Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #31
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvduchovny View Post
Sony store in Canada sells them for $99 w/o the cover or $129 with the cover. I have no idea if they ship to the U.S. but I don't see why not.
They only ship within Canada.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #32
Eric Muller
Connoisseur
Eric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolate

Device: Opus
PRS-T3 for US shoppers

So:

- bestbuy.ca, futureshop.ca, sony.ca carry both the T3 ($129) and T3-S ($99), but none of them ships to the US

- archambault.ca carries only the T3 (with cover, $129), and seems to ship to the US for $20

- ebook.de carries the T3 (€129) and the T3-S (€99). It's unclear whether they ship to the US.

Any other source, particularly from Canada?

Thanks,
Eric.
Eric Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2013, 03:36 PM   #33
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Sony store in Canada sells them for $99 w/o the cover or $129 with the cover. I have no idea if they ship to the U.S. but I don't see why not.

http://store.sony.ca/-/cat-31-catid-All-eReaders

I got mine finally in the mail on Monday. I really like it a lot. It's much smaller than I thought it would be. The trick with the lighted cover (hey I was making this a birthday gift to me I sprung for the lighted cover too). Didn't work until I had charged the reader to 100% (which it nicely says 100% when fully charged these days as oppose to seeing if the red light vanished from reader when charging). It sucked up my sd card pulled from my T1 like a champ. Even remember the page I was on in the story I was reading.

I had trouble getting the Adobe ID to log on the device until I plugged it into a computer and it worked then. Now to figure out what to do with the T1. It's well loved, the fake silver patina of the forward button has worn off, but otherwise it still works fine.
Wow I am surprised it remembered the books. I will have to wrestle my T1 from its cover and move the card just to see this

I find having several readers quite handy. One for the balcony, one for the bus, one for reading in bed.

I haven't yet sprung for the lighted cover because I have a Lighted cover for the T1 and I like the T3 without the cover. Do you find the cover a better or more even light than the previous lighted covers? I was planning to buy one but decided to wait till Christmas at least.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:12 PM   #34
luvduchovny
Zealot
luvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Wow I am surprised it remembered the books. I will have to wrestle my T1 from its cover and move the card just to see this

I find having several readers quite handy. One for the balcony, one for the bus, one for reading in bed.

I haven't yet sprung for the lighted cover because I have a Lighted cover for the T1 and I like the T3 without the cover. Do you find the cover a better or more even light than the previous lighted covers? I was planning to buy one but decided to wait till Christmas at least.

Helen
The lighted cover is a little weird, but it works. It pulls up from the back cover and curves over the reader. It lights the page well enough, but if you are lying down and have the book slightly angled away from your face you can get near blinded by the light (sorry Manfred Mann & Bruce Springsteen) It's kind of flexible but not as flexible as the lighted cover for the T1 was. It can only bend down a bit. Overall I'm pleased with it. There are not batteries for it, the reader needs to be charged for the light to work. I haven't gotten it to the point that it needs a charge yet. I read on it nightly for a few hours and I use the light sparingly.
luvduchovny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #35
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
The lighted cover is a little weird, but it works. It pulls up from the back cover and curves over the reader. It lights the page well enough, but if you are lying down and have the book slightly angled away from your face you can get near blinded by the light (sorry Manfred Mann & Bruce Springsteen) It's kind of flexible but not as flexible as the lighted cover for the T1 was. It can only bend down a bit. Overall I'm pleased with it. There are not batteries for it, the reader needs to be charged for the light to work. I haven't gotten it to the point that it needs a charge yet. I read on it nightly for a few hours and I use the light sparingly.
Interesting. I wouldn't need it lying down, I would want it for reading on the balcony at night. Decisions, decisions.

Thanks for the reply.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #36
ChrisI
Connoisseur
ChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo H2O, Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Just followed this link, and it is on sale for $99.99 CAD
ChrisI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:57 PM   #37
Eric Muller
Connoisseur
Eric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisI View Post
Just followed this link, and it is on sale for $99.99 CAD
The model without cover is on sale for $79 at bestbuy.ca, until December 19. I suppose that's a Sony promotion, but sony.ca does not answer right now.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #38
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
Does anyone know if Best Buy CA ships to the US?

I find it really ironic that when I lived in Australia, I bought my first Sony reader on a trip to the US because it wasn't available back home, and now that I live in the US, the Sony reader is no longer available here!
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #39
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jehane View Post
Does anyone know if Best Buy CA ships to the US?
Nope, they don't.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:08 AM   #40
SuzanneTF
Enthusiast
SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony Reader/Kobo Aura One
I've got a Canadian friend to forward mine to me - Futureshop.ca and Bestbuy.ca both had a sale on the lighted cover and the coverless reader this past week. Including tax, I got the two for just under $125 (Canadian). Yay! Can't wait to get it!

The shipping to my friend is free and I guess I'll find out soon how much it will cost to send it to the US. After the reviews I've seen, I'm prepared to be disappointed by the light but hopefully I won't be. I do suspect it might go on even heavier clearance after the holidays and have the feeling that if they're already having to discount this hard to get good holiday sales (against the competition) that does not bode well for the future of the readers. (Of course, from what I've been reading most people have already had that impression for awhile now). It's a shame about their stance on at least offering illuminated screens as an option. Love everything else about them, though. <3

Last edited by SuzanneTF; 12-15-2013 at 10:11 AM.
SuzanneTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:21 AM   #41
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
You can buy it on rakuten

http://global.rakuten.com/en/search?st=&tl=0&k=sony+prs

and use tenso as forwarding service
http://global.rakuten.com/en/event/tieup/forwarding/
they have a campaign right now
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:38 PM   #42
Phil_C
Addict
Phil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud of

Device: Sony PRS-350; Kobo Clara HD; Kobo Clara 2E
I ordered a T3 from archambault.ca on Dec. 8. It was shipped on Dec. 13 and is now in a USPS sorting facility in New York. Scheduled for delivery by Dec. 21.

Price translates to about $111 US including shipping. Not bad!

Had to get this one in case it's the last that Sony makes.
Phil_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:54 PM   #43
Genre fan
Genre fan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Genre fan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Genre fan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Genre fan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Genre fan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Genre fan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Genre fan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Genre fan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Genre fan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Genre fan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Genre fan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Sony PRS-950, PRS-350
If I wander across the border to Montreal and buy a T3, will I be able to access the sony reader store just as for a device sold in the US?

You who have gotten T3 devices from Canada to the USA, are they giving you access to your existing accounts, are they interfacing well for you with wi-fi, have you been able to buy from the reader store on the device or not?

I am very tempted to take a little drive, get some pastries, buy some Christmas presents for the family, and come away with a T3. The price is good and customs should be duty free for the first $200 (or $400?) spent in a day trip, unless they changed the rules...
Genre fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:37 AM   #44
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genre fan View Post
If I wander across the border to Montreal and buy a T3, will I be able to access the sony reader store just as for a device sold in the US?

You who have gotten T3 devices from Canada to the USA, are they giving you access to your existing accounts, are they interfacing well for you with wi-fi, have you been able to buy from the reader store on the device or not?

I am very tempted to take a little drive, get some pastries, buy some Christmas presents for the family, and come away with a T3. The price is good and customs should be duty free for the first $200 (or $400?) spent in a day trip, unless they changed the rules...
Yes it works perfectly fine. The device itself asks you if you're in the US or Canada. There's nothing that will prohibit it from working in the US with your existing US based account. I have my account in the US but am in Canada. It works no different than any other Sony reader actually bought in the US.

You register it to your existing account. You can download all previous content right from the device.

Why wouldn't a device work on wifi when in another country? You're only using wifi to connect to your existing account on the device no different than when you take it with you on vacation regardless of where you bought it.

Go for a drive & if possible, go tomorrow. Get thee to a Best Buy or Future Shop. They're selling the one with the cover for $99.99 instead of $129.99 and the one without for $79.99 instead of $99.99. That sale ends on Dec. 19th.

If you know where you're going, go to Best Buy's Canadian website, find the item you want and reserve it for pickup in the store at the location of your choice. They'll hold it for you for 24 hours & send email confirmation that it's waiting for you. Go for a drive & grab it & enjoy! That's actually a very nice feature that the US Best Buy stores don't have.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #45
Eric Muller
Connoisseur

I live in the US and bought a T3S from ebook.de. They do take US credit cards and ship (DHL) to the US.

The price on their site is € 89, and that's what they used at checkout, but the final invoice is € 74.79. I suppose the difference is the sales tax, since this is for export. The shipping is € 25.

Eric.