Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-15-2011, 04:19 PM   #31
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pssquirrel View Post
I think I can get my hands on an old PC this week, but it's running an old version of Windows -- XP maybe? Will Windows XP work?
I use Windows XP SP3. Worked fine for me.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:32 PM   #32
Conductor
Conductor began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
My thanks to all, as well. Except for the occasional author's urge to insert a few words in French, Spanish or Latin (which is somehow presented in an unknown font size that must surely have a minus sign in front of it) I have no complaints about my 350 gem. I'll stay with it a while longer.
Conductor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2011, 06:50 PM   #33
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Now that the refurbished PRS-350SC is $84.99 with free shipping at the Sony Outlet Store, I actually picked up a second one for backup.

I have no interest in the T1 and I want to get as much use as possible out of Poppaea's incredible present:-- a lighted 350 cover to replace the one that was stolen from me.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 10-15-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:39 PM   #34
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
I finally got hands on use of a T1 today.
It fits in my Right breast pocket, so I will be getting one for me in addition to the one I am getting my Wife. Keeping the 350 though.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:21 PM   #35
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Really try to borrow a Windows PC to get PRS+ installed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pssquirrel View Post
I think I can get my hands on an old PC this week ... Will Windows XP work?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I use Windows XP SP3. Worked fine for me.
Well, I borrowed a computer running Windows XP SP3. The PRS+ installer starts up fine, but then the installation fails with "Sony Reader PRS-350 cannot be found." This is incredibly discouraging

I have asked for help on the PRS+ Support thread here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...64510&page=188

If anyone following this thread has suggestions, would you mind popping over to the aforementioned thread and continuing this tangent there. My plea for help is post #2808. Thank you!
pssquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2011, 12:24 PM   #36
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Make sure the reader is plugged into a USB slot directly on the PC and not through any type of hub, they often won't show certain devices. Also try a slot at the back of the PC if the front isn't working. It might be a simple solution.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:24 PM   #37
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Maybe this is the Universe's way of telling me I should go ahead and splurge on the T1 now :-)
Old 10-16-2011, 01:31 PM   #38
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I've made the 'upgrade'. I'm still using the 350 as my 'on the go' reader, though, as I don't yet have a case for the T1. The t1 is a great upgrade, despite the fact that I miss the metal frame of the older Sony models. It is light as a feather, looks great (I don't find the plastic bezel as shiny as the pictures would have made me believe it to be), I love the new font choices and sizes and it feels great in the hand. Being able to use Dropbox with it is a great plus. The screen is fantastic, the best I've seen on an eink reader. It also seems faster than my 350. All in all, I am very happy with my purchase.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 01:33 PM   #39
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I've made the 'upgrade'. I'm still using the 350 as my 'on the go' reader, though, as I don't yet have a case for the T1. The t1 is a great upgrade, despite the fact that I miss the metal frame of the older Sony models. It is light as a feather, looks great (I don't find the plastic bezel as shiny as the pictures would have made me believe it to be), I love the new font choices and sizes and it feels great in the hand. Being able to use Dropbox with it is a great plus. The screen is fantastic, the best I've seen on an eink reader. It also seems faster than my 350. All in all, I am very happy with my purchase.
What about all this crashing and freezing?
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 01:42 PM   #40
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
What about all this crashing and freezing?
I haven't had any problems (touch wood). The store manager at the Sony store did say that I had a month to do a refund on it, if I so chose.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:37 PM   #41
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I haven't had any problems (touch wood). The store manager at the Sony store did say that I had a month to do a refund on it, if I so chose.
No problems here with crashing and freezing either.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:21 AM   #42
pssquirrel
ebooknut

Reading all these posts, the T1 is getting harder and harder to resist :-)
Old 10-17-2011, 08:52 AM   #43
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
My points of resistance are the T1's form factor and switch to a new operating system, and the fact it's likely to get less expensive and have improved firmware and functionality as well.

The biggest advantages (for me) would be increases in speed, screen clarity and font choices, none of which override the advantages of the 350.

2011 has been the year of tablets and taller/wider devices maxing in the mainstream -- a trend that seems to have started to reverse. I'm hoping there will be a return to smaller readers in the next few years, as hinted at by the diminishing form factors if not screens of the Nook ST and Kindles Touch and Fire.

As for Sony's switch to plastic, I predicted that here a few times before the T1 existed. Now that Sony's forsaken metal and five-inch screens, I'll need more incentive to stay with the brand.

For starters, I'd like seamless connectivity with vendors, internet access without tears, unrestricted folder organization and easy importation and implementation of custom fonts. That, and I want an end to vanishing itals.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 10-17-2011 at 09:03 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:48 AM   #44
pssquirrel
ebooknut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Really try to borrow a Windows PC to get PRS+ installed. I think that will breathe new life into your 350 ...
PRS+ success!! Finally managed to borrow another PC, and this time the installation went off without a hitch. All I can say is, WOW! PRS+ is even better than I imagined!

Thank you so much to everyone who offered advice, encouragment, and instruction!
Old 10-28-2011, 01:32 AM   #45
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Glad it went as easily as it should with the 2nd PC and that you like it. And yes, PRS+ is truly amazing.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote