Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-18-2012, 02:44 PM   #91
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever

Last edited by david_e; 09-05-2012 at 05:14 PM.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:00 PM   #92
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever

Last edited by david_e; 09-05-2012 at 05:14 PM.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2012, 03:16 PM   #93
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I agree. One point for the original article although it was not mentioned IIRC is that many of those who buy a tablet first will never buy an ereader.

Helen
Unless they see a Kindle ad. Of course that assumes that we are talking
about those who read.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #94
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
I would have thought that the huge influx of tablets with reading capabilities would enable and actually encourage those who rarely read to read a book. I see huge amounts of books for young adults at B & N, so assume they are reading. They all have tablets also, so maybe tablets will help to get America reading again.
I love my e-ink Kindle 3, but read alot at night outside on a porch or tree swing in my yard and use my Ipad. I don't really care if it doesn't stay charged as long as my Kindle, I just charge it back up, but it is large and awkward to hold. My Christmas gift to myself this year will be a backlit e-ink reader. Will go with Kindle if they come out with one by then, but Nook will work just fine if that's still the only one on the market.
Dixie
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #95
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
Tablets will become increasingly popular as prices drop and power increases, but they will never supplant computers in the workplace or gaming community simply because in both those areas screen size is a primary issue. I work with two or three screens as a rule, more and more professionals work with at least two. All twenty-four to thirty-two inch. Gamers drool over triple thirty plus inch screen setups. Gamers are what drive computer power increases, far more than conventional business use.
And what percentage of the PC market do you think hardcore gamers and people using multiple screens make up?
And what exactly in the original article says that PCs will cease to exist?
I'm not sure what argument you are attempting to refute?
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2012, 12:16 PM   #96
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
This isn't a zero sum game. Just because more people start using tablets that doesn't mean that fewer people will be using e-ink readers. Both tablet and e-ink readership will continue to increase over the coming years.
That's not necessarily true, but is probably the way to bet.

What I think will happen is that eInk will be relegated to the low end of the market, and (obviously) to those who are serious readers - i.e., people who read books on a regular basis. There will be low end tablets, but the people who use them will mainly, although not entirely, be occasional readers.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:22 PM   #97
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
NYTIMEs

Quote:
In an interview after the event, Mr. Bezos said black-and-white, paperlike screens for those who just want to read an old-fashioned book would be around for a long time to come.

“What you think of as a book today — the kind of linear narrative — that doesn’t go away,” Mr. Bezos said. “Linear storytelling — that, I think, is very deeply fundamental to the human brain, so technology doesn’t change that.”
Quote:
with its new glowing screen and higher contrast, it can also be used for reading at night. For some, it might even replace the need to reach for an Apple iPad, or other brightly lit screen, when wanting to read in the dark.

It seems black and white e-readers are not a temporary product, eventually becoming color screens. Rather, they are a secondary device that will always have a home in the e-reader family.
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/0...-here-to-stay/
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:26 PM   #98
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I went from EInk to a Tablet for one simple reason: comics.

I need a larger than 6" screen to read the text and I also need color. So while an EInk reader is better for prose, my default single gadget is the tablet because while it isn't as good for prose as EInk, it does something EInk can't.

One device that meets all my reading needs makes more sense than a device that meets some of my needs superlatively well, but other needs not at all.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:44 PM   #99
tea2
Zealot
tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd ed, Kindle 2, iPad Mini 4, Aura One.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post

Reading is not a must have activity in my life.

It is in mine. I can't imagine not reading. If tablets become the way to go, I'll get a tablet even though the glare (as opposed to e-ink) hurts my eyes. I don't have anymore space for physical books. I also have audiobooks, but that's chiefly so I can "read" in my car on the way to work.
tea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #100
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
"I went from EInk to a Tablet for one simple reason: comics.

I need a larger than 6" screen to read the text and I also need color."
Have you tried comic reader mobi?
http://comicreader.mobi/

I use perfect viewer for most of my comics as its auto navigation is great in landscape orientation,

But Comic reader mobi has a custom optical character recognition feature that enlarges any text you tap with a "Smart lens"

On the subject at hand My kindle Fire was my first tablet/Ereader and it not only got me into collecting comics again(Marvel,DC, Darkhorse) but it started me reading (18 mostly sci fi novels in about ten months)

I Do want an E-ink reader for novels though( Paperwhite) and will use My kindle fire just for Full color multimedia stuff .
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:11 PM   #101
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by tea2 View Post
It is in mine. I can't imagine not reading. If tablets become the way to go, I'll get a tablet even though the glare (as opposed to e-ink) hurts my eyes. I don't have anymore space for physical books. I also have audiobooks, but that's chiefly so I can "read" in my car on the way to work.
I got rid of all of my physical books years ago, with the exception of large coffee table books.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:17 PM   #102
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've used Comic Reader Mobi, but I get most of mine from ComiXology. I do prefer being able to see the entire page and read the text at once though - it helps with the storytelling.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:23 PM   #103
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
"I've used Comic Reader Mobi, but I get most of mine from ComiXology. I do prefer being able to see the entire page and read the text at once though - it helps with the storytelling."
Understood ,
I dont care for comixology

I prefer to Digitize my comics in CBR/CBZ format which allowed me to leverage my existing Digitized collection from my laptop to my kindle.

Cheers
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:33 PM   #104
Lemurion
eReader

Part of it is that I'm reading new comics and am not going to go to the trouble of buying, scanning, and digitizing. That's too much like work. I also have an aversion to modern coloring on paper (I think it looks fine on a screen but like crap on paper).

Basically, that makes ComiXology the only game in town for my needs.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:21 PM   #105
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I got rid of all of my physical books
minimalist monkey!
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote