Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-07-2011, 11:17 AM   #16
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I'm with you on that. Should have dropped the first NOOKcolor and just went with the "new" NOOKcolor. Like they did with the NOOK (eInk). It's referred to as the new Nook. The NOOKcolors look the same.
I see on the website that the white dual-screen Nook is still being sold new ($89), called "Nook First Edition" (and the newer one is Nook Simple Touch). Dang, why don't they drop that thing already? They still have inventory sitting in the warehouse?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:18 AM   #17
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
I'm much more interested in this Cloud service. What else is being said about that, if anything?
Aren't they referring to their books and magazines. What else could it be? (no sarcasm here)
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:19 AM   #18
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
...Dang, why don't they drop that thing already? They still have inventory sitting in the warehouse?

eP
Sad, indeed.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:21 AM   #19
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks
emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: HTC Flyer; Kobo WiFi
If they left it open, instead of the B&N garden, then the Nook Tablet name would make sense. Confusing still, but there would be more of a difference than specs. Maybe Nook Color Plus or something would've been better (unoriginal, but exactly conveys what the device is in the line up). And less cheesy than Super Nook! Though you could sell an overpriced little cape for the Super Nook ... ;-)
emilikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:22 AM   #20
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I found this about the Simple Touch screen "improvement." According to this source, it's a software/page turn improvement. I wonder if they made any improvements in font hinting or anything like that. It is the same screen. I think it would be been "more news" if it had a new screen.

http://www.slashgear.com/nook-simple...aper-07193627/

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #21
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilikins View Post
If they left it open, instead of the B&N garden, then the Nook Tablet name would make sense...
Yep. Which makes it more puzzling. So, the original NOOKcolor is an eReader's tablet (their wording at one time), and the new NOOKcolor is simply a tablet? I feel sorry for the customer service reps in the stores. So what makes it a tablet now? Access to Netflix and Hulu?
Old 11-07-2011, 11:26 AM   #22
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
If you can actually download movies to the Kindle Fire and not just stream them, that's the winner. Sorry, Netflix is great, but ideally I want to download a movie if I'm traveling by car, boat, plane, train. You can't download movies to the NOOK. You could if you had access to the Android Market.
Although you can't download movies, TV shows, and YouTube videos, you can side-load them to an SD card and watch them on a Nook Color. I use the MovieGallery app to display them (it's only $0.99) and makes a nice enhancement over the standard Android movie gallery display. I've been collecting movies for 30 years. First on BetaMax, then VCR, then DVD...I lost some of my favorites in all the transitions to different rendering devices and finally gave up collecting movies with the impending change, yet again, to Blue Ray. I refuse to buy them over again. But since I got my Nook Color I've started buying DVDs again.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:26 AM   #23
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
The Verge (great new tech site from the former editor of Engadget and cream of tech writers from all kinds of places) had a liveblog. They have "story streams" with all the updates and different blog posts--here is the Nook event story stream.

The differences from the NC? Upgraded screen; upgraded processor; slightly lighter and I think slightly thinner; better battery life; more memory (RAM and storage); new apps (NC will have some of those apps, too). These things are all easily understood from the press coverage that I have seen.

Looks like all of us who invested in Oberon covers for our Nook Colors will still be able to use them if we upgrade to the Nook Tablet. That is a good thing.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:28 AM   #24
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
Although you can't download movies, TV shows, and YouTube videos, you can side-load them to an SD card and watch them on a Nook Color. I use the MovieGallery app to display them (it's only $0.99) and makes a nice enhancement over the standard Android movie gallery display. I've been collecting movies for 30 years. First on BetaMax, then VCR, then DVD...I lost some of my favorites in all the transitions to different rendering devices and finally gave up collecting movies with the impending change, yet again, to Blue Ray. I refuse to buy them over again. But since I got my Nook Color I've started buying DVDs again.
Wow, that's great. I stopped buying movies years ago.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:32 AM   #25
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks
emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: HTC Flyer; Kobo WiFi
Quote:
I see on the website that the white dual-screen Nook is still being sold new ($89), called "Nook First Edition" (and the newer one is Nook Simple Touch). Dang, why don't they drop that thing already? They still have inventory sitting in the warehouse?
Agreed! That's a very confused little machine. I can't think many people are buying them, unless they think it's the Nook Color but cheaper? Then they're mad and return it? I just can't see a demand, so maybe someone gravely overestimated the initial production and they're stuck? It just doesn't make any sense to keep it going. Sell them cheap to a school or donate them or something ... Ooooh, unlock them and donate/sell cheap to a library, so they can lend them to patrons! Then again, maybe we won't want their outdated tech.

If I could sideload apps onto the new Nook, it would be a no-brainer purchase. But I can't without rooting or dual booting. I'm sure those solutions will happen pretty quickly, but I just don't feel like going down that road. Maybe I could be held over until there's a stable ROM. But the B&N UI annoys me, and I can't tell you why, other than I want to do everything around the UI.
emilikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:37 AM   #26
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Are they going to ship internationally? Of course not. Looking at the Kobo it doesn't seem to be a matter of size, more like a general unwillingness to deal with 'em foreigners. Ah, well.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:45 AM   #27
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilikins View Post
Agreed! That's a very confused little machine. I can't think many people are buying them, unless they think it's the Nook Color but cheaper?
I think they still support .pdbs. That's important to some people.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:46 AM   #28
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post

eP
Apparently.
Must be a lot, too, if they don't just dump them on a liquidator and write them off.
Not sure if they could move even at $49...
I suspect there's a landfill full of Atari ET cartridges waiting for them.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:12 PM   #29
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I would be nervous if I was BN. There seems to be hardly any buzz generated by their announcement. Normally this places is going nuts when new e-readers and tablets are announced.

Not a good sign.

And it is truly sad that the original Nook is still available for sale.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:14 PM   #30
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
I'm interested to see how the "new" Nook STR screen performs.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote