Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-22-2012, 09:56 PM   #1
Shankill
Nameless Being

Just me? Can't download ADE EPUB from the Kobo site

Usually wouldn't start a thread about an issue, but this one's a doozy, and Kobo's generally helpful tech support is completely useless on this one. I bought this book, Blindsight by Chris Colin, just on a month ago, and since then, I haven't been able to download the ADE EPUB from the Kobo site. It syncs fine to my Touch and the Desktop app, but every time I try to download the EPUB, I get this:

Quote:
Error getting license
Server communication problem: E_ADEPT_USER_AUTH
I looked around for any solutions, and I found one suggestion of adding a firewall exception, but that didn't help. I've tried downloading it in three different installations: Windows 7, Windows 8 CP and Fedora (running ADE through Wine). Same error in all three systems. And what makes this even more frustrating is that I've bought and downloaded 23 books from the Kobo store since then with no issue (I have a mild addiction to Kobo discount codes). Yet I still get the same error each and every time.

So I contacted Kobo's email support. They suggested trying the firewall exception, which I'd already tried, and then they gave up, saying that they can't help me because my Touch can download it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo support email
Unfortunately, as this book loads fine onto your Kobo Touch in the method recommended for it, we can offer no further insight than has already been provided. Perhaps Adobe can be of more help in this matter. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Problem for me is I keep all of my ebooks in Calibre and do occasionally use other ereaders. Having one book out of three hundred stubbornly tied to Kobo software annoys me a little, as does how easily they gave up given that being able to download the ADE EPUB is a reasonably prominent feature of the website.

And so I turn to all you fine chaps and chapettes of MR for advice on how to get this damned book on my computer through ADE. I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Last edited by Shankill; 03-22-2012 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:12 PM   #2
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Have you tried entering the error message into Google or Bing? Here is one solution that I found using Google.

Quote:
Compatibility under Windows 7 appears to be an issue also. Here is text
from another post that discussed what was going on with someone else's
system:

I run Windows 7 and had the same problem. I uninstalled and reinstalled the
program and turned off my firewall but ran into the same problem until I
right clicked on ADE in the start menu and clicked troubleshoot
compatibility. The wizard switched the settings to the Windows XP Service
Pack 2 settings and it worked brilliantly.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:31 PM   #3
Shankill
Nameless Being

Yes, first thing I did was search for solutions. That's how I found the firewall solution... which didn't work. Thanks for the compatibility suggestion, but that also didn't help. Like I said, the really weird thing is that I've had no issue with the 23 books I've bought from Kobo since Blindsight. And even now, I'm still getting the exact same error.

e: Going to email back to Kobo support asking if they'd have someone who'd be able to take a look into the server side of things, as suggested by one of the older Adobe support threads.

Last edited by Shankill; 03-23-2012 at 12:00 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:00 AM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Have you tried postig the ticket # on the https://getsatisfaction.com/kobo site?

People often get more luck that way/
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:01 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Also, you could try to contact Jim Lester via PM in these forums; formerly of Adobe....
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:09 AM   #6
Shankill
Nameless Being

Oooh, Get Satisfaction's still going? I'd completely forgotten about that. I'll try there first before emailing the support team again. Don't want to end up being an email pest. Thanks, Peter. I'll see how I go with GS.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:50 AM   #7
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Call CC company and chargeback. I mean, you already contacted them about the issue, and the only answer is "we can't help you receive the product you bought",, fie.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #8
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (loaned out), KoboTouch (given away), KoboVox, KoboGlo, AuraHD
Have you tried downloading the file to your hard drive and then using adobe reader to open it? I had a similar problem with a few purchased books last month and that seemed to fix it. (ie: I had to use SAVE FILE not OPEN WITH) I hope that helps.

S
Mostly Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:31 PM   #9
Shankill
Nameless Being

I did try that. I also had a look inside the ACSM to grab the direct link to the EPUB, knowing it most likely wouldn't work, but thought I'd try anyway. That didn't work.

After posting on GS yesterday, a Kobo support chap got in contact with me fairly quickly. It's not working yet, but it's good someone's on the case.