Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-16-2008, 12:15 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanacsa View Post
I went through the download process in Safari and Firefox, but it kept kicking me to the Adobe web site. When I launched Adobe Digital Editions manually, reclicking the download button in the browser appeared to work — the book started loading in DE. Then I received this error:

Irritating!

Worse, when I poked around the Adobe web site looking for an update to Digital Editions, the download link was disabled. Does anyone have a working download link? Or has Adobe disabled downloads for a reason?
Since you have a 500, why not get the eBook in MS Reader format, use ConvertLIT to remove the DRM, convert ot LRF using lit2lrf and load on your 500 and enjoy? PDF is a hassle you don't need or want. It's also a stupid format for reading fiction.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:27 PM   #32
AMacD
Al
AMacD doesn't litterAMacD doesn't litter

Location: Bardstown, KY as home base, but RV following the seasons.
Device: Kindle1 and Kindle2 and Palm T|X
I also cannot get it to download using Firefox. For some reason Safari won't run at all. I get a far as the 4th tab and where it says to sign in or sign up I click on the sign up button and hit return and get an error as it thinks I am trying to sign in. I don't see any place else to sign up for an account. Anybody got any ideas? Al in Benson, AZ

I got past that page by entering my e-mail address but then it asked for my MobiPocket device PID. Where do I find this little piece of information? I am using a Kindle and have a Macintosh.

Last edited by AMacD; 01-16-2008 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Added something.
AMacD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2008, 12:36 PM   #33
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Since you have a 500, why not get the eBook in MS Reader format, use ConvertLIT to remove the DRM, convert ot LRF using lit2lrf and load on your 500 and enjoy? PDF is a hassle you don't need or want. It's also a stupid format for reading fiction.
gmanacsa mentioned Safari, so I assume a Mac computer is involved. Since downloading the .lit version requires Microsoft Reader to be installed, and since there is no Microsoft Reader for Mac or Linux, this is a dead-end.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:28 PM   #34
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Hint: You need to have MS Reader installed if you want to be able to purchase in LIT format.
That's the least of the problems. You have to Activate your MS Reader, which I've just finished. After using Internet Explorer after years of nothing but Mozilla browsers, and with ActiveX Controls and JavaScript enabled, too, I now feel thoroughly dirty.

I sure hope this book is worth it...
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:35 PM   #35
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudy View Post
That's the least of the problems. You have to Activate your MS Reader, which I've just finished. After using Internet Explorer after years of nothing but Mozilla browsers, and with ActiveX Controls and JavaScript enabled, too, I now feel thoroughly dirty.

I only use IE to download .lit books. And I feel dirty, too!
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2008, 01:39 PM   #36
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
Yea, I usually use SeaMonkey for browsing and email but I had to fire up a copy of IE to get this book ... Even at that I had to reactivate my already activated copy of MSReader.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:42 AM   #37
JohnnyD
Connoisseur
JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Cybook Gen3 (cracked screen)/Bebook/Nokia E60/Nokia 5800/Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
...know the feeling, normally living in a Gentoo world... feels like taking a trip on MS Titanic...
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:46 AM   #38
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudy View Post

Ironically, it's a lot easier to get this book off the darknet
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:43 AM   #39
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Ironically, it's a lot easier to get this book off the darknet
I'm not at all surprised. Heck, I'd have been mightily surprised if it hadn't been easier to get off the darknet.

For me, part of the whole ordeal was to find out just what hoops I'd have to jump through to buy a DRM'd e-book. The conclusion being that if that's what it takes, I'll stay with the likes of Project Gutenberg and BAEN if at all possible (and, now that I have an activated MS Reader, lit-files for easy unDRMability).

Not that I'm surprised by this conclusion, either...
Old 01-18-2008, 06:29 AM   #40
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Well, to be fair, buying from the Sony store is easy - it's just that particular store/web-site's implementation that's making it so awkward for non-IE users.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 04:40 AM   #41
plantedbypiggies
oink!
plantedbypiggies doesn't litterplantedbypiggies doesn't litter

Device: Ebookwise 1150
I was wondering if I could get a little help with this title, seeing that I'm relatively new to working with ebooks.

I downloaded the DRMed pdf version of Shaman's crossing because I am using a mac without parallels or pc emulators running windows. I'd like to convert it into a file that I could use with my Ebookwise 1150, preferably rich text or rb so I can download it using my ebookwise server. If this is even feasible, would any of you have any suggestions?

Thanks a lot.
plantedbypiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:33 AM   #42
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Currently no tools are available to handle DRMed PDFs. I guess no one wants to be another Sklyarov...
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:34 PM   #43
TheLongshot
Groupie
TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
The next free book is up now. It is Raymond Feist's "Flight Of The Nighthawks".

http://www.harpercollinsebooks.com/6...SHAMX10_011508

Jason
TheLongshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:44 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Thanks for the heads up LongShot.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:15 AM   #45
Gudy
Wizard

Hmm, this is interesting. At least as of a couple of years ago, REF's stance was pretty much anti e-book, which is understandable since as one of the international top five or so in the fantasy genre, he stood the least to gain and the most to lose from this.

I wonder what changed his opinion...