Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-30-2011, 10:19 PM   #1
mitch13
Groupie
mitch13 began at the beginning.

Device: Appraising the market
Kindle Books ex Amazon to Calibre

Just recently I have had problems with some books loading from my Kindle to Calibre. Been doing this upload for well over a year and a half without problems until recently.

All the books concerned were purchased (or free) from Amazon and downloaded wirelessly direct to my Kindle3. At first it was just books with an .awz1 extension (which is how they downloaded from Amazon).

Most times it seems it was my work PC (Windows XP SP3) and they had no problem loading into Calibre on my home laptop (Windows 7 Home Premium). Now I have found that a number of these (.awz1) files have a problem using on my laptop!

They loaded into Calibre but when I tried to 'View' them they came up with:

calibre, version 0.8.28
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>WindowsError</b>:[Error 1155] No application is associated with the specified file for this operation: u'E:\\Calibre\\Kay Shaw Nelson\\Cuisines of the Alps (Hippocrene Cookboo (9917)\\Cuisines of the Alps (Hippocrene Cookboo - Kay Shaw Nelson.azw1'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\actions\view.py", line 198, in view_book
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\actions\view.py", line 268, in _view_books
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\actions\view.py", line 236, in _view_calibre_books
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\actions\view.py", line 101, in view_format_by_id
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\actions\view.py", line 132, in _view_file
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\actions\view.py", line 122, in _launch_viewer
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\__init__.py", line 753, in open_local_file
WindowsError: [Error 1155] No application is associated with the specified file for this operation: u'E:\\Calibre\\Kay Shaw Nelson\\Cuisines of the Alps (Hippocrene Cookboo (9917)\\Cuisines of the Alps (Hippocrene Cookboo - Kay Shaw Nelson.azw1'

I have just tried loading some books with the normal .azw extension and a couple failed on loading to Calibre with the message:

calibre, version 0.8.28
WARNING: Failed to read metadata: Failed to read metadata from the following:

Nirvana Absolute Freedom-asin_B0056P02M0-type_EBOK-v_0.azw
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\add.py", line 129, in start
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\add.py", line 223, in add
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\add.py", line 236, in add_formats
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 1332, in add_format
File "shutil.py", line 48, in copyfileobj
IOError: [Errno 22] Invalid argument

HOOKED A Thriller-asin_B005KTOODU-type_EBOK-v_0.azw
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\add.py", line 129, in start
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\add.py", line 223, in add
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\add.py", line 236, in add_formats
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 1332, in add_format
File "shutil.py", line 48, in copyfileobj
IOError: [Errno 22] Invalid argument

I will try loading these at home via my laptop to see if I have the same problem. Weird as I loaded a few other .azw books at the same time with no problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions please.

mitch13
mitch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:39 AM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
The first error message is because you have Calibre configured to use the default Windows app for azw1, and it appears you have no app configured in Windows for that file extension. Right click on an azw1 file, select Open With, and select Kindle4PC and see if it opens there.

That said, the fact that Calibre didn't change the extension to .mobi or .htmlz seems to indicate that you don't have any Kindle specific tools installed, and the files are still drm encrypted - they probably won't be viewable on anything except the Kindle/Kindle App they were downloaded with. If this is the case try Googling Apprentice Alf.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:31 PM   #3
mitch13
Groupie
mitch13 began at the beginning.

Device: Appraising the market
Many thanks idolse.

Will give it a try.

mitch13
mitch13 is offline   Reply With Quote