Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-07-2009, 12:51 AM   #1
med007
Enthusiast
med007 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle2
will kindle dx native pdf support trinkle down to regular kindle2?

what do you think?

Or will amazon purposefully delay this trinkle down so that they sell more DXs?
med007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:23 AM   #2
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
They won't delay it to sell more DXs, they just won't see a point in adding it since K2's small screen makes it a poor reading experience for PDFs.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2009, 05:53 AM   #3
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
The more important thing is - will the web browser allow one to download PDF's, this could be a deal breaker for me. I would like to be able to download PDF's from my Library where I have access to many (a lot) articles. Copying them to a PC then transferring them is too much of a hassle.
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:19 AM   #4
BarryTX
Connoisseur
BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle 2
Small screen or not, Amazon should give K2 owners the capability and leave it to us to decide whether or not to read in pdf format. It probably would lead to more upgrades by folks that want to read pdfs often.
BarryTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:32 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The KDX is not using the reflow capabilities of Adobe Digital Editions for PDFs which would be essential on a 6" screen. So it would take a bit of work to add native PDF support to the Kindle 2.

Amazon does have an alternative reflow method - send your PDF to them for conversion to MOBI. There are advantages to the ADE approach though. For one thing, you get to see the original PDF page layout if you want as well as the re-flowed version.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2009, 11:31 AM   #6
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Usually library PDFs are DRM-protected. It appears that the DX does not support DRMed PDF files.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:43 AM   #7
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I agree with wallcraft and sirbruce. As to slow_hand's question, my reading of the K DX User Guide leads me to believe you need to use the USB cable to transfer PDF files.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:09 PM   #8
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The User's Guide says: "If you e-mail a PDF to your Kindle DX, it will be sent to your device with no conversion"

OK, I can't resist: "trinkle"???? Really??

Last edited by susan_cassidy; 05-07-2009 at 02:52 PM.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:41 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow_hand View Post
The more important thing is - will the web browser allow one to download PDF's, this could be a deal breaker for me.
The User's Guide says, under Accessing the Web:
Quote:
DOWNLOADING FILES
Some Web sites may have books or documents you can download and read on your Kindle. When you select these books or documents using Basic Web, you will be
The types of files you can download include Kindle content (.AZW, .AZW1), unprotected Mobipocket books (.MOBI, .PRC) and text files (.TXT).
Note that I am not misquoting, there is something missing after "you will be". I can't see why PDFs would not be allowed, the list above is all the kinds of files that are readable natively on the K2 and the KDX adds PDF to that category. This may be worth calling Amazon about.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote