Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-19-2009, 12:37 PM   #1
ooo
Enthusiast
ooo began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
Refurbished Units

So I dropped my PRS-700 and I sent it through the warranty and paid $30 to get it exchanged. The refurbished unit was sent to me, light scratches, I can deal with it. Dust in the center of the screen, eh whatever. The hinges aren't exactly sealed really well. Maybe a hairline gap on the top. I'll probably keep it until my warranty is about to expire, but I was wondering if I would have to pay another $30 to get it exchanged? Do we have to keep paying $30 to get our units exchanged?
ooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:49 PM   #2
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
I exchanged my 700 with Sony's exchange service in Loredo TX earlier this month; my battery wouldn't keep a charge. They received it on a Friday & sent me a refurbished one the same day. Mine replacement is fine; it looks just like a new one. As mine was still under warrenty I wasn't charged anything. Earlier when I had to send in my 505, I was charged $30 ($29.95) as it was still under warrenty for the parts, but not labor (or vice versa).
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2009, 10:36 PM   #3
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo View Post
So I dropped my PRS-700 and I sent it through the warranty and paid $30 to get it exchanged. The refurbished unit was sent to me, light scratches, I can deal with it. Dust in the center of the screen, eh whatever. The hinges aren't exactly sealed really well. Maybe a hairline gap on the top. I'll probably keep it until my warranty is about to expire, but I was wondering if I would have to pay another $30 to get it exchanged? Do we have to keep paying $30 to get our units exchanged?
call and report a problem with your received unit, they shouldn't charge your another $30.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:39 PM   #4
ooo
Enthusiast

The turn around time was about a week, while it wasn't horrible I'd love to have my device. Would I have to do it immediately or would I be able to exchange my unit in the future without the $30 fee?
Old 08-20-2009, 02:56 AM   #5
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

immediately would be my guess.
I cant see them not charging you without the conversation going.

I just received the New Unit, and it has these problems, why are you trying to rip me off. I'm very distressed about this, I waited a week, and this beat up 700 is what I get? I want one without dust problems or a scratched screen, what is wrong with your quality control? I want to speak to your manager. I want to be refunded the $30 for all these troubles with dealing with you.

etc etc.
Advert
Old 08-20-2009, 08:25 AM   #6
ooo
Enthusiast

Well I was just curious because that would mean people with the dust issue would have to keep paying $30 or at least the fee once to replace it. Am I right? I guess it would be better if I asked them.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:27 AM   #7
Andybaby
Wizard

assuming that you return a unit for dust problems under warrenty.

unless you receive a unit that is dust free you should NOT have to pay any service fees.

dust in the screen is a Manufacturing DEFECT, if you return it stating that a problem is dust in the screen, they should not then send you a unit with more dust in the screen.

that warrents an immediate phone call to Customer service management.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:37 AM   #8
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
I would simply check with Sony to find out what sort of warranty the refurb unit has. In my experience, refurb/factory exchanges usually have a 30 or 90 warranty. Basically enough time to figure out if something is wrong with it and get it exchanged again.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote