Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-02-2012, 12:47 PM   #76
zwarbles
Connoisseur
zwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura about

Device: iPad, Nook, NC, NST, Kobo, Nook Glo, K4, KPW Touch
Mine has some dark spots on the bottom and a bluish hue on the upper right hand side.

I put it side by side with my Nook Glow, and the PW has much better contrast and sharper text (I used the same font & size to compere).

The screen is whiter than the Nook but not drastically. (Again, I put brightness up all the way on both readers to be fair).

Page turning is a breeze with the pw and can easily be done while holding the book. I also had mine in the fuschia cover while trying it and it was a perfect feel.

I'll have to really try reading with it to see if the blotchy screen will bother me or not.

Overall, it seems okay.
zwarbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:48 PM   #77
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonex View Post
Is this new screen using a glass substrate or a plastic substrate?
Glass screen, covered with plastic light guide. You will damage the plastic surface (causing bright spots) before breaking the substrate in most cases.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #78
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
Here's how I would characterize mine after having some more time with it: there's actually a sort of criss-cross hatch pattern starting at the bottom of the screen that can be seen (if you really look for it) for about a fifth of the way up the screen. The pattern is basically a variation between darker and brighter areas (natch), where it looks like there are patches of shadow alternating with bright spots.
Sounds about like the view you see with some matte (non-glossy) screen shields, so probably not a big deal. Those take a while to adjust to, but after a while you get use to reading through them and stop noticing the effect.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:57 PM   #79
linnx88
Enthusiast
linnx88 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Besides the dark/light blossoms at the bottom, is anyone seeing what looks like a bluish-grey splotch or large spot in the upper-mid section of the screen?? Because I'm seeing that

Shame on Bezos for not even HINTING at this in all the ads. When you watch the paperwhite video on Amazon, it looks NOTHING like in real life where you have light bleed, light blossoms and greyish splotches on the screen. Without the lighting, the screen is a tiny bit whiter than my previous kindle wi-fi 3rd model.

Should I return mine or is this the same for everyone?
linnx88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #80
zwarbles
Connoisseur
zwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura about

Yes, mine has that bluish hue/splotch on the upper right hand side.
Advert
Old 10-02-2012, 01:07 PM   #81
linnx88
Enthusiast
linnx88 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwarbles View Post
Yes, mine has that bluish hue/splotch on the upper right hand side.
I was afraid of this. Seems like a major defect of this "state-of-the-art" technology.
linnx88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:08 PM   #82
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by linnx88 View Post
Besides the dark/light blossoms at the bottom, is anyone seeing what looks like a bluish-grey splotch or large spot in the upper-mid section of the screen??
Not seeing any kind of splotches like that. I wonder if there is a problem with the lamination on some of these screens?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #83
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
So it looks like a hack will be needed, to FIND the light adjustment if you power it on in a dark room when it was off.

We need a hack to turn it on at each power up long enough so you can find the adjustment... Perhaps after complaints from users, amazon may even add that to a future firmware update.
Or just leave the light on all the time. We would have the light in a brighter setting when reading in light so when turning it on in the dark I would expect to need to lower the brightness. The only exception is for outside reading I guess but even then, I don't see the harm in leaving the light on.
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #84
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Does this "bluish-grey splotch" show up in pictures? I'm interested to see what this looks like. Also as I've learned, it's usually not good to be on the first wave of shipped products for some defects such as this. Being an international customer where I can't even order the paperwhite yet has forced me to wait. Hopefully if these are just production defects they can get it sorted out with newer constructed units.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:22 PM   #85
zwarbles
Connoisseur

I have to actually load a book onto it and see. I noticed all of this during set-up and reading the Kindle guide.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:28 PM   #86
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbookworm View Post
I saw that picture earlier (PRS-700) and wanted to say "Awww.... it's like looking at e-reader baby pictures!" I mentioned this on another thread, but isn't it so ironic that Sony was the first company to introduce an e-ink reader with integrated light and now they're the only one that doesn't have one? Did they just give up because it didn't work out the first time?
I doubt it. Clearly they have the knowledge and technology to produce a superior ereader. Why they don't, is anyone's guess. Although this pic is taken in portrait mode, I never used this reader in portrait mode because of where the LEDs were situated. If I read from side to side, I would be reading from the light, back into the light, which makes my eyes constantly need to adjust. If I put it in landscape mode, the entire line would have the same amount of illumination. Also, the lights were a little blue, but because the reader was so non-white, it actually gave it a pleasant warm appearance when reading in low light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

Top to bottom: Kindle Touch, Kindle Paperwhite (light off), Kindle Paperwhite (light at top setting)

What I want to know is why on the PW is the word red- (with the dash) not on the 4th line?
Because it's treated as one word, and if it started on the 4th line, it would need to read "red--" and there isn't enough space for "red--".
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #87
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Shame on Bezos for not even HINTING at this in all the ads. When you watch the paperwhite video on Amazon, it looks NOTHING like in real life where you have light bleed, light blossoms and greyish splotches on the screen. Without the lighting, the screen is a tiny bit whiter than my previous kindle wi-fi 3rd model.
What does the screen look like with the light at its brightest setting? Maybe this is what we were seeing in the ads?
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:36 PM   #88
wynand32
Enthusiast
wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Quote:
Besides the dark/light blossoms at the bottom, is anyone seeing what looks like a bluish-grey splotch or large spot in the upper-mid section of the screen?? Because I'm seeing that
I'm not seeing that on mine. Other than the pattern at the bottom fifth of the screen, mine is very nice and uniform.

Be sure to take a microfiber cloth to the screen before concluding anything, however. I've found that it's very sensitive to fingerprints, which can create spots on the screen that look darker/lighter depending on the angle. If you clean yours well and it still has the spot, then yours might unfortunately be defective.
wynand32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:39 PM   #89
jswinden
Nameless Being

Got mine. I'm just starting to test it out. Very preliminary findings which might change with time:

Screen with light turned all the way down (off):
  • The screen background is noticeably darker gray than on my Touch.
  • Text is VERY noticeably lighter (faded) than on my Touch.
  • Fonts look to be about on par with those on my Touch.

Screen with light turned on at level 10:
  • The screen background is noticeably lighter gray than on my Touch, but still very much gray.
  • Text is VERY noticeably lighter (faded) than on my Touch.
  • Light shadows at bottom of page are noticeable but can be ignored fairly easily.
  • Light shadows across page are not yet noticeable.
  • Light bleeding around edges NOT noticeable.

Screen with light turned on at level 14:
  • The screen background is noticeably lighter gray than on my Touch, but still gray.
  • Text is noticeably lighter (faded) than on my Touch.
  • Light shadows at bottom of page are VERY noticeable and rather annoying.
  • Light shadows across page are becoming noticeable.
  • Light bleeding around edges NOT noticeable.

Screen with light turned on at level 18:
  • The screen background is noticeably lighter gray than on my Touch, but still gray.
  • Light shadows at bottom of page are EXTREMELY noticeable and VERY annoying.
  • Light shadows across page are becoming more noticeable and SOMEWHAT annoying.
  • Light bleeding around edges BARELY noticeable.

Screen with light turned on at level 24 (brightest setting):
  • The screen background is noticeably lighter gray than on my Touch, but still mostly gray with splotches of white areas.
  • Light shadows at bottom of page are EXTREMELY noticeable and EXTREMELY annoying.
  • Light shadows across page are becoming more VERY and VERY annoying.
  • Light bleeding around edges FAIRLY noticeable.

Notes on the Fonts:

The above screen tests were done with the Page Refresh Every Page turned Off. After I remembered to turn it On the fonts displayed much better. A huge improvement. There are only two fonts exactly the same as on the Touch, they are Caecilia and Caecilia Condensed. Well maybe 3 as Helvetica might be used on the Touch for sans serif, but I'm not sure. Anyway, looking at Caecilia and Caecilia Condensed on both Kindles the PW has the slightly thicker font, however the screen still makes the fonts on the PW look somewhat to very faded depending on screen brightness.

Initial Thoughts on Screen

I'm not at all happy with what I've seen thus far. I need to spend time reading, as in a few hours, to see if there is any eyestrain. If so I'm sending it back. Now I've got a slight bit of OCD so I'm indeed more bothered by non-uniform screen splotchiness than most people probably are. So I'm going to wait until I've read extensively on it under various conditions to make the decision.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:39 PM   #90
zwarbles
Connoisseur

Not the best pictures, but enough where you can see the splotchy parts on the screen. It almost looks like a diamond pattern. It looks worse in person.

Last edited by zwarbles; 10-02-2012 at 01:51 PM.