Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-15-2013, 11:01 PM   #31
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
My main complaint with my mini is the phone-app rendering mode, which looks like it'll get upgraded in iOS 7 anyway. (Short form: the rendering mode is currently blockier than it needs to be.) If that's true, I'll be a happy guy; a Retina mini would have a higher pixel density than I need, at the expense of battery life. I saw the same problem when I went from my iPod touch 3 to 4; it looked nice, but the battery life was abysmal.
I am experiencing better battery life on my retina iPad 4 than my non-retina iPad 2.

My iPod touch 4 had battery issues with a particular point release of iOS 4 and then again on a point release of iOS 5. But on the latest version of 5, my iPod touch is running fine....even 3 years later.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:18 PM   #32
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
I am experiencing better battery life on my retina iPad 4 than my non-retina iPad 2.
That's because Apple nearly doubled the battery I believe. iPad 3 was heavier and very slightly thicker than the iPad 2, iirc, and the slight increase in weight already gave them a lot of flak. The iPad Mini is fairly lightweight for its size and has exceptional battery life. Maintaining both while adding a power hungry retina display and a faster GPU to support the increased resolution would be quite a difficult feat (at least with current technology and processes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
My iPod touch 4 had battery issues with a particular point release of iOS 4 and then again on a point release of iOS 5. But on the latest version of 5, my iPod touch is running fine....even 3 years later.
Used as an ebook reader (even with display set to the dimmest setting), the iPod Touch 4th gen had pretty abysmal battery life particularly when compared to the iPhone 4. Sure, you get pretty long battery life for music playback but with the screen on, I get just around 4-6 hours (which is, thankfully, more than enough time to have my iPhone fully charged).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2013, 09:12 PM   #33
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Added new devices (as rumoured screen spec) for comparison purposes.
For me the difference between the 169 ppi of the Nook Tablet and the 216 ppi of the kindle fire hd is noticeable but not a huge deal. I don't think i'd be able to notice the difference between a 1080p 7 inch screen and a 720p screen, although i'd have to use a 1080p device before i could be sure.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:20 PM   #34
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
That's because Apple nearly doubled the battery I believe. iPad 3 was heavier and very slightly thicker than the iPad 2, iirc, and the slight increase in weight already gave them a lot of flak. The iPad Mini is fairly lightweight for its size and has exceptional battery life. Maintaining both while adding a power hungry retina display and a faster GPU to support the increased resolution would be quite a difficult feat (at least with current technology and processes).
I think the ipad mini partially compensates for its inferior resolution with a larger screen size, which allows for bigger text while still maintaining a comparable number of words per page as the seven inch devices. Despite its larger screen, the imini is lighter than any of the smaller hd tablets, another advantage that should not be underestimated and that could not be achieved if it had a higher resolution screen.

Last edited by spellbanisher; 07-16-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:16 PM   #35
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Even without a retina screen, iPad mini 2 could improve with a faster cpu and shaving a few millimeters.

I would still like to see a retina version for comparison at least. What will the tradeoffs be?

It is the mini form factor that I like, and which nobody has duplicated yet, much to my disappointment. I do not object to much about the price, if it meets my requirements, I will be using it for a long time. If not, it is a waste of money even if it is cheaper, because I'll have to get something else.

I am pretty vendor neutral at this point. Just waiting for the right thing to show up.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2013, 10:31 AM   #36
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbanisher View Post
For me the difference between the 169 ppi of the Nook Tablet and the 216 ppi of the kindle fire hd is noticeable but not a huge deal. I don't think i'd be able to notice the difference between a 1080p 7 inch screen and a 720p screen, although i'd have to use a 1080p device before i could be sure.
I used your post to try to notice a difference between my iPad mini and the nook HD on display at a B&N store. The quality was barely noticeable between the two even though the nook has much better PPI.

I doubt the new nexus will matter either.

Last edited by robertc88; 07-17-2013 at 10:42 AM.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #37
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
I used your post to try to notice a difference between my iPad mini and the nook HD on display at a B&N store. The quality was barely noticeable between the two even though the nook has much better PPI.

I don't know the mini, but the difference between the ipad2 and the nook HD is abysmal. And the new nexus will have roughly double the PPI of the mini, so I doubt it will be "barely noticeable".
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:29 PM   #38
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I'm not sure why some get so bent out of shape when others have issues with device screens, be it a Kindle Paperwhite or a Mac Mini. Everyone's eyesight is unique to them, so some will be fine with a screen and some will have issues.
Ditto that! MeSue, thanks for sharing this article and I will be disappointed too if it turns out to be true. The current iPad Mini just isn't good enough for me even though I really want one. I was mostly happy with my original Nook Color and then Kindle Fire when they first came out. However, now that I am used to my iPhone4 and iPad4 displays, I just can't tolerate those other devices for reading text. I recently bought a Nook HD due to the big discounts. I have liked reading on it thus far. Although sometimes my eyes have difficulty adjusting immediately when I switch between the tablet and an eink reader. But, I would still prefer an iPad mini over the Nook HD if they would only improve the screen.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:33 PM   #39
spellbanisher
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post

I think under certain conditions, the differences are noticeable, but for the way most people use their tablets it would not be.

For instance, i am creating this post with the kindle fire hd and a nook tablet with cm7 for the previous two posts. For reading a forum like mobileread the differences are pretty noticeable; the text looks blurry and coarse on the nook, although it is still readable, whereas text is sharp and smooth on the fire. The differences is quite noticeable.

Netflix movies actually look better on my nook tablet than on my fire, although to be fair netflix does not stream movies at hd resolution afaik. But if i compare an hd movie from amazon instant video to the same movie on netflix, the difference is usually only noticeable where there are closeups on faces.

For kindle books, text looks more jagged on the nook than on the kindle, although the jaggedness of the text is less noticeable the bigger i make the text. If the screen was bigger on the nook, which is the case with the mini, i could make the text bigger without sacrificing words per screen. However, even with the slight jaggedness of the text, i'd have no problem reading for extended periods of time on the nook tablet. Then again, i used to read on the ebookwise 1150 which had dot matrix text, so my standards are probably very low.

Last edited by spellbanisher; 07-17-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:34 PM   #40
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbanisher View Post
For kindle books, text looks more jagged on the nook than on the kindle, although the jaggedness of the text is less noticeable the bigger i make the text. If the screen was bigger on the nook, which is the case with the mini, i could make the text bigger without sacrificing words per screen. However, even with the slight jaggedness of the text, i'd have no problem reading for extended periods of time on the nook tablet. Then again, i used to read on the ebookwise 1150 which had dot matrix text, so my standards are probably very low.
I hate jaggies. That's the main reason I almost never used my iPad 2 for web browsing and fiction ebooks (preferred the iPhone 4). There were times I won't use the iPad 2 for a month or so. The iPad with Retina, I use everyday. It's become my preferred device for web browsing.

Really, retina or non-retina I think boils down to individual preferences (and eyesight).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:29 PM   #41
spellbanisher
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I hate jaggies. That's the main reason I almost never used my iPad 2 for web browsing and fiction ebooks (preferred the iPhone 4). There were times I won't use the iPad 2 for a month or so. The iPad with Retina, I use everyday. It's become my preferred device for web browsing.

Really, retina or non-retina I think boils down to individual preferences (and eyesight).
Jaggies are nothing that good marketing can't fix. They provide an edgier and more rugged reading experience.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:55 AM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Even without a retina screen, iPad mini 2 could improve with a faster cpu and shaving a few millimeters.

I would still like to see a retina version for comparison at least. What will the tradeoffs be?
The biggest downside to a retina screen is the MUCH higher power consumption, so you either end up with a significantly shorter battery life, or a bigger battery and hence a heavier device. That's what happened between the iPad 2 and the iPad 3. The iPad 3 is significantly heavier than the 2 due to its larger (hence heavier) battery.

Last edited by HarryT; 07-19-2013 at 04:15 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #43
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The biggest downside to a retina screen is the MUCH higher power consumption, so you either end up with a significantly shorter battery life, or a bigger battery and hence a heavier device. That's what happened between the iPad 2 and the iPad 3. The iPad 3 is significantly heavier than the 2 due to its larger (hence heavier) battery.
I would probably find that tradeoff (better screen, heavier device) acceptable. I think Apple prioritizes thinness and lightness a little too much in some cases. My iPod Touch for example has pathetic battery life. Wish it had a bigger battery.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I would probably find that tradeoff (better screen, heavier device) acceptable. I think Apple prioritizes thinness and lightness a little too much in some cases. My iPod Touch for example has pathetic battery life. Wish it had a bigger battery.
Yes, I agree. I think Apple made the right choice with the iPad in preserving battery life at the expense of weight.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:13 PM   #45
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The iPad 3 is significantly heavier than the 2 due to its larger (hence heavier) battery.
The iPad 3 only weighs 0.11 lbs or 1.75 oz or 8% more than iPad 2, which is not significantly heavier, but it is noticeable.

If Apple does not bring a retina display they are going to lose much more marketshare to android imo.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote