Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-30-2010, 11:05 PM   #1
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Font Size

I borrowed an eBook tonight from the Toronto Public Library though their Overdrive offering. No issues openning it in Adobe Digital Library, and in then transferring it to the Kobo.

The problem comes when I try to read it (or rather, my wife does). Minuscule fonts.

Is this something I would need to resolve by third party tools, or, is this something with luck that either Kobo OR Overdrive will resolve?

The book in question was:

Trouble in High Heels
The Fortune Hunter
by Christina Dodd
Publisher: Penguin USA, Inc.
Imprint: Signet
Subject(s): Fiction
Romance
Language(s): English
File size: 324 KB
ISBN: 9781440657535
Release date: Jan 31, 2009

Peter
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:35 PM   #2
Flawless Cowboy
Flawless Cowboy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
I'm having issues with not being able to change font size as well in DRM free epubs. The eReader seems to default to the smallest size and nothing changes when larger font sizes are selected.

I've played around a bit attempting to convert them in Calibre, but no luck as of yet.

-FC
Flawless Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2010, 11:41 PM   #3
mfpreach
Enthusiast
mfpreach began at the beginning.

Device: prs-300
Me three
:S
mfpreach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:23 AM   #4
terifili
Enthusiast
terifili doesn't litterterifili doesn't litter

Device: Kobo
I have the same problem, but if you are actually converting them, set your base font size to 17.0 and it will be large enough to read... still not able to adjust on the kobo though
terifili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:23 AM   #5
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Same problem.
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2010, 06:03 PM   #6
somecanuck
Enthusiast
somecanuck is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Heeeeeeeey I fixed it. After fighting with many options, I simply renamed the EPUB to ZIP and deleted the entire CSS file. Font-scaling works!
somecanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:40 PM   #7
RussMeyer
RussMeyer began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Hey that worked! Nice easy fix.
RussMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:49 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Very nice solution
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 10:12 PM   #9
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somecanuck View Post
Heeeeeeeey I fixed it. After fighting with many options, I simply renamed the EPUB to ZIP and deleted the entire CSS file. Font-scaling works!
Do you rename the file in the reader? Where/what is a CSS file?Any chance you want to walk those of who don't know how to delete a CSS file through this process? It would be a great help. Thanks.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:22 PM   #10
Duiker
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duiker View Post
Do you rename the file in the reader? Where/what is a CSS file?Any chance you want to walk those of who don't know how to delete a CSS file through this process? It would be a great help. Thanks.
I figured it out. For those who haven't. Connect your reader to your computer. Open up your reader and go to "Digital Editions". Find the book you are having font issues with and rename it's file type to "zip". Now double click the file. You should get a list of a bunch of different files. Look for the one named "stylesheet.css". Delete this file. Now step out/go back to your book list and rename again from ".zip" back to ".epub" or whatever it originally was. Voila. Brilliant and thanks to somecanuck for figuring it out!
Old 05-01-2010, 10:59 PM   #11
somecanuck
Enthusiast

Sorry for the slow reply, it was movie time. But yeah, that's the trick. Hopefully we can get a custom Calibre profile to just not include CSS.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:07 PM   #12
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
This problem has been discussed at length in other threads. See here for example. Its an ADE firmware issue and they are working on it---I had hoped they would work on it before the release, but I guess not. I am told a fix is coming, but I couldn't say when.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:22 PM   #13
JCSullivan
Chief Inspector Gamache
JCSullivan began at the beginning.

Device: Viewsonic
I'm sorry to say guys but this removing of the css solution did not work for me.
JCSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:32 PM   #14
somecanuck
Enthusiast

I uploaded 33 books this morning after having removed the stylesheet and every single one works. You're doing it wrong.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:38 PM   #15
JCSullivan
Chief Inspector Gamache
JCSullivan began at the beginning.

Device: Viewsonic
I could very well be doing it wrong.
JCSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote