Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 05-21-2013, 01:46 PM   #16
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
I have a question: could I nominate a book by aDutch author who has been given the important P.C.Hooft award?
The P.C. Hooft Award (in Dutch: P.C. Hooft-prijs) is a Dutch language literary life achievement award. The annual award is alternately given for prose (fiction), essays (non-fiction) and poetry. The award was established in 1947 as a Dutch state award. It is named for the Dutch poet and playwright Pieter Corneliszoon Hooft. It is generally considered the chief literary oeuvreprijs ('life's-work-prize') in the Dutch language.

if not...there's 'no man overboard'.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:11 PM   #17
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I don't see why not. As an official state award, the P.C. Hooft Award/P.C. Hooft-prijs is surely considered a major award, is it not?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #18
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I don't see why not. As an official state award, the P.C. Hooft Award/P.C. Hooft-prijs is surely considered a major award, is it not?
Yes, it is a major award, only for important autors.
Thank you, WT Sharpe.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #19
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I'm not sure ff major is relevant.

I thought the category was award winners. As in multiple award winners. Just stirring the pot (especially since this helps my nominations).

As long as the book is available as an ebook in desertblues country (and meets the other retrictions), it should eligible for nomination.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #20
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ha! Wouldn't that be Awards Winners? (Although that would help at least one of my nominations also. )
Advert
Old 05-21-2013, 03:02 PM   #21
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I will second Among Others by Jo Walton.

It is available from Amazon for Kindle and also at the iTunes Book Store in epub.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #22
desertblues
Home for the moment

I nominate The tea lords by Hella Haasse.

Hella Haasse was the 'grand old lady' of Dutch literature. She got many awards in the Netherlands as well in France (Académie Francaise https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hella_Haasse

Her internationally acclaimed Magnus opus "Heren van de Thee" was translated to ‘The Tea Lords’ in 2010. It is a historical novel set in the Dutch East Indies of the 19th and 20th century, based on a trove of documents and letters deposited in the Netherlands by the heirs and relations of the book’s characters.

The Tea Lords, published in the Netherlands in 1992 and well rendered into English by Ina Rilke, is Haasse's first appearance here for 15 years. It is one of her largest-scale exercises in fictional sympathy: a portrayal of three generations of Dutch colonial experience in the East Indies, and altogether more forgiving than Multatuli's classic 1860 novel, Max Havelaar, which sweepingly denounced his country's abuses. (Multatuli appears in Haasse's narrative as a distant cousin-by-marriage and is given fair, if mocking, treatment for his vanity and egotism, especially where women were concerned.)
Haasse's intention in The Tea Lords is not to slay the monster of colonialism again, but to seek out a representative family's story – a product of its time rather than its greediest architect or blackest sheep.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010...-haasse-review

Available:
Amazon US: p-book is only listed as pre-order
UK http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tea-Lords-He.../dp/1846271711 (ebook)
Australia http://www.booktopia.com.au/search.e...uctType=917504 (p-book)
Canada http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_nos...s=hella+haasse (p-book and ebook)

Last edited by desertblues; 05-06-2015 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:26 PM   #23
desertblues
Home for the moment

And I second Murakami's Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World.
( and I wanted the Orphan's master.....)
Old 05-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #24
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I will nominate More Than Human by Theodore Sturgeon. It won the 1954 International Fantasy Award.

More Than Human is about a gestalt organism--the next step in human evolution. It concerns a group of people with extraordinary mental and psychic powers who "blesh" (blend + mesh} together so as to form a single entity. The book explores the development of this entity and the nature and morality of such a being. Beautifully--even poetically--written, it is often considered to be Sturgeon's masterpiece.

Amazon has several Kindle editions and the iTunes Book Store carries it in epub format.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 05-21-2013 at 03:47 PM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:54 PM   #25
desertblues
Home for the moment

I second More than human
Old 05-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #26
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
So many intriguing choices and only two nominations left!

I'll third The Swerve, which I nominated in the non-fiction category last year and have yet to read

and

I'll second The Tea Lords. I love colonial history.

As an aside, my nomination got two awards!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:43 PM   #27
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I third The Tea Lords.

Quote:
Oh, this looks good: sex, dark humor, murder, and it's the winner of the National Book Award: A Novel of Fame, Honor, and Really Bad Weather by Jincy Willett.

From Amazon:

$3.99 at Amazon.

This sucks. Found it by searching Amazon for award winners. The TITLE of this book is Winner of the National Book Award: A Novel of Fame, Honor, and Really Bad Weather. It did not win the National Book Award. Withdrawn.
I read that book years ago. It wasn't as good as I was hoping for, but it was somewhat interesting in a quirky sort of way.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:02 PM   #28
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Quote:
Oh, this looks good: sex, dark humor, murder, and it's the winner of the National Book Award: A Novel of Fame, Honor, and Really Bad Weather by Jincy Willett. ...This sucks. Found it by searching Amazon for award winners. The TITLE of this book is Winner of the National Book Award: A Novel of Fame, Honor, and Really Bad Weather. It did not win the National Book Award. Withdrawn.
...I read that book years ago. It wasn't as good as I was hoping for, but it was somewhat interesting in a quirky sort of way.
I wonder how many people bought it thinking it was a National Book Award winner?

Knew I should have gone with something with which I was at least somewhat familiar. That's why I nominated the two I did. At least I'd heard of them and was familiar with some of the buzz they generated. I don't recall hearing of any of the fiction books on the list.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:05 PM   #29
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
I'd like to third Among Others by Jo Walton. I just read a review about the book.
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:09 PM   #30
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I will third More Than Human ...
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote