Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-05-2011, 09:30 AM   #1
Ludovic
Ludovic began at the beginning.

Device: none
TTS localized.

Hi there,

I wish to get localized Text to speech, to read french text.

I have no kindle yet. Shall I get a kindle 3 that has TTS enabled, or can I mod a kindle 4 from amazon. It looks like it is the only kindle for sale.

Also, is there an audio jack on kindle 4 ?

Ludovic
Ludovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:01 AM   #2
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
Also, is there an audio jack on kindle 4 ?

Ludovic
The non-touch Kindle 4 does not have an audio jack, only the touch model does.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2011, 10:39 AM   #3
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
Hi there,

I wish to get localized Text to speech, to read french text.
it could be possible with Kindle 3 if you have no problem with jailbreak and hacks : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=159829
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:38 AM   #4
Ludovic
Ludovic began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for the answer.
That's what I was thinking.

So I should get "old" kindle 3 + mods
or Kindle touch (because I need audio jack & TTS).. mmm , it is worthit ?

Ludovic
Ludovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:43 AM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Interestingly Kindle Touch does give access to the folders containing the TTS data files. So it seems there is potential for adding additional voices, though to my knowledge nobody has figured out how to do that yet.

Also I think it is likely that KT will get localized UI for Fr/Ge/It/Sp/Pt in the coming months, in conjunction with ramping up Kindle stores for those languages, and allowing KT to be sold in those markets. At that time it may become possible to download dictionaries and TTS data for the respective languages from Amazon directly. (I'm speculating of course).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2011, 10:57 AM   #6
slkissinger
Connoisseur
slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Multiple Kindles, Pocketbook Touch HD3, Kobo Clara HD, Xiaomi InkPalm
On my K3, I did use the hack to put on different voices for the TTS. I'm primarily an English speaker, but I found the stock voices to be a bit 'tinny' and not as pleasant to listen to. I downloaded and put in two different english voices instead of the stock ones.

So in my opinion, it depends upon your purchase timeline. If you want something soon, you may want to get a K3, since it's known to work (even though it requires jailbreaking and a hack). If you don't anticipate getting a device yet, you could wait and see what emerges with the Touch.
slkissinger is offline   Reply With Quote