Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-28-2015, 05:04 PM   #1
tygn
tygn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kindle app on Ipad

Kindle app on IOS also supports dictionary just like Kindle? I guess there's no vocabulary builder and flash cards but at least word look up works?

Also, how good is the IBooks dictionary comparing to Kindle dictionaries?
tygn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 12:55 AM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Kindle for iOS has good dictionary support, and you can purchase third party dictionaries to supplement Amazon's. It also has a Translate feature: you can select text and have it translated to any of 15 other languages (uses Bing Translator, so you have to be online). It will also use Text To Speech to read out the translated text. No Vocabulary builder, but you can copy text and paste that to the note taking app of your choice. Amazon recently added Word Wise to the Android app, and I expect that may show up on iOS before long. This offers definitions of 'difficult' words in between the lines of text.

I think Translate is in general more useful than a translation dictionary, since you can translate entire sentences and not just single words, even where the quality of the translation is inferior.

The Kindle app uses the same dictionaries for English as iBooks, it seems (New Oxford American Dictionary, Oxford Dictionary of English).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:35 AM   #3
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tygn View Post
Kindle app on IOS also supports dictionary just like Kindle? I guess there's no vocabulary builder and flash cards but at least word look up works?

Also, how good is the IBooks dictionary comparing to Kindle dictionaries?
You can also have some good dictionary (with vocabulary builder ...) simultaneously opened and then enter there quickly with a simple swipe whenever needed from any current app.

Last edited by markom; 04-29-2015 at 07:51 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 01:09 AM   #4
tygn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Kindle for iOS has good dictionary support, and you can purchase third party dictionaries to supplement Amazon's. It also has a Translate feature: you can select text and have it translated to any of 15 other languages (uses Bing Translator, so you have to be online). It will also use Text To Speech to read out the translated text. No Vocabulary builder, but you can copy text and paste that to the note taking app of your choice. Amazon recently added Word Wise to the Android app, and I expect that may show up on iOS before long. This offers definitions of 'difficult' words in between the lines of text.

I think Translate is in general more useful than a translation dictionary, since you can translate entire sentences and not just single words, even where the quality of the translation is inferior.

The Kindle app uses the same dictionaries for English as iBooks, it seems (New Oxford American Dictionary, Oxford Dictionary of English).
Thanks for such a detailed explanation tomsem, I'm thinking to buy an Ipad just for online articles and newspapers but I think it will never be like reading on Kindle. Already I'm on my computer all day long at work and kindle still feels like best device for reading. Never thought about Android devices actually, I'm not Apple fan but the screen quality still on Apple's side.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:11 AM   #5
tygn

Quote:
Originally Posted by markom View Post
You can also have some good dictionary (with vocabulary builder ...) simultaneously opened and then enter there quickly with a simple swipe whenever needed from any current app.
Thanks markom, that's an idea but that simultaneously thing sounds little bit struggle after Kindle's build in dictionary, wish they can bring this to any other platform other than Kindle.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:26 PM   #6
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
If you use Marvin for your epub reading (by putting the purchased Amazon book into Calibre and exporting to epub), it has a vocabulary list you can add each word into then export it in csv format to a flashcard program of your choice. Is the flashcard system in Kindle fire or just any eink Kindle?
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:55 AM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
One weakness of the current iOS app is the lack of sharing options apart from Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, and copy to clipboard. Copy is probably good enough for keeping a vocabulary list (in the note-taking app of your choice).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionary, ipad, kindle