't much reason for me to jump ship anyway.
I do think Verizon could handle the iPhone better then AT&T is doing. AT&T's 3G network is garbage overall.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:06 AM   #13
scottjl
Reader of Books

no. i don't. for as much blame as at&t gets on handling this, i don't think any of the carriers would do much better. as for tuesday's meltdown, how can they even attempt to prepare for the spike in traffic they're only going to see for one day. apple managed to handle things on their end, but they weren't getting all of the upgrader traffic as some people went right to at&t, some to radio shack, best buy.. at&t got hit with all the phone verification traffic.

at&t does deserve some blame because they have had 4 years to prepare for these events, you think they'd learn something. there was a report that they pushed an untested production rollout over the weekend. whoever made that bonehead decision should be filling paper sacks with fried potatoes now. their poor security, again, their own fault for not testing things beforehand.

but as far as network usage and overcrowding. i don't think any of the carriers would be any better off. they all pretty much suck. just who sucks less?
Old 06-17-2010, 10:12 AM   #14
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
The quick and huge sales of these devices always amazes me. While iPhone 4 sounds great and all, it's not a must have for me, but I am clearly different than a lot of folks. I do think the face time thing is awesome for the deaf. It will change the lives of many hearing impaired folks....cool...
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:19 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
no. i don't. for as much blame as at&t gets on handling this, i don't think any of the carriers would do much better. as for tuesday's meltdown, how can they even attempt to prepare for the spike in traffic they're only going to see for one day. apple managed to handle things on their end, but they weren't getting all of the upgrader traffic as some people went right to at&t, some to radio shack, best buy.. at&t got hit with all the phone verification traffic.

at&t does deserve some blame because they have had 4 years to prepare for these events, you think they'd learn something. there was a report that they pushed an untested production rollout over the weekend. whoever made that bonehead decision should be filling paper sacks with fried potatoes now. their poor security, again, their own fault for not testing things beforehand.

but as far as network usage and overcrowding. i don't think any of the carriers would be any better off. they all pretty much suck. just who sucks less?
What I did forget to mention is that Apple is also very much at fault here. By making the exclusive deal with AT&T, they've caused AT&T's network to become overly congested. Now if Apple was to allow Verizon, T-Mobile, & Sprint to also have access to the iPad & iPhone, then the congestion will surely lesson as people switch from AT&T. Plus, it would give competition as far as pricing goes and maybe AT&T would once again offer their unlimited data plan.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote