Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-17-2011, 07:30 AM   #16
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Actually, it's quite easy. For books, I use the Kindle app. For music, I use the Amazon MP3 app. For Prime Videos, I use my browser.

I have no idea on downloading video, since I don't rent or buy the stuff.

What else is there?
Using the browser for prime videos is cumbersome compared with the app on the Kindle Fire. I know, I compared my Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 side by side with the Kindle Fire. Also, the video streaming quality was much better on the Fire than on the browser.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:06 AM   #17
dengar
Connoisseur
dengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with others

Device: PW2, K3, Ipad 4, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Kindle View Post
Ok. So unrooted my KF and video streaming is back. I still have the Google App Store and still can install apps from it. Problem solved.
How hard was it to get the Google Market on?
dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2011, 12:22 PM   #18
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by dengar View Post
Not that hard. I plan to post verified instructions later today.
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:23 PM   #19
Radnor
Radnor doesn't litterRadnor doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by dengar View Post
After rooting your Fire, follow these instructions: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1349902

Don't forget this part: Before you install the Android Market apk you need to copy the apk file into /system/app and set the correct permissions after it is in /system/app.
Radnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:09 PM   #20
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

As promised: rooting Kindle Fire and Google Market install - tested and verified.
Advert
Old 11-17-2011, 06:29 PM   #21
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Nice, bk. Thanks.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:45 PM   #22
kalex
Zealot
kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: sony
sweet. BK - with OTA rootkeeper u can enable and disable root ondemand?
kalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:06 PM   #23
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
I only find android_winusb.inf, not android_winusb.ini. Is that a typo, BK?
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:09 PM   #24
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

I just can't get adb to see my Fire, grr

Ok, figured it out:

When editing the adb_usb.ini file, DO NOT COPY AND PASTE. Something about the 'x' used is wrong -- I'm not sure what. Instead, manually type 0x1949, and save that.

Additionally, android_winusb.inf IS the file, KB, -not- android_winusb.ini.

Thanks for all your effort in making that page!

Last edited by gweminence; 11-17-2011 at 08:34 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:12 PM   #25
xari
Kindle Obsessed.
xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.

Device: K3, K4, Kindle Fire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
When editing the adb_usb.ini file, DO NOT COPY AND PASTE. Something about the 'x' used is wrong -- I'm not sure what. Instead, manually type 0x1949, and save that.
Question: After adding in the 0x1949, should the format of the adb_usb.ini file be this:

# ANDROID 3RD PARTY USB VENDOR ID LIST -- DO NOT EDIT.
# USE 'android update adb' TO GENERATE.
# 1 USB VENDOR ID PER LINE.

0x1949

or

# ANDROID 3RD PARTY USB VENDOR ID LIST -- DO NOT EDIT.
# USE 'android update adb' TO GENERATE.
# 1 USB VENDOR ID PER LINE.
0x1949

(In other words, should I have an extra line prior to the 0x1949, or not, or does it not matter either way?)

Thanks in advance.
xari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:17 PM   #26
gweminence
Fat Guy

Mine only had two lines. Everything in the file originally, on one. I just put the cursor at the end and pressed enter, then typed the 0x949
Old 11-17-2011, 10:19 PM   #27
xari
Kindle Obsessed.
xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
Mine only had two lines. Everything in the file originally, on one. I just put the cursor at the end and pressed enter, then typed the 0x949
That's what I originally did. But it wasn't working (maybe because I originally cut-and-pasted it), but now I'll be trying typing it in as you suggested.

Thanks for that!
Old 11-17-2011, 10:26 PM   #28
xari
Kindle Obsessed.

Quote:
Holey Moley!

I've been fighting with this all night and just with that one little tip about typing it out vs. cut-and-paste you helped me finally root my Fire.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:43 PM   #29
Blog Kindle
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalex View Post
sweet. BK - with OTA rootkeeper u can enable and disable root ondemand?
Exactly. You can root and unroot right from the device itself - no need to hook it up to the computer. Of course for this to work it has to be rooted in the first place. So OTA rootkeeper will not replace ADB rooting
Old 11-17-2011, 11:04 PM   #30
xari
Kindle Obsessed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Kindle View Post
Exactly. You can root and unroot right from the device itself - no need to hook it up to the computer. Of course for this to work it has to be rooted in the first place. So OTA rootkeeper will not replace ADB rooting
BK, thank you so much for clarifying the instructions for this process. The info provided over at http://forum.xda-developers.com was good, but you added in some additional info that was extremely helpful to people, like me, who've never (ever!) tried something like this before.

Thanks so much!